• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

I know it’s preseason but…

NAS

Offense looked solid. Want to see what happened on that sack with the all-22, don't know if the look was there and he hesitated or if the guy was genuinely covered; as well as the checkdown on the 3rd down, don't know if that was by design to make it 4th and manageable or if others were open past the sticks.

Can't argue with a TD though so I'd rate it a B+ outing for the starting offense with room to go down or up based on the film.

Also, there were 2 throws across the middle, including the one to Matthews in the EZ. The narrative that Bryce can't see over his line is and has always been dumb. Arm strength and slight frame? Yes those are concerns, but he can throw over the middle.

• Pie 1

1 hour ago, CRA said:

I mean, Bryce played the same part of the field he always plays…..but against backups. 

the one time he looked downfield he took a sack 

don’t think we have seen enough to say much 

He had 8 pass attempts lol the NFL is not a league you just say fug it and sling the ball deep every other play

• Pie 3
  • Beer 1
  • Flames 1

33 minutes ago, Ricky Spanish said:

Offense looked solid. Want to see what happened on that sack with the all-22, don't know if the look was there and he hesitated or if the guy was genuinely covered; as well as the checkdown on the 3rd down, don't know if that was by design to make it 4th and manageable or if others were open past the sticks.

Can't argue with a TD though so I'd rate it a B+ outing for the starting offense with room to go down or up based on the film.

Also, there were 2 throws across the middle, including the one to Matthews in the EZ. The narrative that Bryce can't see over his line is and has always been dumb. Arm strength and slight frame? Yes those are concerns, but he can throw over the middle.

Bryce has always played the middle of the field.  That might be one of his stronger areas in reality.  Issue I think most are talking about is he can’t play inside certain pockets/depths because of his size that others can. 

on that TD for example, look at the depth and distance he has from the defenders while scanning the field.  Give Bryce those looks? He will make the right play.   That’s basically a dream setup for him. IMG_4630.thumb.jpeg.cf67e36cb6bc37abc80c3774f38408eb.jpeg

my favorite throw today was the other you mentioned to Sanders.  He climbed up the pocket and hit him.  That one wasn’t an ideal setup.  Think everything else he did was breaking out of the pocket today 

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

31 minutes ago, Ricky Spanish said:

Look I think today was best case scenario for the o and Bryce.  But it's pretty clear he has to move around in the pocket to see his throwing lanes.   That's not going to change.   Will it work consistently over time. That's the question.   I'll re-watch tomorrow n8ght and pinpoint the plays he was doing it

9 minutes ago, CRA said:

Bryce has always played the middle of the field.  That might be one of his stronger areas in reality.  Issue I think most are talking about is he can’t play inside certain pockets/depths because of his size that others can. 

on that TD for example, look at the depth and distance he has from the defenders while scanning the field.  Give Bryce those looks? He will make the right play.   That’s basically a dream setup for him. IMG_4630.thumb.jpeg.cf67e36cb6bc37abc80c3774f38408eb.jpeg

In reality that needs to be cleaned up.   But for today that's picking nits

17 minutes ago, mrBdawg said:

He had 8 pass attempts lol the NFL is not a league you just say fug it and sling the ball deep every other play

Who is arguing it is? 

I think Bryce Young needed more reps simply to get the opportunity to experience reps in this O.   Bryce for the 2nd year in a row is one of the least repped QBs in preseason (and on his 2nd O). 

Every Canales O has been about chunk passes.  Bryce repped so little his 1 attempt at that….was a sack.  That’s it.  So yeah, I think Bryce should have seen more reps.  And those reps should have been earlier. 

Bryce also goes into the season….not having 1 live rep with his brand new and questionable C. That’s on Dave. 

that’s just basics IMO everyone should of wanted this preseason 

16 minutes ago, mrcompletely11 said:

Look I think today was best case scenario for the o and Bryce.  But it's pretty clear he has to move around in the pocket to see his throwing lanes.   That's not going to change.   Will it work consistently over time. That's the question.   I'll re-watch tomorrow n8ght and pinpoint the plays he was doing it

I don't necessarily think it's a bad thing, and I don't think Canales does either. The 2.7 second rule that Canales talks about has more to do with knowing that's when pockets tend to collapse rather than ball HAS to be out. once 2.7 seconds hit is when I think they want Bryce to start moving and making plays like he did in college, and using his strengths at improvisation. The throw to Johnson, where he scrambled to the left, Johnson was his 3rd or 4th read on that play, he was looking opposite side of the field, timer went off in his head, he scrambled and made something happen. That was a really good play on that drive for a decent chunk gain. I hope we see more of that this year rather than scrambling into sacks like the deep throw that wasn't in this game.

• Pie 2

2 minutes ago, ForJimmy said:

He got his players warmed up like some people were wanting. I’m still waiting on the regular season, but it feels good to see actual touchdowns preseason or not. 

Really wish Corbett could have made it out there today.  Guess that’s the only real complaint to be made. 

But congrats to him and he shouldn’t have made the trip. Not questioning his priorities.  But sucks he didn’t get some real looks with Bryce.  He might be the biggest ? mark going into this season.  

1 minute ago, CRA said:

Really wish Corbett could have made it out there today.  Guess that’s the only real complaint to be made. 

But congrats to him and he shouldn’t have made the trip. Not questioning his priorities.  But sucks he didn’t get some real looks with Bryce.  He might be the biggest ? mark going into this season.  

Raym looked decent against backups and he is an actual center. I agree with Corbett being a concern. Maybe we are trying to develop Raym and have a legit backup behind him?

• Pie 1