• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Different perspective for not starting the starters in preseason...

musicman

2 hours ago, kungfoodude said:

I don't care about preseason wins or losses. I can't imagine why in the world anyone would.

The preseason is solely for player evaluation. This coaching staff has its evaluation on our starters for better or worse.

I will start caring about any of this on Sept. 8th.

Typically I'd agree with that sentiment but since we've been the worst team in professional sports for 5 years, this team needs a win, even if it is technically meaningless. Being ok with losing is a mentality we need to get out of the building

33 minutes ago, ForJimmy said:

The problem with this is the Panthers aren’t the only team that does this. Joint practices plus the preseason games dropping to 3 keeps it a wide open format for every team. Some play starters, some don’t, some play them the first game, some the 3rd, some get 1 series, some get 1 quarter. It’s just random.

I do think Canales doesn’t want to play his starters with his current banged up OL if he can prevent it. That’s a good way to start off out of sync. Especially in a game that counts for nothing…

The Jets aren’t an example of a team doing what we are doing.  Which IMO is your argument here. 

they have a HOF QB, coming off an injury….there is something to protect.

My challenge is still the same.  Take the last 20 years.  Name a really bad healthy young QB that a team sat all preseason?  That was projected to start.  It’s just not the norm in the NFL.  Everyone isn’t doing that. 

• Beer 1

4 minutes ago, SmokinwithWilly said:

Typically I'd agree with that sentiment but since we've been the worst team in professional sports for 5 years, this team needs a win, even if it is technically meaningless. Being ok with losing is a mentality we need to get out of the building

I am fine with anyone that is okay losing preseason games. 

I can't stress enough how basically only people fighting for roster spots and apparently Huddle posters actually care about this.

• Pie 1

28 minutes ago, ForJimmy said:

People can't even wait for actual games to overreact.  

How is overreaction even possible? Am I missing something? 

Are we not expected to the the worst team in the NFL by pundits and our fans alike? 

Our season is a success based on it having some level of cohesion and possibly our offseason moves not looking like a fuging disaster. That's my take. 

At least at that rate we have hope the Top 5 draft pick will be something that will help and some potential light at the end of this tunnel.

• Pie 1

25 minutes ago, CRA said:

The Jets aren’t an example of a team doing what we are doing.  Which IMO is your argument here. 

they have a HOF QB, coming off an injury….there is something to protect.

My challenge is still the same.  Take the last 20 years.  Name a really bad healthy young QB that a team sat all preseason?  That was projected to start.  It’s just not the norm in the NFL.  Everyone isn’t doing that. 

McVay is notorious for doing this. Even when he had Goff through his up and down years. Eagles also have not played starters yet this preseason. Those two teams are just off the top of my head. It hard to Google data on it because it’s such a random, useless statistic…. Go ahead and add the Jets since you just said they aren’t either. I don’t believe I’ve seen Kyler Murray take any snaps in Arizona or Cousins in ATL. 

Edited by ForJimmy

15 minutes ago, kungfoodude said:

How is overreaction even possible? Am I missing something? 

Are we not expected to the the worst team in the NFL by pundits and our fans alike? 

Our season is a success based on it having some level of cohesion and possibly our offseason moves not looking like a fuging disaster. That's my take. 

At least at that rate we have hope the Top 5 draft pick will be something that will help and some potential light at the end of this tunnel.

Calling the HC vanilla and boring after 2 preseason games would be overreacting. Yes we are going to be bad this year sad yes our offense will be a working process. You already know some of these guys will blame it on preseason when everyone knows it’s going to happen regardless. 

• Beer 4

Is it possible to overreact to a franchise that holds the current worst win % in all of professional sports?

As a fan you assess the situation and right now it just looks like the staff is hiding the starting offense.

This offensive group better come out swinging against the Saints.

6 minutes ago, frankw said:

Is it possible to overreact to a franchise that holds the current worst win % in all of professional sports?

As a fan you assess the situation and right now it just looks like the staff is hiding the starting offense.

This offensive group better come out swinging against the Saints.

I think if you move your question to the end of your post it will make things clearer.

Edited by Jon Snow

9 minutes ago, Jon Snow said:

I think if you move your question to the end of your post it will make things clearer.

I think whichever way one may fall on this it's a shame the Panthers are even making it a conversation given what transpired last year.

Last week I was watching the Pat McAfee show and he had Billicheat on.  Billicheat said a lot of good things about training camp and preseason.  He said the preseason was more about evaluating players and their technique and in game experience over team play.   You're looking at guys who are fighting for a roster spot.   No one really gives a damn whether they win or lose.   It's more about evaluation.

13 hours ago, ForJimmy said:

McVay is notorious for doing this. Even when he had Goff through his up and down years. Eagles also have not played starters yet this preseason. Those two teams are just off the top of my head. It hard to Google data on it because it’s such a random, useless statistic…. Go ahead and add the Jets since you just said they aren’t either. I don’t believe I’ve seen Kyler Murray take any snaps in Arizona or Cousins in ATL. 

McVay played his starters in preseason his first season as head coach of the Rams

Secondly y’all telling me the worst team in the NFL last year and over the last 5 seasons couldn’t use a few live game reps? It’s like some of the fans want to have a bad team just to virtue signal to the fans who don’t 

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

13 minutes ago, hepcat said:

McVay played his starters in preseason his first season as head coach of the Rams

Secondly y’all telling me the worst team in the NFL last year and over the last 5 seasons couldn’t use a few live game reps? It’s like some of the fans want to have a bad team just to virtue signal to the fans who don’t 

Sure they could use reps. I’m saying it’s not going to ruin there season or make me give up on a new coach if they don’t have any reps in a meaningless game. I think it would be nice, but I understand there is more than one approach. 

Cool so McVay changed his approach after one year and it worked out pretty good for him. That doesn’t help the case at all, it might strengthen it. He has tried both and is sticking with not playing his starters. 

Virtue signal? I’m just saying it’s not a big deal. It’s too early to get all dramatic and worked up on something so insignificant. It’s a difference of opinion and no amount of theatrics is really going to change that. 

Edited by ForJimmy