• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Roster cuts

25 minutes ago, 33inNC said:

Yep, he is much worse. He seems to get absolutely blown up by CB's every time he catches a pass. He isn't that good of a blocker either. 

I don't know where this new notion of Ian Thomas being an elite blocker came from. I actually thought Tremble was much better at it than Ian with slightly more upside in the passing game. Tremble, Sanders, and Matthews would have been a decent group. 

• Pie 2
  • Beer 2

54 minutes ago, PNW_PantherMan said:

His career numbers would be a pretty great season.

Those 150 yards per season, every one of those yards is.... huge. Well worth it.

He must be the ultimate locker room guy. 

10 hours ago, Shocker said:

People calling for Frank Gore Jr must like pedigree.  He is very undersized and not fast either.  He plays very hard but he isn’t a pro RB IMHO

Ive seen plenty of running backs with simply average speed but I'm more interested in how hard he plays. That play hard mentality many times sets players apart from others and transfers to success on the field. It's mostly mental and he has that.

• Pie 1

1 hour ago, Ricky Prickles said:

Ive seen plenty of running backs with simply average speed but I'm more interested in how hard he plays. That play hard mentality many times sets players apart from others and transfers to success on the field. It's mostly mental and he has that.

Vision is much more important than speed--rarely is a back at full speed if you think about it.  I remember reading about Franco Harris' backfield mate at Penn State-Lydell Mitchell.  He was a star for the Colts for several years.  He reportedly ran (this was 50 years ago) a 5.0 flat 40 yard dash.  We have faster offensive tackles now.

• Beer 1

I mean Ian Thomas has made it through what 4 coaching regimes now? He has to be doing something right. This isn't a Bersin situation, where he was the owners neighbor ( talk about meddling )

Edit : or his competition has been that bad ( didn't seem like it this year )

Edited by PanthersGTI

1 hour ago, PanthersGTI said:

I mean Ian Thomas has made it through what 4 coaching regimes now? He has to be doing something right. This isn't a Bersin situation, where he was the owners neighbor ( talk about meddling )

Edit : or his competition has been that bad ( didn't seem like it this year )

He took a pay cut to avoid being cut at least once.  Think about it--we have been weak at TE for most of his career. I have been screaming for one for some time--TE is never a priority, so he has not been competing against top talent.  Hayden Hurst?  Maybe, but he got hurt and underperformed.

21 minutes ago, MHS831 said:

He took a pay cut to avoid being cut at least once.  Think about it--we have been weak at TE for most of his career. I have been screaming for one for some time--TE is never a priority, so he has not been competing against top talent.  Hayden Hurst?  Maybe, but he got hurt and underperformed.

So just a case of everyone else was worse. LOL. I don't even want a Greg Olsen, can I get a Kris Mangum? 

• Pie 2

1 hour ago, MHS831 said:

Vision is much more important than speed--rarely is a back at full speed if you think about it.  I remember reading about Franco Harris' backfield mate at Penn State-Lydell Mitchell.  He was a star for the Colts for several years.  He reportedly ran (this was 50 years ago) a 5.0 flat 40 yard dash.  We have faster offensive tackles now.

I will take vision every time over speed for a running back and will take an aggressive go hard temperament over anything else especially a position with a high rate of direct contact multiple times per game guaranteed. Game speed and just speed is such a different monster in my opinion. I've worked beside guys who had a slow 40 yet looked untouchable on the field during play. Combine that with the right mentality and some good vision and you may have a diamond in the rough. I would not count out Gore Jr. at all. If somebody picks him up, they may discover that sometimes genetics and who parented someone can have a huge impact. Regardless of who his dad is, he runs hard and from what I saw plays very hard without fear of any contact at all. I thought he plays bigger than he actually is and you just can't coach mentality once they are past the high school level. It's either there or it isn't. He has it and if given a chance will probably do something with that shot.

• Pie 1

19 minutes ago, XClown1986 said:

So waiver claims have to be submitted by noon today... Waiting till the last minute to announce these claims I see...

not sure how it works--do all teams announce their claims at noon, then they trickle down?  I wondered about this myself