• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Different perspective for not starting the starters in preseason...

musicman

10 minutes ago, kungfoodude said:

Preseason is meaningless. Ask any of the umtpeen veterans who have publicly stated this hundreds of times over the past 20+ years.

It. Doesn't. Matter.

yeah, reps aren't meaningless for bad players.  Especially bad young ones.....in a new offense, playing with a lot of new teammates on the OL and at WR.  Neither are live reps in games that don't count yet.  

veterans got nothing to do with young, healthy, bad players, that are quarterbacking a brand new O, with a brand new OL, and WRs.  Reps matter.  Which is why you can't find any Bryce Young comparable.  Because they are all out there getting reps going into that type season.  

NFL coaches have proven those reps do matter.  If they didn't, you could name similar players to Bryce Young that have followed this path

the only thing IMO that would make it okay not to be working a bad young QB coming off last season, in a brand new O, is if he himself was actually dealing with an injury or was coming off one.  We know he isn't the latter.  But if he was currently banged up I could accept that. 

7 minutes ago, CRA said:

yeah, reps aren't meaningless for bad players.  Especially bad young ones.....in a new offense, playing with a lot of new teammates on the OL and at WR.  Neither are live reps in games that don't count yet.  

veterans got nothing to do with young, healthy, bad players, that are quarterbacking a brand new O, with a brand new OL, and WRs.  Reps matter.  Which is why you can't find any Bryce Young comparable.  Because they are all out there getting reps going into that type season.  

NFL coaches have proven those reps do matter.  If they didn't, you could name similar players to Bryce Young that have followed this path

the only thing IMO that would make it okay not to be working a bad young QB coming off last season, in a brand new O, is if he himself was actually dealing with an injury or was coming off one.  We know he isn't the latter.  But if he was currently banged up I could accept that. 

They are meaningless for everyone that isn’t just trying to make a roster.

We just aren't going to agree on this issue. 

I mostly have never nor will likely ever care much about preseason. Especially after the 17th game was added and probably when it goes to 18 and there are only two.

3 minutes ago, kungfoodude said:

I mostly have never nor will likely ever care much about preseason. Especially after the 17th game was added and probably when it goes to 18 and there are only two.

If it was meaningless, you could name 1 player in NFL history that is comparable and that the coaches didn't think need to take advantage of the reps and opportunity they create. 

- bad young QB

- healthy, not coming off injury

- in a brand new O.

6 minutes ago, kungfoodude said:

The games themselves are pretty meaningless, but for a franchise that has taken it in the shorts the way Carolina has the past 6 years, winning is a necessity, even if it is the preseason. We need to get the taste of losing out of our mouths. 

3 minutes ago, SmokinwithWilly said:

The games themselves are pretty meaningless, but for a franchise that has taken it in the shorts the way Carolina has the past 6 years, winning is a necessity, even if it is the preseason. We need to get the taste of losing out of our mouths. 

the technical outcome is meaningless.  You don't even need a scoreboard. 

they present the only opportunity a bad QB can get a legit reps before a season starts.  That's it.  All the other reps they see going into a season are controlled and protected.  Every one of them. 

5 minutes ago, CRA said:

If it was meaningless, you could name 1 player in NFL history that is comparable and that the coaches didn't think need to take advantage of the reps and opportunity they create. 

- bad young QB

- healthy, not coming off injury

- in a brand new O.

I don't care about the history of preseason. That's not anything even the most autistic stat nerd cares about.

Good luck with your crusade. 

• Flames 1

2 minutes ago, kungfoodude said:

I don't care about the history of preseason. That's not anything even the most autistic stat nerd cares about.

Good luck with your crusade. 

it's actually the history of developing young/bad quarterbacks.  

and yeah, the Panthers don't seem to care much about that. 

my crusade is just to point out how the Panthers continue to march to the beat of their own drum under Tepper.  And we are off beat and dancing drunk. 

6 minutes ago, SmokinwithWilly said:

I don't care about preseason wins or losses. I can't imagine why in the world anyone would.

The preseason is solely for player evaluation. This coaching staff has its evaluation on our starters for better or worse.

I will start caring about any of this on Sept. 8th.

2 minutes ago, kungfoodude said:

I don't care about preseason wins or losses. I can't imagine why in the world anyone would.

The preseason is solely for player evaluation.

see, you are having an argument that doesn't exist.   No one gives a poo about the scoreboard.  That is meaningless.   

the preseason isn't just player evaluation.  They are reps to help growth and development.   They are reps to see what basic functions in your O are and aren't working BEFORE the season starts.   You got players and coaches in real time explaining all that. 

7 minutes ago, CRA said:

see, you are having an argument that doesn't exist.   No one gives a poo about the scoreboard.  That is meaningless.   

the preseason isn't just player evaluation.  They are reps to help growth and development.   They are reps to see what basic functions in your O are and aren't working BEFORE the season starts.   You got players and coaches in real time explaining all that. 

Brother, take care on your journey.

Past 3 consecutive years (this is 4), Panthers have had glaring red flags going up in the preseason. 

Same folks largely argue it makes total sense each year and you shouldn't question it every year.  

I'm sticking with the dumb team is being dumb again. 

7 hours ago, CRA said:

Canales is boring and vanilla. 

Looking at last year vs this year, the only actual difference in the too many voices narrative....is the newb OC that won't be calling plays, is from the same coaching tree.  That's it. 

What are you basing this boring and vanilla thing from?  Preseason?  Which he clearly doesn't care about. 

• Beer 1

1 hour ago, CRA said:

Past 3 consecutive years (this is 4), Panthers have had glaring red flags going up in the preseason. 

Same folks largely argue it makes total sense each year and you shouldn't question it every year.  

I'm sticking with the dumb team is being dumb again. 

The problem with this is the Panthers aren’t the only team that does this. Joint practices plus the preseason games dropping to 3 keeps it a wide open format for every team. Some play starters, some don’t, some play them the first game, some the 3rd, some get 1 series, some get 1 quarter. It’s just random.

I do think Canales doesn’t want to play his starters with his current banged up OL if he can prevent it. That’s a good way to start off out of sync. Especially in a game that counts for nothing…

• Pie 1