• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Notebook: Dave Canales "open" to playing starters Saturday

13 hours ago, TheSpecialJuan said:

The starters play one series go 3 and out and Austin Corbett re-injures his knee

The Huddle:  "I told Canales not to play the starters!! what was he

thinking!? I'm so mad right now I'm gonna go to my backyard take my gardening sheers and lop off my penis" 

The real huddle: It's called football where things can happen (even in practice)

Preseason or week what ever any injury will hurt. Also if you are going to charge full price for preseason they could play at least 1 series a game.

2 hours ago, Davidson Deac II said:

lol

Other than some comments on message boards, there hasn't been any backlash.  

lol

Been plenty of people that cover the team questioning why a 2-15 team don't need any preseason reps or why they are not taking every opportunity to get better as a team.

Every time a mic is in front of the HC they asking so I don't know how it's just MB people...

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1
  • Poo 1

3 minutes ago, NCBlu said:

lol

Been plenty of people that cover the team questioning why a 2-15 team don't need any preseason reps or why they are not taking every opportunity to get better as a team.

Every time a mic is in front of the HC they asking so I don't know how it's just MB people...

local radio is questioning it, local media is questioning it, fans question it. 

I mean, we are the worst team in all of professional sports so nationally you we aren't going to be blip on any radar. 

• Pie 3

maybe just maybe.....Carolina should try a first in the David Tepper era?   Maybe we should try hiring our very FIRST OC that isn't figuring it all out for the first time how to do the job. 

Maybe part of the reason our O struggles so much.....is EVERY OC Tepper has employed has never done the job before.   3 for 3.  On the job training.  2/3 lead by HCs who had ever done their job before either. 

I think that's part of why our preseasons under Tepper consistently are bologna pressers and this weird game of how to handle the preseason.  Started with Rhule.  They didn't know what to do.  Was evident they were winging it when cameras/media got in year 2. 

• Flames 2

4 minutes ago, CRA said:

maybe just maybe.....Carolina should try a first in the David Tepper era?   Maybe we should try hiring our very FIRST OC that isn't figuring it all out for the first time how to do the job. 

Maybe part of the reason our O struggles so much.....is EVERY OC Tepper has employed has never done the job before.   3 for 3.  On the job training.  2/3 lead by HCs who had were on doing on the job training and never done that before. 

I think that's part of why our preseasons under Tepper consistently are bologna pressers and this weird game of how to handle the preseason.  Started with Rhule.  They didn't not what to do.  Was evident they were winging it when cameras/media got in year 2. 

Clown show. Just flip the HC experience and try the same fail all over again.

25 minutes ago, NCBlu said:

lol

Questioning is not backlash.  

26 minutes ago, CRA said:

local radio is questioning it, local media is questioning it, fans question it. 

I mean, we are the worst team in all of professional sports so nationally you we aren't going to be blip on any radar. 

Questioning and backlash are two different things.  Coaches get a lot of questions about a lot of things.   I question why are we seeing so much of Plummer, but I don't consider that backlash.  

Edited by Davidson Deac II

18 hours ago, hepcat said:

After significant backlash from the fanbase about the worst team in the NFL inexplicably benching starters during the preseason, head coach caves to pressure to play starters for a little while in the final preseason game. 

Honestly, that’s what it feels like or maybe realization that the team isn’t really ready for week 1.

If you were worried about injuries, you wouldn’t start your starters this week. Back in 16 game/4 preseason, no starters played in that week 4 preseason game. Playing starters this week seems silly because even small injury could impact real games. If someone pulls a muscle in week 1 of preseason you can shut them down and make sure they are ready week 1 of the real games.

If we were going to play starters for only 1 games, week 1 or 2 makes more sense than week 3.

• Pie 5

34 minutes ago, CRA said:

Maybe part of the reason our O struggles so much.....is EVERY OC Tepper has employed has never done the job before.   3 for 3.  On the job training.  2/3 lead by HCs who had ever done their job before either. 

I think that's part of why our preseasons under Tepper consistently are bologna pressers and this weird game of how to handle the preseason.  Started with Rhule.  They didn't know what to do.  Was evident they were winging it when cameras/media got in year 2. 

Ben McAdoo?

6 minutes ago, PantherKyle said:

Ben McAdoo?

Well, I was really talking about the start of each new era. 

Rhule - never before OC

Frank - never before OC

Canales - never before OC

McAdoo was picked up out of the trash can after that model of no one knowing what to do showed to be an error.  Yet....we keep going right back to that formula each redo. 

I'm not going to assume it's the case, but I've been around marketing people enough to know that there's a non-zero chance the engagement with and general reaction to the posts by the panthers servitor gets bundled up and presented at some sort of weekly corporate meeting.

So going off that possibility alone, I'm just going to say to the junior marketing drones who are aggregating these data points:

Tell Dave to play the f***ing starters. Fan enthusiasm is historically low. Give us SOME reason to watch. SOME reason to vaguely get excited. SOME ripple of hype that we can ride into week one. Because right now, it's entirely possible that I might forget we have a game on the 8th.

4 minutes ago, CRA said:

Well, I was really talking about the start of each new era. 

Rhule - never before OC

Frank - never before OC

Canales - never before OC

McAdoo was picked up out of the trash can after that model of no one knowing what to do showed to be an error.  Yet....we keep going right back to that formula each redo. 

Canales was literally an OC last season. Reich was the OC for the Chargers and the Eagles.

Oh wait, do you mean the OCs that the HCs brought in with them?

Edited by Icege