• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Mina Kimes asks Saints' DE Cam Jordan about Bryce Young's rookie season

Icege

I’m giving the entire team a do over based on the coaching train wreck last year. We’ll know in the first couple of games where this team stands and whether or not the rebuild is going in the right direction. 

• Pie 5
  • Beer 2

Saying all the right things with the season opener a few weeks away. Although the remark about being used to having Alabama's offensive line cuts both ways. Many young quarterbacks could thrive under those conditions. Unfortunately the Green Bay method of patience and slow methodical development is rare in today's league and not a one size fits all. Mac Jones can attest to this.

19 minutes ago, frankw said:

Saying all the right things with the season opener a few weeks away. Although the remark about being used to having Alabama's offensive line cuts both ways. Many young quarterbacks could thrive under those conditions. Unfortunately the Green Bay method of patience and slow methodical development is rare in today's league and not a one size fits all. Mac Jones can attest to this.

You have to have someone the rookie can develop under.

Bryce wasn’t going to learn anything behind Baker/Sam.

Learning under Rogers…yeah

Learning under Farve…yeah.

• Beer 1

3 minutes ago, Tbe said:

Well we could have had Fields behind Cam. With CMC. With DJ. 

• Pie 2
  • Beer 1

5 minutes ago, Tbe said:

Favre and Rodgers weren't helping the guys under them.  Neither was a Tom Brady type.  In fact, those dudes are actually trying to derail those behind them. 

I think it's largely just time.  Game speed.  Reps.  Reps. and more reps with NFL caliber players at both sides of the ball. 

I think that's why you used to see a Kurt Waner or Jake Delhomme do so well.  Tons of reps with NFL caliber players before they got their NFL shot. 

• Pie 5
  • Beer 1

7 minutes ago, Tbe said:

I don't think Favre did much if anything to help develop Rodgers.

The Packers coaching staff is largely response for Jordan Love's development. That is what is most beneficial to any young QB.

When Love was a rookie Rodgers was still playing at a high level. That pushed Love to expand his own game and work on himself. We don't have that here. Andy Dalton serves no purpose. We actually probably have the worst QB depth in the league by design apparently.

28 minutes ago, CRA said:

Favre and Rodgers weren't helping the guys under them.  Neither was a Tom Brady type.  In fact, those dudes are actually trying to derail those behind them. 

I think it's largely just time.  Game speed.  Reps.  Reps. and more reps with NFL caliber players at both sides of the ball. 

I think that's why you used to see a Kurt Waner or Jake Delhomme do so well.  Tons of reps with NFL caliber players before they got their NFL shot. 

It’s not about a guy actively helping.

It’s about watching the MVP prepare, lead, practice, etc.

Its about seeing a high level of play every day knowing you need to meet that same level.

• Pie 1

50 minutes ago, AceBoogie said:

Well we could have had Fields behind Cam. With CMC. With DJ. 

Are you talking about broken Cam or alternate universe healthy Cam?

Because the latter means we never are in position to take Fields in the first place, nor would need to.

Secondly, IF Fields could be developed(I am not convinced of that) would we be able to develop him? I rather doubt it. No one here developed Cam effectively. Cam was Cam from day one and he learned on the job. The improvements(which he needed) didn't come until far later in his career and seemed to be self initiated rather than franchise initiated. 

• Pie 2

30 minutes ago, Tbe said:

It’s not about a guy actively helping.

It’s about watching the MVP prepare, lead, practice, etc.

Its about seeing a high level of play every day knowing you need to meet that same level.

Well yeah and it is akin to what was just said about Cam and Fields... 

If you have an MVP you aren’t picking way up there. Someone has to fall.

I think that is the best route though. Take the replacement and do not put them out there. 

You might get a guy you don’t mind giving a second contract to out of it. 

27 minutes ago, strato said:

Well yeah and it is akin to what was just said about Cam and Fields... 

If you have an MVP you aren’t picking way up there. Someone has to fall.

I think that is the best route though. Take the replacement and do not put them out there. 

You might get a guy you don’t mind giving a second contract to out of it. 

Hindsight is 20/20 though. It's a tough thing to balance when you do have an MVP level QB to use a valuable first round pick on a replacement for that QB instead of maximizing the franchise's window to win. Plenty of Packers fans shat on their FO for "wasting" a pick on Love instead of taking a playmaker for Rodgers to maximize his MVP seasons and get another SB ring. And there's no guarantee the next guy you pick is going to be any good either. The Packers scouted well, but as recently as before the past season plenty of folks were skeptical Love was going to be any good. If you miss on a guy like that, then all you did was piss off your MVP QB, not maximize the chance to win a SB with that QB, and end up getting nothing out of the pick too. 

• Beer 1

3 hours ago, UNCrules2187 said:

Hindsight is 20/20 though. It's a tough thing to balance when you do have an MVP level QB to use a valuable first round pick on a replacement for that QB instead of maximizing the franchise's window to win. Plenty of Packers fans shat on their FO for "wasting" a pick on Love instead of taking a playmaker for Rodgers to maximize his MVP seasons and get another SB ring. And there's no guarantee the next guy you pick is going to be any good either. The Packers scouted well, but as recently as before the past season plenty of folks were skeptical Love was going to be any good. If you miss on a guy like that, then all you did was piss off your MVP QB, not maximize the chance to win a SB with that QB, and end up getting nothing out of the pick too. 

I know people want instant help, but they have had incredible QB stability there for longer than some people here have been alive. Kind of says something for the way they do it.

And after watching recently, I far prefer: a late round pick, no pressure right away to play him. If he doesn’t look good and you never play him, lile oops bad pick, it hurts but does not destroy and you have a chance to make it up. 

If these guys are good starters eventually you may be taking a late 1st QB averaging every 5 years with a hit and a miss. IOW, you are not doing it every year.

You need a good QB you can count on for a few years to make it work. So there’s that.