• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

How long will the Carolina Panthers rebuild take?

3 hours ago, kungfoodude said:

IF we didn't make a bunch of bad roster decisions in this past offseason/draft it's conceivable it could take as little as 3-4 years to rebuild a top 12 caliber NFL roster.

I think a lot of us are not appreciating how unholy bad this roster is, especially when you get past the starters. Additionally, look at the roster and who would even still be here in 3-4 years. It's more holes than core members.

This is why any hope of building a lasting and GOOD roster are future hopes. It will take years of good drafting and solid FA moves to build something like that. 

You all watched the horrifying drafts, epic free agency blunders and terrible trades/wasted resources from trades over the past few years. This is the cost. We aren't magically going to conjure up a good roster from that kind of poo. 

But we have to know it's actually STARTED first and that remains to be seen. Otherwise we are still floundering around waiting for an actual rebuild to start.

I see us on a similar trajectory as the Detroit Lions. We’ll take our lumps this upcoming season, with steady improvement mid to late season. This season is about building for 2025 and beyond. 

Think expansion team. We did not have years of bad drafts to blame for starting from scratch.

If Canales is good it will go a long way. We haven’t seen how Morgan’s draft plays out. We’re sitting here not knowing anything from the last two drafts. 

1 hour ago, WhoKnows said:

I agree. It’s going to take a few years unless Young has a miraculous awakening. I’m not betting on that so we better start drafting well.

Also, I’m like you and I realize how bad the complete roster is. It still amazes me that Fitterer basically traded away 2 complete drafts of picks and he was only here for 3 years. That doesn’t even count the picks he missed getting for Burns. It’s remarkable to be that bad. The chance of doing that bad on every call and not making any good draft picks is probably close to the odds of winning the lottery. Even a coin flip/let the mock draft pick your picks for you would have done much better.

The one thing I will give credit to Fitterer for is that the Hurney vs. Gettleman arguments are forever retired. Our worst GM in team history is cemented at this point. No argument to be made against him.

• Pie 2
  • Beer 2
  • Flames 1

15 minutes ago, Prowler2k18 said:

I see us on a similar trajectory as the Detroit Lions. We’ll take our lumps this upcoming season, with steady improvement mid to late season. This season is about building for 2025 and beyond. 

You might want to take a gander at the Lions when Campbell got there. Any of us would kill to have that roster.

I would say we are closer to the 2014/2015 Browns. That's more likely the trajectory that we are on in terms of rebuilding. The timeline is about right, IMO.

• Beer 1

49 minutes ago, strato said:

Think expansion team. We did not have years of bad drafts to blame for starting from scratch.

If Canales is good it will go a long way. We haven’t seen how Morgan’s draft plays out. We’re sitting here not knowing anything from the last two drafts. 

Morgan brought in Plummer so you know he has an eye for talent at the QB position at least.

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1
  • Flames 1

Just saw the thread. So I'll ask ... rebuild into what? 2015? That was a one year wonder. Our Playoffs years? Uh ... we have never had back to back winning seasons. So ... rebuild into what exactly? A great team??? Well, seeing as how we've never really be one ... the "rebuild" is still happening but it's called a "build" lol.

12 minutes ago, Shotgun said:

Morgan brought in Plummer so you know he has an eye for talent at the QB position at least.

What is that but a conscious decision to have zero QB controversy? I can’t take that seriously

4 minutes ago, strato said:

What is that but a conscious decision to have zero QB controversy? I can’t take that seriously

Going into a season without a starting level QB on the roster is enough controversy I guess.  

• Beer 1

Fitt did a tremendous amount of damage and we knew it at the time. Passing on incredible deals, and trading a lot for proven losers. You can't do that and not kill this franchise for a long time. The past mistakes have cooked this franchise. No one wants to come here, and they're right for staying clear.

Dan Morgan is our new best hope for the future. He has to identify, along with his scouts, a new QB and players who will give us a functioning offense by modern standards. We have to be able to pass at a high level consistently. Period. Anything else is a secondary priority that be easily addressed.

Dan is going to be judged by his QB hunting. Fitt brought us proven losers to play QB, and traded the farm for a 5'10 little guy. Not good enough, and he was rightly fired. Dan knows he will have to find a QB. We all know that at this point. Yes Young could suddenly turn into an amazing franchise QB, but that is highly unlikely. Young being a little bit better doesn't mean anything. You have to move on after this season if he doesn't a make a big leap forward. 2025 Dan will select a QB imo, and that will be the start of his rise or downfall.

Our rebuild begins whenever we have a great QB on the roster. Once you have that, then you build around him. Building around Young doesn't mean anything imo. Young's deep ball is miles off target, his roll outs make me want to stop watching Panthers football, and he just doesn't do much overall. He's just out there killing time. Killing my Sunday. The rebuild hasn't even started imo.  

• Beer 3

1 hour ago, jayboogieman said:

Are the Lions' scrubs better than the Panthers' scrubs? Tune into the wavier wire to find out!

Most of their scrubs from then would be in our current two deep, if not a healthy chunk starting. 

Do yourself a favor and look at the 2021 Lions. Literally almost every single starter on offense there would be the starter here immediately. At least a few of the defenders would be too. 

That's what I am saying. We aren't there yet. We have some more successful offseasons ahead of us to be where they were in 2021. 

Believe me, I fuging wish that was the shape we were in.

• Pie 2

23 minutes ago, pantherj said:

Fitt did a tremendous amount of damage and we knew it at the time. Passing on incredible deals, and trading a lot for proven losers. You can't do that and not kill this franchise for a long time. The past mistakes have cooked this franchise. No one wants to come here, and they're right for staying clear.

Dan Morgan is our new best hope for the future. He has to identify, along with his scouts, a new QB and players who will give us a functioning offense by modern standards. We have to be able to pass at a high level consistently. Period. Anything else is a secondary priority that be easily addressed.

Dan is going to be judged by his QB hunting. Fitt brought us proven losers to play QB, and traded the farm for a 5'10 little guy. Not good enough, and he was rightly fired. Dan knows he will have to find a QB. We all know that at this point. Yes Young could suddenly turn into an amazing franchise QB, but that is highly unlikely. Young being a little bit better doesn't mean anything. You have to move on after this season if he doesn't a make a big leap forward. 2025 Dan will select a QB imo, and that will be the start of his rise or downfall.

Our rebuild begins whenever we have a great QB on the roster. Once you have that, then you build around him. Building around Young doesn't mean anything imo. Young's deep ball is miles off target, his roll outs make me want to stop watching Panthers football, and he just doesn't do much overall. He's just out there killing time. Killing my Sunday. The rebuild hasn't even started imo.  

It goes beyond the QB, as well. He has to prove that he can put together anything resembling a competent offseason. So far, we don't know if that has happened or not. 

I remember the early Fitt years and the "in on every deal" BS. I also saw how that ended up working out. 

Color me EXTREMELY skeptical of Dan Morgan the GM until he shows me something worth trusting.

• Pie 2