• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Game Thread: Panthers at Bills

3 minutes ago, MHS831 said:

It was a preseason statement.  Three games have been played.  I did provide data and reasons for my statement about the season that has not been played--I can't give you data for the 2024 season, but I can tell you that I stand by statement based on the information I have---give me your list--since the data is available.  You said my comment was "insane"---you had to be basing your opinion on facts, right?  List:

I am not poring through years of data to compare three preseason games to(not to mention the obvious stat that goes back to 1995 is AV and that includes full season data). That's completely insane and it proves nothing.

If you want to re-visit this in Jan. of 2025, set an alarm and I will gladly spend the hours comparing all the available metrics to see if you are correct or not. Not a problem at all. But....preseason????

Philadelphia 76Ers Basketball GIF

1 hour ago, kungfoodude said:

Show your work on why Zavala and Nijman are good backups after one horrible season and one guy that has played zero snaps? BC I will give you.

For that matter, name a great starter on the OL other than Moton? Did you forget that we are trotting out a guy that has never played center, two high priced free agent signings and a LT that was terrible last season?

I get that we watched a good PRESEASON GAME AGAINST BUFFALO BACKUPS but let's not lose our minds here. Maybe take less of a swig of wild hyperbole and a big gulp of "wait and see." 

Calm Down Chill Out GIF

Feels good to have any reason to be excited. If they had sucked I would have had zero hope this season. The team has been so bad and fans need something.

1 hour ago, kungfoodude said:

Sure, at a place regarded as almost always having solid lines. Which, they also opted to let him walk too.

Point being, maybe we just calm down and see some live reps before we start annointing GOAT status to a bunch of guys who have either never played here or have never been great here.

I hope that turns out to be true but I would think after the past 6 years of this purgatory that people would be a little more tempered in their takes after.....one good preseason game.

Oh I’m not saying they are GOAT status. I’m saying it nice to have some decent depth for a change. We have a swing tackle and OG who are capable starters. Center is still a bit of a question mark, but I can understand someone having optimism about our OL for a change. 

41 minutes ago, ForJimmy said:

Oh I’m not saying they are GOAT status. I’m saying it nice to have some decent depth for a change. We have a swing tackle and OG who are capable starters. Center is still a bit of a question mark, but I can understand someone having optimism about our OL for a change

150 mil on two players ought to do that. Did for me. 
I won’t trust Zavala until game planning is implemented and stunts are worked by 1st string opposition.
He fairly earned his way in the doghouse last year he can earn his way out this year. Maybe. 
About the same with Icky it’s not quite as extreme. We have seen him do better. 

Edited by strato
  • Pie 1

2 hours ago, Donald LaFell said:

Feels good to have any reason to be excited. If they had sucked I would have had zero hope this season. The team has been so bad and fans need something.

I am not getting excited about one preseason game. We are too far into this mess for that. It was nice to see and I hope it's what we see Week 1 too but until the bullets are real, I am just gonna wait and see.

1 hour ago, ForJimmy said:

Oh I’m not saying they are GOAT status. I’m saying it nice to have some decent depth for a change. We have a swing tackle and OG who are capable starters. Center is still a bit of a question mark, but I can understand someone having optimism about our OL for a change. 

I was pumped about drafting Zavala and actually paying attention to depth(same with drafting Ikey and finally paying attention to LT). Now the results were pretty rough, obviously. But it's nice to see that the team cares about this. Look at a guy like BC who we drafted and is now a very capable swing lineman for us. That's the kind of thing we need to keep doing and probably double down on. 

The depth is still very questionable but hopefully it won't we the disaster that we had the previous few years.

• Pie 2

21 hours ago, toldozer said:

He absolutely should not have played more. He led a touch down drive He gained some confidence that was the point. Get him the fug outta there

I missed the point, I meant he should have played in the other 2 pre-season games. You are right about that one TD ending series, that was enough. 

52 minutes ago, Stuart Smith said:

At this point defense concerns me more than offense, that’s different. 

Since 2021 we have had 12 picks 3rd round and higher. 

We have take 3 players for the defense and 9 for the offense and that does not count the picks we gave away for the QB. Which were substantial. 
We are probably 20% invested in defense with our top good picks in the last 4 years  plus traded Burns to get one of those, that was used for offense. 
The fact is we have spent two third rounders and one 1st on the defense in 4 years. All other defensive investments were 4th round and later.  

• Beer 1

8 hours ago, TLGPanthersFan said:

Commentary said the 3rd and 6 may have been designed that way but if so I don’t understand why you call a play that doesn’t get you a first down if successful. 
I mean Bryce had time. He wasn’t even pressured. 

The play was designed to gain enough yardage to make a 4th down more manageable. In short yardage situations, as opposed to our usual 3rd and long scenarios—where we often end up with 4th and long after a halfback draw—this approach was intended to improve our position.

With a bit more time, the quarterback could have hit Thielen for the first down. However, the play called for a quick release, and Mingo should have gained more yards after the catch (YAC). The defensive back was too close, which is why Thielen managed to get open just a split second later.

What deserves more attention is that there were no drops—all catchable balls were secured. The first down play to Thielen was especially noteworthy; it was a type of play I haven't seen from any Panthers offense before. It looked so effortless, as if we actually have offensive plays designed to spread the field effectively.

10 hours ago, CAROLINAPANTHERDAY1 said:

The play was designed to gain enough yardage to make a 4th down more manageable. In short yardage situations, as opposed to our usual 3rd and long scenarios—where we often end up with 4th and long after a halfback draw—this approach was intended to improve our position.

With a bit more time, the quarterback could have hit Thielen for the first down. However, the play called for a quick release, and Mingo should have gained more yards after the catch (YAC). The defensive back was too close, which is why Thielen managed to get open just a split second later.

What deserves more attention is that there were no drops—all catchable balls were secured. The first down play to Thielen was especially noteworthy; it was a type of play I haven't seen from any Panthers offense before. It looked so effortless, as if we actually have offensive plays designed to spread the field effectively.

I am hoping it was because it was preseason because we don’t need to be doing that during the season. 
As I said we would have punted. 

15 hours ago, RJK said:

Just watching some highlights and that throw to Dionte Johnson on 4th down is nasty. I’ve been waiting for a throw to give me some confidence in Bryce and that was it for me. 

And that's the type of throw he can make that everyone else can't. He doesn't have a rocket launcher attached to his shoulder, but those odd angle throws are just as impressive to me. And it's rare to have both - insert Patrick Mahomes. 

• Beer 1