• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Notebook: Dave Canales "open" to playing starters Saturday

26 minutes ago, Davidson Deac II said:

Questioning and backlash are two different things.  Coaches get a lot of questions about a lot of things.   I question why are we seeing so much of Plummer, but I don't consider that backlash.  

Dictionary
Definitions from Oxford Languages · Learn more

back·lash
noun
  1. 1.
    a strong and adverse reaction by a large number of people, especially to a social or political development.
  • Pie 1

18 hours ago, CamWhoaaCam said:

We sucked in the preseason with Frank.

I'm getting the same feeling with Canales. If someone shows you who they are believe them. Hope I'm wrong, but man nothing has changed from last season.

To be fair this roster sucks. Kind of hard to improve when you have nothing to work with. I warned you guys about us trading away all of our stars. Who's going to show up to these games when you have nobody to sell your product?

Guess we will have to find out when the season starts.

Hopefully nobody so ticket prices can drop like 50%

19 minutes ago, Icege said:

Canales was literally an OC last season. Reich was the OC for the Chargers and the Eagles.

Oh wait, do you mean the OCs that the HCs brought in with them?

I'm talking about our offensive coordinators.  Every era is kicked off by someone who has never done the job before.  Largely overseen (outside of Frank) by a green HC that really needs to spend their time figuring out there new HC job out. 

Just seems like maybe the worst O in the NFL, should not be so stuck in a repeating pattern.   I think the preseasons all sort of have had the same vibe too.  There certainly never appear to have a confident plan if you are an outsider.  Always seems to be some game of maybe we can show you.....which you don't really see elsewhere like you do here.  Andy Reid can just tell you upfront.  Yes or no.  It's not a Andy Reid is drawing out until kick off of a preseason game.    Canales IMO is legit giving off some Matt Rhule vibes IMO. 

• Pie 1

38 minutes ago, mrcompletely11 said:

If he sits the starters and then starts 3-1 he looks like a genius.   He starts 1-3 0-4 then he looks like a dolt.  No really in between 

If we start out 2-2, wouldn't that be in between.  lol

In all seriousness, I have no doubt that if we start poorly, then some will blame preseason. I wouldn't, but others would.  The starters have played in preseason every year, and we have been terrible.  I have my doubts that playing them or not playing this preseason will change things much.

I think we are likely to start out 1-3 or 0-4 regardless of whether or not the starters play in preseason.  We have been bad for years, and I don't think that is going to change in 4 games.  I just hope to see some improvement in the offense.   For example, it would be nice if the passing attack looks like an actual NFL passing game.  Or scoring three offensive td's in a single game.  

Edited by Davidson Deac II

36 minutes ago, mrcompletely11 said:

If he sits the starters and then starts 3-1 he looks like a genius.   He starts 1-3 0-4 then he looks like a dolt.  No really in between 

Beating our win total from last year in 4 games would be incredible. It’s not likely regardless of preseason. I know people want definite answers but we are going to be bad regardless so it will be hard to tell one way or another. 

9 minutes ago, Davidson Deac II said:

The starters have played in preseason every year, and we have been terrible. 

I'd argue Rhule and Frank.....both were questioned about what appeared to be poor use of preseason time and lack of a plan in their first real preseasons (which was actually year 2 for Rhule).  Rhule basically was a reality game show about if guys would rep.  Never announcing until the last minute.  Reporters were all over him.  Frank repped Bryce noticeably less than any other rookie.  Which is why the hiding O narratives keep popping up each era.  

I think it's clear Rhule and Frank limited the exposure because the product was questionable in house and what they were doing. 

14 minutes ago, Davidson Deac II said:

If we start out 2-2, wouldn't that be in between.  lol

In all seriousness, I have no doubt that if we start poorly, then some will blame preseason. I wouldn't, but others would.  The starters have played in preseason every year, and we have been terrible.  I have my doubts that playing them or not playing this preseason will change things much.

I think we are likely to start out 1-3 or 0-4 regardless of whether or not the starters play in preseason.  We have been bad for years, and I don't think that is going to change in 4 games.  I just hope to see some improvement in the offense.   For example, it would be nice if the passing attack looks like an actual NFL passing game.  Or scoring three offensive td's in a single game.  

I think the win total is less important than how the team plays. Last year, there was a lot of preseason talk and we saw exactly what we were worried about. The team looked unprepared and the QB we thought needed reps didn’t look like he was ready to be an NFL QB.

If we start out 0-4 but are competitive, scoring points and look like a prepared team, no one will mention preseason. If we are 0-4 and barely scoring, getting lots of penalties and making bad decisions, preseason should be brought up because we should’ve gotten more reps in to starters.

