• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Practice for Wednesday, August 21st

Icege

9 minutes ago, Icege said:

Dave Canales leading off

• Half and half with scripted periods and second half was just football. Some good end-of-field drives where they got into some 3rd and 4th down go for its. Also had a 2min. The intent is to increase the volume of snaps play-to-play for the guys (especially for the OL who stays out there for the whole drive while other groups rotate). Coaches doing well working with communication and everyone working at full tilt today. Got a little punchy because of all of the success on the drives.
  • Was asked if he challenged the offense in any particular way as they seemed to have a good day. Canales says that he challenges both sides and doesn't question the focus of the group as they're very professional. Reiterates the need for guys to be internally motivated rather than externally motivated while also lifting each other up. Every challenge he's brought to the group has been responded to positively. Feel and cherish the moments together.
  • Asked about what Damien Lewis brings to the run game which was particularly successful today. That's what he does and why he's here. Has power and energy that uplifts the different units on the OL.
  • Thielen was on a vet day. Had a great day yesterday and had the day off pre-planned. Will be back out tomorrow. Same with Moton who was scheduled to have today to recover but he decided to get some work in and the staff decided to tailor him off during team periods.
  • Today and yesterday were the high energy practices that they had back-to-back and now they're going to collaborate with Dan Morgan, Andrew Altoff (performance director) and figure out how the groups look and how they feel. 
  • Asked about the luxury of having a true 6th man on the OL like BC. It's a blessing for them while on the flipside he'd love to just let Brady settle into a or a couple of spots in order to hone in on his timings. Would like to see him settle specifically at guard and tackle on one side of the line. His ability to play anywhere on either side though has been a blessing. All guys have a dominant side and the guys that can "swing" one side to the other typically work on a side that they're not the most comfortable with and Canales has seen situations where the starter can flip better than the 3rd string tackle.
  • Asked about TJ Smith and Michael Barrett needing to do anything in the final preseason game. Not hinging on one game, it's the full camp body and they've both done a great job. Barrett has done everything asked of him, his college career speaks for itself, and he's a really good football player (that's why he's here). TJ Smith has shown some versatility and been really useful for the team. He's shown in practice and games, adds a little element of pass rushing from the interior. Two guys that have made a statement for themselves.
  • Final roster cut decisions are hard. When you respect and regard the whole unit and bring everybody up at the same time with the teachings, practices, drill work, etc improving everyone it makes the decisions harder and harder. Glad to be doing it with Dan, Brandt, and the coaching staff. Have had touchpoints to evaluate where they've been in camp and will review the accumulation after the final game.
  • Trevin Wallace's sideline-to-sideline speed has translated to the league. Cited the play where he chased down Boutte and stopped it from being a TD. Emphasized how important that is because it gives them another chance to turn the ball over and prevent a score.
  • TMJ was great following the convo that they had after the Jets practice. Loved seeing the edge but he can have the edge without the disrespect. Celebrate with our guys, his teammates. Talked to the team beforehand about not disrespecting the Jets and celebrating each other, playing good Panthers football, and getting excited about that. He understood, was in his emotions right there, came back and scored again where he spun the ball and celebrated with his teammates. Has been fantastic and consistent since then. Every day there's a big play he's a part of. Look at everything when evaluating him: gotta catch up on his history which was what January was for (evaluating the roster as it stood with the guys that had put stuff on film for them). Coach Rob Moore created an individual plan for each WR for their next steps. The coaching staff is developmentally minded and hoping to help all of the guys take the next steps in their career.
  • Had done the installs the way he has done with previous teams for the last decade or so. Best way to evaluate players is if they're playing fast, so if they keep the installs tight they can showcase their ability. After the first wave of camp is when they get into what they started talking about yesterday: different ways to execute the same concepts from different personnel and formations. Does this by presenting differently week in and week out.
  • Position coaches handle the catching guys up because it's above and beyond the availability of what Canales can do. Assistant coaches and quality control coaches can help as well so that nobody gets left behind and is caught up to speed. Can't remember much about TB as it was a pretty quick year with bringing guys in to help, but they've been in this situation before (particularly in camp) where you need people. Guys have come in and done a great job absorbing information. While their plays don't change much in season there are new wrinkles and having guys that can reset their brain week to week are valuable.
  • Was asked about a player getting touches over Diontae, wasn't sure who it was and asked if they could see him at flanker. Canales said no to seeing them at flanker and that Diontae did a good job working back in with fresh legs.

I know a lot of people got wildly fixated on BC as a starter but I have always maintained and believe that his true value is a OT/OG high caliber backup. This is where he really helps the team out most.

• Pie 6

1 hour ago, kungfoodude said:

I know a lot of people got wildly fixated on BC as a starter but I have always maintained and believe that his true value is a OT/OG high caliber backup. This is where he really helps the team out most.

So of course he’ll probably be our starting center before the years over.

• Flames 1

1 hour ago, MHS831 said:

In fairness, I could not get the childproof cap off my meds.  I am good now.

Midol is a good universal, all purpose substitute when you’ve misplaced or run out of your prescription meds… or, so I’ve heard.

7 minutes ago, amcoolio said:

Bryce Young just magically flipping a switch and being good all of a sudden would be a welcome change to this franchise, hope it continues

This place is going to explode if it turns out he was always that good and Reich was just that bad. It's going to be a lot of "I always wanted Bryce to succeed; never said he was a bust; he just needed time" posts 

• Pie 2
  • Flames 1

11 minutes ago, jb2288 said:

This place is going to explode if it turns out he was always that good and Reich was just that bad. It's going to be a lot of "I always wanted Bryce to succeed; never said he was a bust; he just needed time" posts 

I believe 99% of the huddle, aka the overwhelming majority, wants Bryce to succeed. 

Edited by AggieLean
  • Pie 3
  • Beer 1
  • Flames 1