• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Roster cuts

2 minutes ago, MHS831 said:

This is going to sound cra--because it might be.  How I view the D based on the glimpses we got of players in preseason.

I think the ILB position and depth is a positive I did not expect. I thought  we'd be wading through the waiver wire....Wallace is looking like a steal.   Cherelus was decent.  Our starters are 30 and 29, so it is good to see some youth behind them.

At OLB, I am concerned--which Clowney are we getting--the 9.5 sack Clowney or the "did he play today?" Clowney.  We have not seen him or Wonnum or Barno.  Leota had more than one good game--he holds the edge better than any of the OLBs we had in preseason and he was pressuring the pocket a lot--vs. second team OL.  i know nothing about Chaisson after 3 weeks but hope that he sees this as a chance to save himself, but Vilian or whatever had some moments (PS?).  We REALLY need DJ Johnson to step up.  Folks, remember that we have Barno and DJ who are developing players--Charles Johnson, Greg Hardy, Rucker, etc. all blossomed during their third seasons. 

I was worried about CB before the Jackson injury.  Horn needs to stay healthy, fo sho.  Michael Jackson (he he) fell into a good situation and will get reps.  If he plays well we will be solid when D Jackson returns.  Still--we need someone off waivers.

At S, I wanted to cut Jammie before camp started.  As a special team player, he is good.  I now want to keep him because he played with fire.  I would like to see him getting reps at Nickel so we could play Smith-Wade outside if needed.

I was not happy with Shy Tuttle's preseason. However, cutting him is no benefit to the cap.  Smith is the darling of camp, but he was rushing the passer more than maintaining gap responsibility, and he was able to get a sack or two vs. the twos.  He might be a liability vs starters and I would not be surprised to see him cut.  Been in the NFL for a few years, but never had a sack.  I was happier with Palimore and Peevy, to be honest, but with limited observation, I am just going to trust the coaches. 

This is why I said much earlier in the offseason I felt like the defense will take a step back from last season. I don't blame Evero for it. They really gave him a tough unit to work with. Thin just about everywhere.

But, we will have a lot of opportunities to evaluate the younger guys due to attrition, I am sure. Hopefully we get some hits out of that group. 

• Pie 1

4 minutes ago, csx said:

But it's not so why say that?

Why did I say that? Humor.

Why did he say that? You will have to explain that to me, as well. I mean, I guess in theory there are a large group of WR's after our top two that are fairly similar in quality level. I am not sure I would call that "deep." 

He is definitely seeing something different than I am.

12 minutes ago, kungfoodude said:

We have multiple units in a stiff competition for "weakest." WR is definitely up there.

CB is thin but if we were healthy the top end is better than our WR group.

I see how each of you could think that way--when Lane gets back, we have Horn, Smith-Wade, Jackson, Jackson, Hill, and Jamison.  Is that group better than WRs Johnson, Legette, Thielen, Mingo, Smith-Marsette/Moore/Coker/Marshall Jr? 

Since Clowney's career has been so inconsistent, I worry about OLB as well.  We have not seen Wonnum or Clowney, and they are not scary to most NFL OLs.  Then we have a bunch of developmental players we hope come of age.

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

46 minutes ago, kungfoodude said:

But, we will have a lot of opportunities to evaluate the younger guys due to attrition, I am sure. Hopefully we get some hits out of that group. 

this is what Rivera did not do..I think Barno, DJ johnson, and Leota are going to be decent rotational players, but if Evero can spark something in Chaisson---that would be all we need.

At CB, without pressure, you get exposed

7 minutes ago, HPPantherzfan said:

What does it say?  I don't have X or any other social media for that matter.

McTelvin Agim was waived by Houston.  nothing to see here, except he has ties to Evero as a PS player

• Beer 1

32 minutes ago, MHS831 said:

McTelvin Agim was waived by Houston.  nothing to see here, except he has ties to Evero as a PS player

Mike Purcell was also cut from another team, can't remember who. He played under Evero in Denver as well.

• Pie 1

21 minutes ago, Icege said:

Mike Purcell was also cut from another team, can't remember who. He played under Evero in Denver as well.

Pats--he is 33 years old--

About Agim being a PS member for Evero--he may know you, but that means he also knows your limitations.   The PS does not exactly scream "I am his favorite!"

2 minutes ago, mrcompletely11 said:

His skill set is impressive and I would have liked to see him develop here but that ship has sailed.

Agreed, just wondering if there was any sentimental folks out there that would like another go around.