• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Practice for Wednesday, August 21st

Icege

43 minutes ago, strato said:

I asked multiple times in here for someone to name one physical tool that is above NFL average and may as well have asked someone to show me the secret to the universe. There was nothing coming back. 

2024 hopefully resolves this poo on way or the other. 

It's a loaded question/request.

Everyone hear knows that Bryce is a(n) historically small QB. As such he's kinda breaking new ground. That being said, he still doesn't have the weakest arm or run the slowest time, or displays the least amount of athleticism of pro-level QBs that has ever played in the NFL. Moreover, there is a legitimate argument that guys with NFL "average" physical tools do play and succeed because it's actually the mental tools which lifts your average NFL QB to franchise level. It certainly helps lift certain QBs into the NFL and leaves others with obviously superior physical tools on the couch. 

I am really not concerned with whether Bryce can chuck a ball 70 air yards down the field. That physical skill is vastly and highly overrated. What I am concerned about is whether he can win, and win consistently, with proper reads, timing, precision and accuracy.  

• Beer 2

I’m thankful that we aren’t having to cheer for Deshaun Watson. At least Bryce is a good kid. Nothing will make me happier sports wise to see Bryce prove all the haters wrong. He’s such a likeable guy. 

• Pie 1

24 minutes ago, Navy_football said:

I don't think people see the hypocrisy in those takes. That's like saying, I want him to lead the team to success and be the best QB in the NFL, but until he does I'm gonna let everybody that will listen know that he can't do it. Making definitive statements like - he's too short, too little, too slow, too weak, not smart enough to even play in the NFL. He doesn't have any tools, zero, nothing to be successful in the NFL. But if he ever figures it out, he's my guy! 

Make it make sense.

Reality is if he shows any improvement, they'll give the credit somewhere else. When it'll really just be he finally gets NFL average in areas like coaching, scheme, playcalling, pass protection, and receiver play. But he's supposed to overcome below average in all those areas as a rookie? And if you just acknowledge that lack of supporting cast prevents us from making a final decision on him yet, then you're a stan or a Bryce defender. No, I just have objective common sense, sir. 

Someone seeing that currently-available data/precedent indicates one thing but hopes it turns out differently is 'hypocritical' (which isn't even the right term but we'll roll with it anyway)? Not in the slightest. 

Also, this whole scenario has been set up with the straw-man of someone having the belief that Bryce can't be an NFL QB. He clearly can. The real position that is most common is a belief that he will not be able to play to the level necessary to win Super Bowls, a threshold that many QBs with tools better than Bryce's don't achieve.

As with everything time will tell. Regular season is where the rubber meets the road and it's only 2 weeks away.

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

8 hours ago, KSpan said:

'Hater' is a word that immediately discredits the user IMO. It has no meaning anymore. Just lazy.

Many a post of "Get on board or GTFO" when any concern was expressed. It was maddening.

Not even hedging, just being honest. Hedging implies a desire to be 'right' and it really has nothing to do with that. It would be an amazing event if Bryce were to develop into a top-tier QB but I (and many others) just don't think it will happen.

Most want it to happen because most fans do not want to see the franchise tumble even further. ie this going down as possibly the worst trade ever. For that reason alone it is in everyone's best interest for our starting QB to succeed.

But the people who handwring over any criticism for the time being and ask for fans to stop talking about it aren't consistent. Even in this thread you see poo emojis flying. And it isn't from any of the alleged "haters".

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

32 minutes ago, TD alt said:

It's a loaded question/request.

Everyone hear knows that Bryce is a(n) historically small QB. As such he's kinda breaking new ground. That being said, he still doesn't have the weakest arm or run the slowest time, or displays the least amount of athleticism of pro-level QBs that has ever played in the NFL. Moreover, there is a legitimate argument that guys with NFL "average" physical tools do play and succeed because it's actually the mental tools which lifts your average NFL QB to franchise level. It certainly helps lift certain QBs into the NFL and leaves others with obviously superior physical tools on the couch. 

I am really not concerned with whether Bryce can chuck a ball 70 air yards down the field. That physical skill is vastly and highly overrated. What I am concerned about is whether he can win, and win consistently, with proper reads, timing, precision and accuracy.  

I hear you on the winning. I understand that there are ways to scheme this and we probably both understand that if there is no field stretching going on, it will be very difficult to make anything work.

I also see ‘not the worst’, breaking new ground etc. Those aren’t positives to me. 

Still, it is an easy question to answer, isn’t it? =The conclusion may be loaded, or not. Seems simple.  Is this like those hearings where someone asks a direct question but cannot ever get a simple answer? It is a pretty direct question.

My answer is: I don’t see a single physical trait that is above average by NFL standards.  

Which IMO when speculating about NFL success, you want to have something above average to hang your hat on.

I guess it is still the processor, but he has to operate around historically advanced physical specimens. To not acknowledge the .. physics(?) of it seems to be at least a little intentionally unobservant. 

