• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Different perspective for not starting the starters in preseason...

musicman

There's pros and cons for not playing your starters, but here's a thought. Canales is a positive guy looking to build on positiveness. What would be better than a quick 2-0 start to build confidence and give the season (and fans) a chance! If nobody has any real film on the new offense, then how can they game plan against us and maybe we get a jump on a win or two with a hyped up team with a slight edge. 

An early lead gets your defense rushing the passer easier. A quick lead keeps your entire playbook open. A first win gives a boost in confidence and maybe gets a few more fans in the stands for game 2 the home opener. 

There are many reasons, but that is a possibility that's one of them, (not the main reason). And you all know if they come out and play solid and hard and actually win, you'll all be more interested to see if they can follow that up at BofA. 

We might not make the playoffs, but a 7 to 8 win team that's battles every game and has some potential will carry over big time into next year and with the fan base. If Canales can be positive, why can't us fans? I hope we start a new chapter and come out to BofA loud and proud and give the team a chance with fan support. Trust me, being there, it makes a difference. 

• Pie 1

7 minutes ago, musicman said:

There's pros and cons for not playing your starters, but here's a thought. Canales is a positive guy looking to build on positiveness. What would be better than a quick 2-0 start to build confidence and give the season (and fans) a chance! If nobody has any real film on the new offense, then how can they game plan against us and maybe we get a jump on a win or two with a hyped up team with a slight edge. 

An early lead gets your defense rushing the passer easier. A quick lead keeps your entire playbook open. A first win gives a boost in confidence and maybe gets a few more fans in the stands for game 2 the home opener. 

There are many reasons, but that is a possibility that's one of them, (not the main reason). And you all know if they come out and play solid and hard and actually win, you'll all be more interested to see if they can follow that up at BofA. 

We might not make the playoffs, but a 7 to 8 win team that's battles every game and has some potential will carry over big time into next year and with the fan base. If Canales can be positive, why can't us fans? I hope we start a new chapter and come out to BofA loud and proud and give the team a chance with fan support. Trust me, being there, it makes a difference. 

I don't know about everyone else, but I would only like a 7-8 win team if Young is balling out. 

I don't want a 7-8 win team that is having to hide their QB on a weekly basis, winning off strong run game and D, we could have done that with Wilks/Darnold. 

• Pie 2

22 minutes ago, CRA said:

this feels very much like Frank isn't showing much and once the season starts he unleashes a secret O that team won't be able to stop.  No film on it! 

Dave found the playbook in the hidden safe. There will be no stopping them.

• Beer 1

41 minutes ago, musicman said:

I basically said that exact thing last year. They didn’t need film as it turns out. Maybe Canales is better. 

• Beer 1

24 minutes ago, CRA said:

this feels very much like Frank isn't showing much and once the season starts he unleashes a secret O that team won't be able to stop.  No film on it! 

The big difference is last year had way too many voices, this year you can tell there is one.  Also the fact Reich had always been kind of known to have a boring vanilla offense.

Canales said he is trying to limit injuries and sort out the depth. He also stated the joint practice went well enough that he felt comfortable holding most starters. I don’t think it’s some secret offense or hiding Bryce. I think it’s literally what the coach is saying. 

• Beer 1

19 minutes ago, Tr3ach said:

The big difference is last year had way too many voices, this year you can tell there is one.  Also the fact Reich had always been kind of known to have a boring vanilla offense.

Canales is boring and vanilla. 

Looking at last year vs this year, the only actual difference in the too many voices narrative....is the newb OC that won't be calling plays, is from the same coaching tree.  That's it. 

25 minutes ago, Ricky Spanish said:

I really don't care if the starters play or not in the preseason. I really don't understand why everyone's panties are in a bunch about this, They played last year and were absolute poo. If they don't play this preseason they can't be any worse.

The narrative of canales "hiding" Bryce is dumb. It's all a bunch of dumb whiny babies not getting to watch the "best" players in games that don't matter. If preseason reps actually mattered, we wouldn't have been as poo as we were last year. Coaching is more important. No idea if canales is the guy but he certainly can't be worse than rhule and Reich the past 4 years.

YARN | It can. It can always be worse. | Game of Thrones (2011) - S05E07 |  Video clips by quotes | d0b12cd5 | 紗

• Flames 1

31 minutes ago, Ricky Spanish said:

I really don't care if the starters play or not in the preseason. I really don't understand why everyone's panties are in a bunch about this, They played last year and were absolute poo. If they don't play this preseason they can't be any worse.

The narrative of canales "hiding" Bryce is dumb. It's all a bunch of dumb whiny babies not getting to watch the "best" players in games that don't matter. If preseason reps actually mattered, we wouldn't have been as poo as we were last year. Coaching is more important. No idea if canales is the guy but he certainly can't be worse than rhule and Reich the past 4 years.

Hiding Bryce is the biggest joke of a take I’ve read. Let’s talk about how good Bryce played at joint practice, build up some hype, hide him, then start him to let everyone down during the regular season. What could go wrong??

Much ado about nothing. They are scrambling to salvage what they can from the worst group of backups in the NFL and are better off not losing any starters to preseason "games."

This isn't going to have much impact on our season, regardless. 

• Pie 1