• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Different perspective for not starting the starters in preseason...

musicman

3 hours ago, KSpan said:

Dave found the playbook in the hidden safe. There will be no stopping them.

Since the offense was changed 3 times last year, it sounds like Dave found playbook 1 which isn't the dumbed down version of the offense? 

1 hour ago, jayboogieman said:

What happened to the belief that the Oline needed time to gel? Those guys need the reps. Has the starting Oline even had a single practice together this camp?

The Panthers don't have the talent other teams do. The starters getting more reps won't offset that talent difference, but it wouldn't make them worse.

If they haven't gelled already, it's unlikely to happen before mid-season anyway. Not to mention I would go ahead and get used to the idea of that unit being banged up. Too many guys in that unit that are injury prone.

People need to wrap their heads around the simple fact that this is going to be a very bad team. Nothing we are doing now in practice or in preseason is going to change that very much.

The hopes are that we see an offense that there appears to be some coherent design or logic at work, some of our offseason moves actually worked out and our younger players show some progression.

If none of that happens, literally nothing in this season will matter in any way at all. 

Edited by kungfoodude
  • Beer 2

3 hours ago, Ricky Spanish said:

I really don't care if the starters play or not in the preseason. I really don't understand why everyone's panties are in a bunch about this,

I do understand it and agree with the burning desire to see wtf we have with this new coach and outlier QB, I get that.

But I got over it. I have no expectations for the team as far as like, winning. I am trying to look at it as if the season is one long project. The best practice they can get will be this year. That’s too bad for the guys that can already pull their weight to have to slog through a learning season but they signed up for it.

• Pie 2

13 minutes ago, kungfoodude said:

I mean, this is a standard answer. Not really sure what anyone expects other than this.

Of course I want to get out there and play. I'm a competitor. It's who I am. The coaches have their reasons for not putting me on the field right now, and I trust their judgment, but hell yes, I want to be out there. 

That's what I want to hear.

40 minutes ago, kungfoodude said:

I mean, this is a standard answer. Not really sure what anyone expects other than this.

"I like playing in the preseason, honestly. Getting in there, trying to make sure that we're doing stuff the right way, and then getting out, trying to keep everybody healthy. And then playing the sport that I love. So I'm excited for the opportunity. Hopefully, we can hold off the rain a little bit and go out there and play a good football game against a good team." 

I mean, that's a standard answer.  His coach can also give standard answers to the press about which quarters he will play, what quarters others will play, who and what.....and doesn't wait until game day to slip it out. 

32 minutes ago, SmokinwithWilly said:

Of course I want to get out there and play. I'm a competitor. It's who I am. The coaches have their reasons for not putting me on the field right now, and I trust their judgment, but hell yes, I want to be out there. 

That's what I want to hear.

That's literally openly beefing with your coaches. That's very stupid.

11 minutes ago, CRA said:

"I like playing in the preseason, honestly. Getting in there, trying to make sure that we're doing stuff the right way, and then getting out, trying to keep everybody healthy. And then playing the sport that I love. So I'm excited for the opportunity. Hopefully, we can hold off the rain a little bit and go out there and play a good football game against a good team." 

I mean, that's a standard answer.  His coach can also give standard answers to the press about which quarters he will play, what quarters others will play, who and what.....and doesn't wait until game day to slip it out. 

He gave a nothing answer. I just don't see why anyone cares about this even remotely. His answer or him playing.

It's one of the biggest non-issue issues the Huddle has drug up.

7 minutes ago, kungfoodude said:

He gave a nothing answer. I just don't see why anyone cares about this even remotely. His answer or him playing.

It's one of the biggest non-issue issues the Huddle has drug up.

I mean, to me it really just a coach gripe.  Nothing Bryce can do but tight rope answers that aren't anything. 

but yeah, I thing people should care about Bryce Young developing, growing and getting reps going into a season.  He is a young bad player.  In a brand new offense.  With a brand new OL.  People would be hard pressed to find an example of another young, bad QB, in a brand new O that was held out of preseason work.  Not even talking about just this year.  But any year.  It's not normal.  So it stands out.  

I mean, I think people should care about the worst team in all of professional sports.....trailing blazing down their own unique ways to "fix" things. 

1 minute ago, CRA said:

I mean, to me it really just a coach gripe.  Nothing Bryce can do but tight rope answers that aren't anything. 

but yeah, I thing people should care about Bryce Young developing, growing and getting reps going into a season.  He is a young bad player.  In a brand new offense.  People would be hard pressed to find an example of another young, bad QB, in a brand new O that was held out of preseason work.  Not even talking about just this year.  But any year.  It's not normal.  So it stands out.  And the but the Panthers know better than anyone else so we shouldn't talk about how they are being unicorns arguments just seem silly. 

Preseason is meaningless. Ask any of the umtpeen veterans who have publicly stated this hundreds of times over the past 20+ years.

It. Doesn't. Matter.