That’s all. 

56 minutes ago, jtm said:

I’m thankful that we aren’t having to cheer for Deshaun Watson. At least Bryce is a good kid. Nothing will make me happier sports wise to see Bryce prove all the haters wrong. He’s such a likeable guy. 

I agree on the likeability. I agree on Watson for plenty of reasons... that money was ridiculous too. BUT....

Let me ask you rhetorically, no answer needed:

who is your most disappointing player that you complain about or dog or whatever? Do you hate the guy personally? Or do you maybe hate, instead, that he falls short of your expectations? His play on the field.

Do we get to call you a hater for criticizing? If you wanted him replaced, it would be because you hate him personally?

Y’all know better than that.  

Edited by strato

1 hour ago, strato said:

TV is your problem there. Turn the fuger off, it is trash anyway. The texts and calls are horrible I agree.

Hard to avoid it when im even watching a youtube video streaming on my tv and the video stops with one of the goofs screaming to vote for them. I realize we are close to election time but the propaganda is everywhere and drives me absolutely crazy. 

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

44 minutes ago, Ricky Prickles said:

Hard to avoid it when im even watching a youtube video streaming on my tv and the video stops with one of the goofs screaming to vote for them. I realize we are close to election time but the propaganda is everywhere and drives me absolutely crazy. 

Yeah I am there. I look away for 5 seconds, go to the ad box and say block them, they don’t.

I haver an older Apple touchbar laptop and they have not closed the FF off to that, I can swipe that bitch to the end and hit ‘skip’.

Sick of looking at the begging for money. I made the mistake of contributing small amounts to some people before and it is nothing but emails/texts/calls talking about some urgent deadline and I must hurry and send the moolah. The hard sell.

I won’t won’t give any of them a single dollar again because of it. It’s a constant flood.

Edited by strato
  • Beer 1

1 hour ago, Ricky Prickles said:

YouTube premium or whatever is the best subscription I've ever gotten.  As soon as they blocked ad block I admitted defeat.  I'm not watching that trash.

• Beer 1

1 hour ago, Ricky Prickles said:

8 minutes ago, PNW_PantherMan said:

YouTube premium or whatever is the best subscription I've ever gotten.  As soon as they blocked ad block I admitted defeat.  I'm not watching that trash.

Switch to firefox and get ublock origin. Still works for me on youtube as well as all other sites. Doesn't work with chrome because, well, google who owns youtube, owns chrome; and opera and other similar browsers are all chromium based web browsers with chrome's bones in it so they don't work with ublock origin either.

I made the switch over a year ago when I heard they might be stopping adblock. I do not miss chrome at all. It's worth the switch and it's free.

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

1 minute ago, Ricky Spanish said:

Switch to firefox and get ublock origin. Still works for me on youtube as well as all other sites. Doesn't work with chrome because, well, google who owns youtube, owns chrome; and opera and other similar browsers are all chromium based web browsers with chrome's bones in it so they don't work with ublock origin either.

I made the switch over a year ago when I heard they might be stopping adblock. I do not miss chrome at all. It's worth the switch and it's free.

I've had inconsistent results with ublock origin.  Also I watch YouTube on devices that don't support ad blocker plugins.  Its worth it to me.  I watch an embarrassing amount of YouTube.

• Pie 1

1 minute ago, PNW_PantherMan said:

I've had inconsistent results with ublock origin.  Also I watch YouTube on devices that don't support ad blocker plugins.  Its worth it to me.  I watch an embarrassing amount of YouTube.

There are other, more elaborate ways to stop seeing ads that I've looked into (I fuging HATE ADS). You can install a raspberry pi that hooks up to your modem that straight blocks known ad source websites, but it can get a little technical and you consistently need to update the list of blocked sites. You can do something similar with your router blocking specific ad web servers and that helps but doesn't work 100% of the time.

Seriously, fug ads.

• Pie 1

1 hour ago, PNW_PantherMan said:

Seconding on uBlock origin. Might be able to download a pre-made blocklist that can help there. That's what I ended up doing to get around a lot of the paywalls that news sites use. Going through that gave me the outline for how to add my own blocks for local + regional sites.

• Pie 1

1 hour ago, Ricky Spanish said:

There are other, more elaborate ways to stop seeing ads that I've looked into (I fuging HATE ADS). You can install a raspberry pi that hooks up to your modem that straight blocks known ad source websites, but it can get a little technical and you consistently need to update the list of blocked sites. You can do something similar with your router blocking specific ad web servers and that helps but doesn't work 100% of the time.

Seriously, fug ads.

I respect your principles and determination.  I would have done that 10 or 20 years ago.  But now it's just not worth the effort to me.  I'd rather just pay lol.  It's like Spotify.  You made it easier and better than pirating music.  I'll pay for that.

• Pie 1