• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Step back from the ledge people, Bryce and the starters are playing the final preseason game

2 hours ago, Jackie Lee said:

just for the record, the defend everything guys.....were calling this fairly obvious fact a conspiracy theory.  Canales was hiding his starting O because it wasn't good enough to put on the field yet.   

Seems like the noise, plus the Bills confirming ahead of him they wouldn't be playing there starters...that he is going to trot them out finally.  I still don't expect to really see them take real reps.  Risk is too high for Canales.  If those backups handle our starting O, that's a nightmare for Canales going in. 

• Pie 3
  • Beer 3
  • Flames 2

5 hours ago, Waldo said:

Should have just played him some in the 1st game and gone from there. If he can't build confidence against backups in the 3rd preseason game then they should just go sign someone not half retired or below PS quality because that would be embarrassing AF to go into the year with a QB that can't look decent against the bottom of the Bills roster.

If he needs to gain confidence from.play8ng in a pre season game, than we're fuged no matter what. 

• Pie 2
  • Beer 1

4 minutes ago, CRA said:

just for the record, the defend everything guys.....were calling this fairly obvious fact a conspiracy theory.  Canales was hiding his starting O because it wasn't good enough to put on the field yet. 

Seems like the noise, plus the Bills confirming ahead of him they wouldn't be playing there starters...that he is going to trot them out finally.  I still don't expect to really see them take real reps.  Risk is too high for Canales.  If those backups handle our starting O, that's a nightmare for Canales going in. 

I'm also confused as to if the preseason games are "vanilla" then what exactly had him worrying about them stumbling around? O-line not gelling yet i'm guessing?

• Beer 1

12 minutes ago, CRA said:

You'll still have folks who think this was the plan all along. You just have to chuckle at the shoe shining and move along.

Hopefully everything goes well Saturday.

• Pie 1

4 minutes ago, Jackie Lee said:

I'm also confused as to if the preseason games are "vanilla" then what exactly had him worrying about them stumbling around? O-line not gelling yet i'm guessing?

I mean, he has a brand new O he has to install.  He has an OL that hasn't played together.   He has a C that has never played C.  He has a QB that doesn't really fit his natural core philosophy of how to play O. 

So yeah, I mean, it makes sense.  I don't think that's a sign of him being bad.  I just think Bryce needs volume.  Go let him take his lumps in reps that don't matter.  He didn't do that enough last year.  I think it's a strategy that leans on saving him from having to deal with the talk. 

• Beer 4

19 minutes ago, CRA said:

Hilarious overall. However, if the starters look bad that's not a definitive sign IMO - not ideal for sure, but every team has kinks to work out and we can hope that Canales actually analyzes the failures and adjusts. Might've perhaps been nice to see where the kinks are when there were still weeks of camp left but hey, what do I know?

Edited by KSpan
  • Beer 2

2 hours ago, Move the Panthers to Raleigh said:

They must have looked terrible the first couple weeks then 

This is like square one with both the new people and the old people doing new things. It is going to take a while. 

edit: I see everyone beat me to it. So I agree. 

Edited by strato
  • Pie 1

5 minutes ago, CRA said:

I mean, he has a brand new O he has to install.  He has an OL that hasn't played together.   He has a C that has never played C.  He has a QB that doesn't really fit his natural core philosophy of how to play O. 

So yeah, I mean, it makes sense.  I don't think that's a sign of him being bad.  I just think Bryce needs volume.  Go let him take his lumps in reps that don't matter.  He didn't do that enough last year.  I think it's a strategy that leans on saving him from having to deal with the talk. 

Yeah better to test the whole operation in a real game setting so you can spend the next two weeks ironing out whatever kinks pop up Saturday. That goes for Head Coaching, play calling, play execution, clock management, headset communication, etc. It's a test run for the whole operation, not just the offensive players remembering the play calls

• Beer 1

39 minutes ago, CRA said:

If the starters are injured then yeah the offense wouldn’t be ready. One definitely leads to the other but sure keep spinning in your way. You also stated there is no way they are playing this weekend right?  Figuring out the OL would be getting them healthy.  It is literally what he said he was asked the first couple weeks.  

“I’m open to playing our guys this week. The same thing I told you after the game is true though. We have to look at what does that group look like if we put everybody out there? Are there enough of those guys to say this is valuable for us to get these reps? Once we start to get into the depth of different positions that kind of forces our hand sometimes on can we play guys? Today was a hard practice. Tomorrow is going to be another hard one. For me, I have to make sure we get through these two days, collect that information, and then I make the decision.”

Edited by ForJimmy

59 minutes ago, pantherclaw said:

If he needs to gain confidence from.play8ng in a pre season game, than we're fuged no matter what. 

True but I meant specifically in the new systems. That is where they are supposed to get comfortable enough with in the preseason that they don't look like a deer in headlights game 1. 

2 hours ago, CRA said:

Hate to be the bearer of bad news, but this is exactly what is about to happen. They’ll get one series, but it’ll be a 3 and out with no real ball movement. 

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

7 minutes ago, AggieLean said:

Hate to be the bearer of bad news, but this is exactly what is about to happen. They’ll get one series, but it’ll be a 3 and out with no real ball movement. 

I think he should have played them a quarter vs NE.  It was the best setup.  It would have allowed real time to fix whatever and tweak whatever isn’t working or needs work.   

Patriots played their guys early.  So you get legit reps.   And if they sucked, blame the meh weather. 

• Pie 4
  • Beer 2

17 minutes ago, CRA said:

I think he should have played them a quarter vs NE.  It was the best setup.  It would have allowed real time to fix whatever and tweak whatever isn’t working or needs work.   

Patriots played their guys early.  So you get legit reps.   And if they sucked, blame the meh weather. 

Right, Drake Maye got one blah series in that first game after one blah drive from Brissett. Week 2 he came out dealing for I believe a full quarter. Also he's having to earn the job behind Brissett instead of just getting it handed to him like we did last year. 

• Beer 2

45 minutes ago, Jackie Lee said:

Right, Drake Maye got one blah series in that first game after one blah drive from Brissett. Week 2 he came out dealing for I believe a full quarter. Also he's having to earn the job behind Brissett instead of just getting it handed to him like we did last year. 

I dont think Maye is getting thrown to the wolves week 1.  Brissett is there to insulate him from that garbage offense.

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1