There is one caveat to this. If we look poorly prepared, it might not be the HC’s actual fault. Maybe our talent level is just that bad and until we get a better team and QB, we’ll look bad. Unfortunately, for an optimistic type coach, there’s no way to know.

18 hours ago, CamWhoaaCam said:

We sucked in the preseason with Frank.

I'm getting the same feeling with Canales. If someone shows you who they are believe them. Hope I'm wrong, but man nothing has changed from last season.

To be fair this roster sucks. Kind of hard to improve when you have nothing to work with. I warned you guys about us trading away all of our stars. Who's going to show up to these games when you have nobody to sell your product?

Guess we will have to find out when the season starts.

2023 Preseason: 0-3 (finished 2-15)

2022 Preseason: 2-1 (finished 7-10)

2021 Preseason: 1-2 (finished 5-12)

2020 Preseason: No Preseason (finished 5-11)

2019 Preseason: 2-2 (finished 5-11)

2018 Preseason: 3-1 (finished 7-9)

2017 Preseason: 2-2 (finished 11-5)

2016 Preseason: 2-2 (finished 6-10)

2015 Preseason: 3-1 (finished 15-1)

2014 Preseason: 2-2 (finished 7-8-1)

2013 Preseason: 3-1 (finished 12-4)

2012 Preseason: 2-2 (finished 7-9)

2011 Preseason: 1-3 (finished 6-10)

2010 Preseason: 1-3 (finished 2-14)

2009 Preseason: 0-4 (finished 8-8)

2008 Preseason: 2-2 (finished 12-4)

2007 Preseason: 1-3 (finished 7-9)

2006 Preseason: 4-0 (finished 8-8)

2005 Preseason: 2-2 (finished 11-5)

2004 Preseason: 4-0 (finished 7-9)

2003 Preseason: 4-0 (finished 11-5)

2002 Preseason: 1-3 (finished 7-9)

2001 Preseason: 2-2 (finished 1-15)

2000 Preseason: 0-4 (finished 7-9)

1999 Preseason: 2-2 (finished 8-8)

1998 Preseason: 2-2 (finished 4-12)

1997 Preseason: 0-4 (finished 7-9)

1996 Preseason: 2-2 (finished 12-4)

1995 Preseason: 3-2 (finished 7-9)

Winning Preseason and Winning Season: 37.5%

Losing Preseason and Losing Season: 88.9%

.500 Preseason and Winning Season: 36.4%

.500 Preseason and Losing Season: 54.5%

FWIW, this was the data I gathered.

• Pie 3

46 minutes ago, kungfoodude said:

2023 Preseason: 0-3 (finished 2-15)

2022 Preseason: 2-1 (finished 7-10)

2021 Preseason: 1-2 (finished 5-12)

2020 Preseason: No Preseason (finished 5-11)

2019 Preseason: 2-2 (finished 5-11)

2018 Preseason: 3-1 (finished 7-9)

2017 Preseason: 2-2 (finished 11-5)

2016 Preseason: 2-2 (finished 6-10)

2015 Preseason: 3-1 (finished 15-1)

2014 Preseason: 2-2 (finished 7-8-1)

2013 Preseason: 3-1 (finished 12-4)

2012 Preseason: 2-2 (finished 7-9)

2011 Preseason: 1-3 (finished 6-10)

2010 Preseason: 1-3 (finished 2-14)

2009 Preseason: 0-4 (finished 8-8)

2008 Preseason: 2-2 (finished 12-4)

2007 Preseason: 1-3 (finished 7-9)

2006 Preseason: 4-0 (finished 8-8)

2005 Preseason: 2-2 (finished 11-5)

2004 Preseason: 4-0 (finished 7-9)

2003 Preseason: 4-0 (finished 11-5)

2002 Preseason: 1-3 (finished 7-9)

2001 Preseason: 2-2 (finished 1-15)

2000 Preseason: 0-4 (finished 7-9)

1999 Preseason: 2-2 (finished 8-8)

1998 Preseason: 2-2 (finished 4-12)

1997 Preseason: 0-4 (finished 7-9)

1996 Preseason: 2-2 (finished 12-4)

1995 Preseason: 3-2 (finished 7-9)

What does this have to do with Frank and Canales?

You overthinking this my guy.

1 hour ago, WhoKnows said:

I think the win total is less important than how the team plays.

I agree 100%, and that I was I mentioned the performance.  

If the team comes out and loses a few close ones, but Bryce performs fairly well, I will feel better than I did last year.  

• Beer 1

1 hour ago, kungfoodude said:

Preseason doesn't mean anything unless you really suck lol.

• Beer 1