• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Game Thread: Panthers at Bills

1 hour ago, PNW_PantherMan said:

This video quality sucks, but it has all the plays from the opening drive.  If you go back and watch his depth in the pocket, it's completely different.  The roll out on 1st down was good.  We need to do more of that.  Then on 2nd down he just stands in there and throws a strike.  He almost never did that last year.  He would start in the gun and then take a few steps backward from there.  I liked what I saw with that.  It indicates that the coaching is actually working.

Commentary said the 3rd and 6 may have been designed that way but if so I don’t understand why you call a play that doesn’t get you a first down if successful. 
I mean Bryce had time. He wasn’t even pressured. 

2 hours ago, MHS831 said:

Name the depth on a previous offensive line that was better.  Not the starters--just to help you out.  Zavala, Christensen, Nijman--so instead of just blasting insults, blast facts.

Show your work on why Zavala and Nijman are good backups after one horrible season and one guy that has played zero snaps? BC I will give you.

For that matter, name a great starter on the OL other than Moton? Did you forget that we are trotting out a guy that has never played center, two high priced free agent signings and a LT that was terrible last season?

I get that we watched a good PRESEASON GAME AGAINST BUFFALO BACKUPS but let's not lose our minds here. Maybe take less of a swig of wild hyperbole and a big gulp of "wait and see." 

Calm Down Chill Out GIF

1 minute ago, kungfoodude said:

Show your work on why Zavala and Nijman are good backups after one horrible season and one guy that has played zero snaps? BC I will give you.

For that matter, name a great starter on the OL other than Moton? Did you forget that we are trotting out a guy that has never played center, two high priced free agent signings and a LT that was terrible last season?

I get that we watched a good PRESEASON GAME AGAINST BUFFALO BACKUPS but let's not lose our minds here. Maybe take less of a swig of wild hyperbole and a big gulp of "wait and see." 

Calm Down Chill Out GIF

Yosh logged plenty of snaps as LT for the Packers. I’m not researching much info, but from what I’ve heard he was serviceable as a starter. That sounds like a decent piece for depth. BC is proven to be a capable starter too. 

The thought is our backups holding their own against a stronger roster’s backups in Buffalo is promising. Yeah it’s only preseason though so I’m sure Buffalo was running some vanilla defense. 

11 minutes ago, kungfoodude said:

Calm Down Chill Out GIF

Zavala was one of the worst guards in the NFL last year.  He's been consistently better than he was in each of the preseason games.

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

7 minutes ago, ForJimmy said:

Yosh logged plenty of snaps as LT for the Packers. I’m not researching much info, but from what I’ve heard he was serviceable as a starter. That sounds like a decent piece for depth. BC is proven to be a capable starter too. 

The thought is our backups holding their own against a stronger roster’s backups in Buffalo is promising. Yeah it’s only preseason though so I’m sure Buffalo was running some vanilla defense. 

Sure, at a place regarded as almost always having solid lines. Which, they also opted to let him walk too.

Point being, maybe we just calm down and see some live reps before we start annointing GOAT status to a bunch of guys who have either never played here or have never been great here.

I hope that turns out to be true but I would think after the past 6 years of this purgatory that people would be a little more tempered in their takes after.....one good preseason game.

3 minutes ago, PNW_PantherMan said:

Zavala was one of the worst guards in the NFL last year.  He's been consistently better than he was in each of the preseason games.

Excellent. I agree. Now lets just watch it translate to real games. 

He will get ample opportunities to play as it is unlikely we see the guards stay healthy for 100% of the season. 

Maybe in the end he makes one of those contracts look very foolish. I'm okay with that.

• Beer 1

1 minute ago, kungfoodude said:

Excellent. I agree. Now lets just watch it translate to real games. 

He will get ample opportunities to play as it is unlikely we see the guards stay healthy for 100% of the season. 

Maybe in the end he makes one of those contracts look very foolish. I'm okay with that.

I'm just riding this wave for 2 weeks.

• Pie 2
  • Beer 1

3 minutes ago, PNW_PantherMan said:

I'm just riding this wave for 2 weeks.

I got very little of a high from the game. It was nice to see but it's not a real game. I need to see real games and then we can start figuring out what we have. I figure by week 5-7, what we have will be revealed. 

28 minutes ago, kungfoodude said:

Calm Down Chill Out GIF

What do you mean "just chill?"  Re-read your response to my post--I was pretty calm considering the fact that you were a condescending dickhole.  Now, to respond to your refusal to provide a backup squad like I asked, I am basing it--like everything else on this thread--on the preseason.  Zavala has had very impressive PFF scores,  coaches approval and specific comments, my observations, etc. Nijman?  His PFF score over the past 4 seasons is over a 60 each year.  Aaron Rodgers said he did not worry about the left side when he was playing.  I also watched some of his video when we signed him--he is good enough to start on some teams.   You seem to think I need current data for my opinion when you offered NOTHING to support your shallow, middle-schoolish attack.  I don't debate with people like you because you seem to think offering a counter opinion involves no evidence just a personal attack---It was my opinion based on what I have seen--and I was an offensive line coach for a multiple state champion high school--so I know how to break down film.  What is the source of your expertise?  So either put up facts or shut up.

