• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Step back from the ledge people, Bryce and the starters are playing the final preseason game

Folks put way too much stock into “live reps” in the preseason. The preseason does not tell you anything. You can tell this because pretty much half the league isn’t playing their starters much if at all. Once the league moves to an 18 game season, they’ll cut another week off the preseason too. I’d wager that they’ll move largely to more of those joint practices with other teams and have no more than 1 preseason game within the next 5 or so years. 

Edited by UNCrules2187
  • Pie 2

41 minutes ago, ForJimmy said:

I bet we still aren’t happy. Also a lot of preseason is against backups. The Pats played against our 3rd stringers and we were deeming Milton the next Cam. 

Milton is a 6 round pick with no high expectations attached. Not number 1 overall expecting to change a franchise around.  Leaving out the context doesn't mean your making a point.  

• Pie 1

2 minutes ago, therealmjl said:

I actually don’t mind our approach to this preseason at all. 

It makes more sense to get the “live reps” closer to week 1 than to play in preseason game 1 and then sit the rest of the way out.

True. It's been apparent listening to Morgan and Canales that there is a plan and thought process both of them are following. Canales and his offensive staff have been clear about how they want to install the offense.

It sounds like it starts with fewer formations and getting a feel of what they do well, then continually building on that. They master those formations and start adding wrinkles ( same play different formation, same formation different play, new #1 read etc.... ). This is where they sound like they are now. If you are working on rolling out a system that way, it makes sense to look at the preseason games 1 and 2 and think that if you can't get the offense you want out there practicing the stuff they have already mastered smoothly you are not accomplishing much according to your plan to install the offense and then you are opening up some starters ( mainly Bryce ) to injury because you have guys running the offense who might not have the level of readiness your starter would.

Then you add in having the #1 waiver wire and Dan talks about maximizing using that because of the caliber of player you maybe able to get. The best way to do that is to really evaluate what you have in your 2nd and 3rd string so you can try and bring in someone who will have maximum impact. 

I think if a few things worked out differently, mostly O line injuries/unavailability and Daltons injury, we would have seen the 1st team in a few series last game. 

• Pie 4
  • Beer 1

8 minutes ago, UNCrules2187 said:

Folks put way too much stock into “live reps” in the preseason. The preseason does not tell you anything. You can tell this because pretty much half the league isn’t playing their starters much if at all. Once the league moves to an 18 game season, they’ll cut another week off the preseason too. I’d wager that they’ll move largely to more of those joint practices with other teams and have no more than 1 preseason game within the next 5 or so years. 

It's like using a brand new piece of equipment. Sure you may know everything about it and how it works, but once you put it on a real jobsite, you don't know where the unforseen quirks lie. I'd rather find ours when it doesn't matter than when it does.

• Pie 2
  • Beer 2

8 minutes ago, CPF4LIFE said:

Milton is a 6 round pick with no high expectations attached. Not number 1 overall expecting to change a franchise around.  Leaving out the context doesn't mean your making a point.  

The fact that a 6th round QB playing against our 3rd stringers was compared to Cam after a preseason play proves the point. Overreactions are in full effect right now. You may not like the point but it is still there. 

• Pie 3

55 minutes ago, ForJimmy said:

I bet we still aren’t happy. Also a lot of preseason is against backups. The Pats played against our 3rd stringers and we were deeming Milton the next Cam. 

Oh come on man.  This is so exaggerated.  He made some good plays that were Cam-esque at the end of a preseason game and everyone said as such.  I was there because I was the one posting the highlights.  Nobody thought he was the next Cam based off that.  Just that it was worth a 6th round pick.  Straw man city over here.

• Beer 5

6 minutes ago, PNW_PantherMan said:

Oh come on man.  This is so exaggerated.  He made some good plays that were Cam-esque at the end of a preseason game and everyone said as such.  I was there because I was the one posting the highlights.  Nobody thought he was the next Cam based off that.  Just that it was worth a 6th round pick.  Straw man city over here.

How beat down are we over the QB position in this football town that suggesting a 6th round pick looked a little bit promising in brief action is akin to saying he's the next Cam? Hahaha. We need some glimpses of good football Saturday so badly.

• Beer 1

12 minutes ago, PNW_PantherMan said:

Milton looking legit like Cam lol. We coulda drafted him for nothing

Milton looking like Cam out there

Trade for Joe milton please

A star is born PFF just said Joe Milton is already better than Bryce Young

They wouldn't swap Bryce for Milton currently

Imagine if we drafted Milton and he played like that for us last night, the boards would have already sent Bryce packing

Just some quotes when you search for Milton on here.  I don't think you ever overreacted buy there are definitely some dramatic people on here who do and will. 

• Pie 1

5 minutes ago, CamWhoaaCam said:

NFL should just have 1 preseason game. It's really pointless to have these games. Not only do you risk injury to your starters you also risk your backups getting injured.

1 preseason game for each team is more than enough. 

They won't get rid of them until they can replace them with other games that they can sell tickets/TV contracts to.

It's all about money.

• Pie 1

5 minutes ago, CamWhoaaCam said:

NFL should just have 1 preseason game. It's really pointless to have these games. Not only do you risk injury to your starters you also risk your backups getting injured.

1 preseason game for each team is more than enough. 

Especially with joint practices

• Pie 1