• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

How long will the Carolina Panthers rebuild take?

That's assuming a rebuild is reality.............and under this current ownership that may never be the case. 

There are more than a few examples of NFL teams grasping at a rebuild that never fully establishes itself under a given ownership structure and I'm inclined to believe the Panthers may very well be one of those example for now.

Perhaps if your passion with this team is to "get back on the winning track" (I hear Chris Farley's voice as Matt Foley right now) that in the mean time you might find another team, sport or other interest for now and check back when Tepper either sells or..........well is no longer around. 

Edited by PghPanther
  • Beer 1

2 minutes ago, Navy_football said:

Neither of those guys are reaches though. Proven and relatively young. And... no long history of injuries. Truly a black cat moment if they fail. 

Yeah. Plus, I can't recall any big FA signings that have truly worked out for the Panthers. Maybe an over the hill Reggie White back in the day could be considered a success?  The guards might not be stars, but those contracts put them in that big FA tier. So, par for the course if things don't work out.

• Pie 1

23 minutes ago, jayboogieman said:

I have a feeling the two $100 million guards are going to add to that list.

I mean, they are a noteworthy improvement in talent, don't get me wrong.

BUT when you put a bad C in between both of them, in what should be a predictable O with meh QB play? Well, they are going to feel the heat from the huddle at some point this year.  That seems like a safe bet. 

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1
  • Flames 1

18 minutes ago, jayboogieman said:

Yeah. Plus, I can't recall any big FA signings that have truly worked out for the Panthers. Maybe an over the hill Reggie White back in the day could be considered a success?  The guards might not be stars, but those contracts put them in that big FA tier. So, par for the course if things don't work out.

Last one that comes to mind.  We gave him 5 years but really only got 1 good one.  But damn it was a great year.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/columns/clayton_john/1522388.html

• Beer 2

1 minute ago, Donald LaFell said:

I still think we’ve been decent in FA, worse in the Tepper era but so has everything. 

The mid level signings and below have been decent.  I agree.  But most of the time we hand someone a bag that hasn't played for us, it does not go well.  That's probably true for most of the league though.

• Pie 3

2 hours ago, kungfoodude said:

IF we didn't make a bunch of bad roster decisions in this past offseason/draft it's conceivable it could take as little as 3-4 years to rebuild a top 12 caliber NFL roster.

I think a lot of us are not appreciating how unholy bad this roster is, especially when you get past the starters. Additionally, look at the roster and who would even still be here in 3-4 years. It's more holes than core members.

This is why any hope of building a lasting and GOOD roster are future hopes. It will take years of good drafting and solid FA moves to build something like that. 

You all watched the horrifying drafts, epic free agency blunders and terrible trades/wasted resources from trades over the past few years. This is the cost. We aren't magically going to conjure up a good roster from that kind of poo. 

But we have to know it's actually STARTED first and that remains to be seen. Otherwise we are still floundering around waiting for an actual rebuild to start.

I agree. It’s going to take a few years unless Young has a miraculous awakening. I’m not betting on that so we better start drafting well.

Also, I’m like you and I realize how bad the complete roster is. It still amazes me that Fitterer basically traded away 2 complete drafts of picks and he was only here for 3 years. That doesn’t even count the picks he missed getting for Burns. It’s remarkable to be that bad. The chance of doing that bad on every call and not making any good draft picks is probably close to the odds of winning the lottery. Even a coin flip/let the mock draft pick your picks for you would have done much better.

• Pie 4

1 hour ago, CRA said:

we could of never fired Ron Rivera and be in a better and more successful place today.  Because that's Wilks.  Heck, we could of just never fired John Fox.  Because it's all the same.   

We wished we could evolve past that type/level of football....and now we dream of returning to it. 

Well I think you’re being a little shortsighted but I get your point. I would liken keeping Wilks after the 2022 season to the 49ers keeping Mike Singletary in 2009. In 2008, the 49ers fired Mike Nolan after an 2-5 start, and Singletary was named interim head coach. He went 5-4 and the 49ers finished 7-9. The 49ers had talent but he wasn’t the right guy to win with that roster, but he developed the defense and kept them largely competitive until they took off under Harbaugh using many of the same players as Singletary had. 

I could have seen the Panthers following a similar trajectory to the post Singletary 49ers  if they retained Wilks in 2023. They could have remained competitive and rebuilt the roster for a couple years before potentially hiring a next level coach to truly compete.

But the Panthers made a series of absolutely mind boggling decisions after firing Matt Rhule that lead us to today. They traded away the team’s best offensive player for a 2nd round pick instead of trading away an overrated defensive end for 2 first round picks. They didn’t keep the interim head coach that won over the locker room and had success with a mediocre roster. Then they traded away the team’s best offensive player again to draft an undersized QB. If they had kept Wilks, traded Brian Burns instead, and didn’t trade CMC or DJ Moore, I could have seen a universe where the Panthers are a playoff team this year. But I think it’ll be a case of starting over yet again next year, and it does center around not keeping coaches who can at least remain competitive. 

• Beer 2