Edited by MHS831

6 minutes ago, kungfoodude said:

I got very little of a high from the game. It was nice to see but it's not a real game. I need to see real games and then we can start figuring out what we have. I figure by week 5-7, what we have will be revealed. 

I hear Hope is making a comeback. Until the water is frozen in PNC it’s all we got. 

All kidding aside, it was refreshing to see us look like a pro team yesterday, but I’m with you dude. Im a skeptic until I see 1v1s in a game that matters. Tapper’s beaten the hope outta me. 

As another aside, I’m really liking Dave Canalas.  For all our sake I hope he’s very successful here. 

• Beer 2

Now, provide your list of players (include year) that were reserve linemen who are clearly better than the three I just mentioned--of course the season has not been played yet--this is my projection--and you have the advantage of hindsight and can select from 29 seasons.  I will wait to see this juggernaut of a backup OL you reference.

6 minutes ago, MHS831 said:

What do you mean "just chill?"  Re-read your response to my post--I was pretty calm considering the fact that you were a condescending dickhole.  Now, to respond to your refusal to provide a backup squad like I asked, I am basing it--like everything else on this thread--on the preseason.  Zavala has had very impressive PFF scores,  coaches approval and specific comments, my observations, etc. Nijman?  His PFF score over the past 4 seasons is over a 60 each year.  Aaron Rodgers said he did not worry about the left side when he was playing.  I also watched some of his video when we signed him--he is good enough to start on some teams.   You seem to think I need current data for my opinion when you offered NOTHING to support your shallow, middle-schoolish attack.  I don't debate with people like you because you seem to think offering a counter opinion involves no evidence just a personal attack---It was my opinion based on what I have seen--and I was an offensive line coach for a multiple state champion high school--so I know how to break down film.  What is the source of your expertise?  So either put up facts or shut up.

You are also offering zero data. That's all anecdotal, you do realize(minus non-Panthers PFF data).

I offer none in return because all data I could throw back(PFF/AV/etc) literally has nothing to compare to. We haven't played a single game with this unit much less a season to even be able to gather actual data to base your statement on.

Hence why I said chill. Maybe my tone felt dickish but it was actually tongue in cheek. Regardless, the point that maybe we let this play out before the wild hyperbole. I don't personally hold that belief at all, so it costs me nothing but I would suggest you don't go into this season with those kind of expectations. If recent history as Panthers fans has taught us anything it's that we need to see this poo happen before believing any of that type of hype.

Hey, I hope you are right. We haven't had a solid starting line alone in years and our depth has been miserable for almost a decade(reference my years of bitching about our OL depth).

7 minutes ago, TheCandyMan said:

I hear Hope is making a comeback. Until the water is frozen in PNC it’s all we got. 

All kidding aside, it was refreshing to see us look like a pro team yesterday, but I’m with you dude. Im a skeptic until I see 1v1s in a game that matters. Tapper’s beaten the hope outta me. 

As another aside, I’m really liking Dave Canalas.  For all our sake I hope he’s very successful here. 

I just want to see competence, some semblance of order and a taste of what a professional football team is supposed to look like.  Make not mistake, this is a TERRIBLE roster. But, if we reveal a few core guys that we didn't have before and at least a few of our offseason additions look like competent ones, then hope may be back for 2025. 

IDGAF about the wins. Just show me competence and we wikl go from there.

Also, I basically made this exact same statement last offseason/preseason so....yaknow....

• Pie 1

6 minutes ago, kungfoodude said:

You are also offering zero data. That's all anecdotal, you do realize(minus non-Panthers PFF data).

I offer none in return because all data I could throw back(PFF/AV/etc) literally has nothing to compare to. We haven't played a single game with this unit much less a season to even be able to gather actual data to base your statement on.

Hence why I said chill. Maybe my tone felt dickish but it was actually tongue in cheek. Regardless, the point that maybe we let this play out before the wild hyperbole. I don't personally hold that belief at all, so it costs me nothing but I would suggest you don't go into this season with those kind of expectations. If recent history as Panthers fans has taught us anything it's that we need to see this poo happen before believing any of that type of hype.

Hey, I hope you are right. We haven't had a solid starting line alone in years and our depth has been miserable for almost a decade(reference my years of bitching about our OL depth).

It was a preseason statement.  Three games have been played.  I did provide data and reasons for my statement about the season that has not been played--I can't give you data for the 2024 season, but I can tell you that I stand by statement based on the information I have---give me your list--since the data is available.  You said my comment was "insane"---you had to be basing your opinion on facts, right?  List:

Edited by MHS831