• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Notebook: Dave Canales "open" to playing starters Saturday

5 minutes ago, TLGPanthersFan said:

If the starters play on Saturday and struggle against backups. Woo boy. 

they won't play.  They were never going to play.  Canales signaled this long ago. 

4 minutes ago, The Lobo said:

On twitter they are saying starters are playing, about time. 

I'll believe it when I see it.  Specifically Bryce Young. 

I did see where someone noted he mentioned he wanted Dalton to rep

• Pie 2

Just now, CRA said:

I feel like they probably will play because nothing has made much sense so far.  Really obvious we have a rookie HC.  Get your popcorn folks.  At least the plumber won't be getting the starting nod.

• Beer 1

1 minute ago, CRA said:

Do you ever get exhausted being this conspiratorial and overtly negative over something so meaningless? What do you think will be accomplished if the starters play 10-15 snaps/1-2 drives on Saturday?

I already know your reaction if/when they do play based on how they fare. Play well and score “it was against a bunch of scrubs means nothing” play poorly/go 3 and out and sit “wow they can’t even do poo against a bunch of scrubs in 3 snaps!!!!”

The team is bad with a new coaching staff and it’s going to be a long season. Median outcome is somewhere in the 4-6 win range. Whether or not the starters took a handful of snaps in the preseason is going to be have absolutely zero bearing on how the season plays out. 

43 minutes ago, UNCrules2187 said:

Do you ever get exhausted being this conspiratorial and overtly negative over something so meaningless? What do you think will be accomplished if the starters play 10-15 snaps/1-2 drives on Saturday?

I already know your reaction if/when they do play based on how they fare. Play well and score “it was against a bunch of scrubs means nothing” play poorly/go 3 and out and sit “wow they can’t even do poo against a bunch of scrubs in 3 snaps!!!!”

The team is bad with a new coaching staff and it’s going to be a long season. Median outcome is somewhere in the 4-6 win range. Whether or not the starters took a handful of snaps in the preseason is going to be have absolutely zero bearing on how the season plays out. 

I think Bryce Young is a bad QB, now in his 2nd O, with a new OL….and needs tons of reps.  Like brand new rookie reps.   That’s what they should have done.  Bryce taking some token snap isn’t giving me what I want and yeah, that would be pointless.  I don’t care to see him to play some 3 and out drive and sit.  He just needs volume and to grow. 

The Panthers are a poorly run org and the worst in all of pros sports 

Conspiratorial? I basically have been taking the most boring and safe takes imaginable for years at this point.  And I have largely been right overall on things because of it.   When a bad org does things that don’t seem smart and smell funny…I don’t have the energy to invent how it will be different suddenly 

I don’t give a rip if we win 2 or 7 games.  My mindset is the same as last year.  We need a QB.  I only care about how Bryce looks, not outcomes as of night now.   

And the Canales defenders claimed he didn’t play the starters because of health….but today, he basically said he hasn’t played them because the O was still figuring stuff out?  Which was always my guess.  He didn’t want to put a group out there that looked bad and have to deal with that. 

1 hour ago, ForJimmy said:

The problem is we didn't have enough starters healthy early on.  Our LG is just getting healthy, Hunt was in and out of joint practice, XL was injured, and Johnson is injured.  It would be our QB behind an incomplete OL without his first round WR and he best WR.  Tremble was also banged up along with out backup tackle and backup QB (imagine if Dalton's injury lingered and Bryce gets hurt.  You want Plummer in the regular season?).  I think this is why he didn't play them early.  He kept saying we see how they are looking health wise before he made a decision.  So he could trot out half an offense or try to make some play through mild injuries that could turn more severe.  

Now if you are wanting reps vs starters that is tough to find.  The Pats played their starters for 1 series and the Jets didn't play them at all.  So that would have been one brief series of a offense missing key pieces going against a Pats defense in week 1. 

Again there are 100s of different factors that go into this, which is why there isn't one specific way to do it. 

Honestly, for this team, I’d just like to see them get as many reps as possible. In the end it likely doesn’t matter because we aren’t a contender but when every other rookie/2nd year QB (with a chance to start) has already gotten reps, it makes you wonder why Young is getting hidden again. He barely got any work last year with Reich, we remember the same discussion because Stroud was getting lengthy snaps.

It’s kind of scary that injuries are keeping our QB from getting real snaps. Just frustrating because our beat down by Atlanta last year clearly showed an ill prepared QB.

11 minutes ago, CRA said:

And the Canales defenders claimed he didn’t play the starters because of health….but today, he basically said he hasn’t played them because the O was still figuring stuff out?  Which was always my guess.  He didn’t want to put a group out there that looked bad and have to deal with that. 

If the starters are injured then yeah the offense wouldn’t be ready. One definitely leads to the other but sure keep spinning in your way. You also stated there is no way they are playing this weekend right?  Figuring out the OL would be getting them healthy.  It literally what he said he was asked the first couple weeks.  

“I’m open to playing our guys this week. The same thing I told you after the game is true though. We have to look at what does that group look like if we put everybody out there? Are there enough of those guys to say this is valuable for us to get these reps? Once we start to get into the depth of different positions that kind of forces our hand sometimes on can we play guys? Today was a hard practice. Tomorrow is going to be another hard one. For me, I have to make sure we get through these two days, collect that information, and then I make the decision.”

Edited by ForJimmy
  • Pie 2