• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Roster cuts

16 minutes ago, 45catfan said:

TMJ tried to get traded last year and Fitts allowed him to "explore" options.  There was ZERO interest.  I guess they can try again.  I don't think Fitts was actually trying to facilitate a trade, so maybe Morgan can make it happen this year. 

I'll take a half eaten pickle. The sandwich is off the table.  Word is it the sandwich got dropped on the floor from the table and the dog ran off with it and the pickle was too temping not to take a couple bites.

Half eaten pickle it is then for TMJ.

I would take one less WR spot if it means we can have both Matthews at TE (who is a better receiver than half our Wr's) and Raym as a legit backup C

• Pie 4

19 minutes ago, Jackie Lee said:

I would take one less WR spot if it means we can have both Matthews at TE (who is a better receiver than half our Wr's) and Raym as a legit backup C

Matthews looks leagues better than the bottom of our WR depth.  I think that's an easy decision.  Especially if we are in 2 TE sets often.

• Beer 3

16 hours ago, Jackie Lee said:

With all cuts 90 to 53 done in the same couple days it’s not as cut and dry as the old preseason rules. I preferred two phases of cuts

I think it may have made it difficult on the first wave of waived players--without knowing who might get waived during the final waiver,  teams may have missed out.  Just a theory, but with all the players on the table at once (each with the 24 hour rule) maybe it was better for teams.  Just speculating.

Why can this team not draft a WR? Rae Carruth-TMJ--the history is terrible.  Heck, the best WR in team history was a third rounder drafted to return punts.  Here is what we have done:

Did not Pan Out

• Rae Carruth
  • Donald Hayes
  • Walter Young
  • Drew Carter
  • Keary Colbert
  • Ryne Robinson
  • Dwayne Jarrett
  • David Gettis
  • Armanti Edwards
  • Kealoha Pilares
  • Joe Adams
  • Kelvin Benjamin
  • Shi Smith
  • Terry Godwin
  • Terrace Marshall

Works in Progress

• Jonathan Mingo
  • Xavier Legette

Average Success

• Brandon Lafell (had three 600 yard seasons with Carolina over 4 years here)
  • Curtis Samuel (had 2000 yards in receiving over 4 years here)

Standouts

• DJ Moore
  • Steve Smith
  • Mushin Muhammad

Edited by MHS831
  • Pie 8

I don't think the success rate for drafted receivers is very high to begin with.  I read an article the other day that said that less than 50% of receivers drafted in the first round ever have even a single 1000 yard season in the NFL.  

If memory serves, we have drafted three receivers in the first round in our history, excluding Leggette.  

1 is a star that we foolishly traded.

1 got off to a good start, but flamed out mentally.

1 is a person whose name should not be mentioned.  

• Pie 2

1 hour ago, MHS831 said:

Average Success

Devin Funchess

8 minutes ago, Davidson Deac II said:

I don't think the success rate for drafted receivers is very high to begin with.  I read an article the other day that said that less than 50% of receivers drafted in the first round ever have even a single 1000 yard season in the NFL.  

If memory serves, we have drafted three receivers in the first round in our history, excluding Leggette.  

1 is a star that we foolishly traded.

1 got off to a good start, but flamed out mentally.

1 is a person whose name should not be mentioned.  

I think WR and OL need to be on the board every year....yeah, the first rounders are at 33% but as you say, for reasons perhaps unrelated to their football talent.

• Pie 1

1 hour ago, MHS831 said:

Why can this team not draft a WR? Rae Carruth-TMJ--the history is terrible.  Heck, the best WR in team history was a third rounder drafted to return punts.  Here is what we have done:

Did not Pan Out

• Rae Carruth
  • Donald Hayes
  • Walter Young
  • Drew Carter
  • Keary Colbert
  • Ryne Robinson
  • Dwayne Jarrett
  • David Gettis
  • Armanti Edwards
  • Kealoha Pilares
  • Joe Adams
  • Kelvin Benjamin
  • Shi Smith
  • Terry Godwin
  • Terrace Marshall

Works in Progress

• Jonathan Mingo
  • Xavier Legette

Average Success

Standouts

• DJ Moore
  • Steve Smith
  • Mushin Muhammad

Standouts

• DJ Moore
  • Steve Smith
  • Mushin Muhammad

So you're telling me we hit on a WR once a decade?  One the bright side, we only have a five year window for our next standout WR to emerge!

• Pie 1

3 hours ago, 45catfan said:

TMJ tried to get traded last year and Fitts allowed him to "explore" options.  There was ZERO interest.  I guess they can try again.  I don't think Fitts was actually trying to facilitate a trade, so maybe Morgan can make it happen this year. 

I can only barely see it happening... to the Bills (Joe Brady again).