• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Practice for Tuesday, August 20th

Icege

1 minute ago, CRA said:

His deep ball even in college was meh.  I mean, there as no one talking about drafting him because of his ability to attack downfield at this level.  It was the super mind point guard.

Bryce is too small not to be a pocket QB.  It’s the double edged sword of Bryce.  You can only move the pocket so much before that gets too predictable 

Just have to hope he can adapt. He has enough arm to throw it early, just not late. Completing deep passes at a high tick would be great, but you have to at least take the shots. 2 or 3 a game of 50 yards+ would change how DBs play the pass. Honestly, every time they start creeping up, I'd just take a shot over everyone's heads to back them up. 

I agree with not making the offense too predictable. I was thinking more of encouraging him to break out of the pocket when things get hairy vs calling too many roll outs. I'm thinking a heavy play action offense instead. But the running game has to have some success for it to work. 

46 minutes ago, frankw said:

Seems to be the consistent theme with the deep passing game. It's wild that people still downplay it.

We may have to have the same plan that the Saints did when Brees started going downhill. 
Sad thing is this is a player starting his career. 
We might as well get used to not seeing a lot of deep balls unless the player is WIDE open. 
I miss Cams beautiful deep ball. 

• Beer 2

29 minutes ago, Jackie Lee said:

What the fug is wrong with Newton. Out of all the layoffs at ESPN over the last decade how is he still hanging around?

What a bone head. I know it's a personal matter but please tell me exactly what it is. I would have told him personal matter means its none of your fuging business asshole.  Lewis was more gracious then I would have been

• Pie 3
  • Beer 1

14 hours ago, frankw said:

Seems to be the consistent theme with the deep passing game. It's wild that people still downplay it.

Yeah, it appears that he's working on getting the ball downfield more. Last season, he constantly overthrew those passes - not enough air under it. Now, it seems like he's putting too much. But he has been connecting on a few too - in practice. He'll find that sweet spot as long as he keeps pushing it. I think that's the key point. Don't stop throwing it. Even if you miss, you've planted a seed. 

14 hours ago, TLGPanthersFan said:

We may have to have the same plan that the Saints did when Brees started going downhill. 
Sad thing is this is a player starting his career. 
We might as well get used to not seeing a lot of deep balls unless the player is WIDE open. 
I miss Cams beautiful deep ball. 

it's one thing to ask a literal HOF QB with a decade of experience to play small ball with a shrunken field...

when you ask some random green QB.....you get the worst O in the NFL (see last year)

• Pie 2

15 hours ago, frankw said:

Just keep practicing it and trying it and see what happens.  Looks like he hit ISM and TMJ deep this same practice (just looking at the tweets shared in this thread).  So 2/3 this practice that we know of.  He will either get the timing down or not, but it looks like DC isn't going to shy away from it which is good. 

• Pie 1
  • Beer 2

While the jury is still out on Young, there are many factors that can help improve him.  Good routes (getting open) tends to help the qb--and timing (OL) makes a difference.  I was on the second team in college and there were times the starting QB would rep with us at practice--he was horrible--overthrows, pressure moving him off the spot---timing---it was like dancing with someone better than you, but it made him look bad.  If we had 3 offenses, 38 combinations of OL, Substandard WRs who weren't separating, I see how Young could have looked bad.  Lotta stuff has to happen to make a qb look good.  Just my view.

18 hours ago, SteveSmithTD89 said:

I don't. Emergency 3rd QB rule in place I doubt we carry one on the 53. 

If it gets past Bryce and Andy we're fuged anyway.

Not sure how that works--gotta be honest.  However, I am not sure Plummer is thqt guy

Here is a question: If the Patriots waive Zappe who is on a rookie contract for this season and next, do you pick him up and cut Dalton, whose contract expires at the end of this season?

I go with the younger, experienced QB.  To me, Zappe is one of those strong reserve QBs who will always make any roster better--like a Gardner Minshew.  Dalton is 37.  Save a million in cap room and move in a young QB with starting experience.

• Pie 1

15 hours ago, Jackie Lee said:

What the fug is wrong with Newton. Out of all the layoffs at ESPN over the last decade how is he still hanging around?

Because he’s not making millions like RG3.  Who knows.  Maybe they just give him free lunch and he’ll do the job.

56 minutes ago, MHS831 said:

Not sure how that works--gotta be honest.  However, I am not sure Plummer is thqt guy

I have been very vocal in my disdain for Plummer from the moment he signed as an UDFA so I get it lol. 

That said, this year teams are allowed to have a 3rd QB dressed and allowed to play on Sundays who does not need to be on the 53, or even the GameDay active list. 

League basically wants to avoid situations like when the 9ers played CMC at QB for the 4th quarter against the Eagles because Purdy and Johnson went down. 

With that I don't think we carry 3 QBs on the active roster but I do hope we bring in one on the PS who is not Plummer. 

• Pie 1