• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Fan Interest

29 minutes ago, jayboogieman said:

They should have killed the portal once NIL became a thing. That would have let the kids get paid while keeping the schools competing for HS kids just like they always have, except it would have been a little more above board.

Portal + NIL basically = pro sports with no contracts. Open free agency with no salary cap following every season. I'm all for the kids getting their piece of the pie but right now it's a complete cluster fug and they may end up killing the golden goose if they don't fix it.

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

56 minutes ago, jayboogieman said:

This was the NFL before the salary cap. If college football survives the next few years, they'll adjust as well. In the meantime, I can watch college games and just enjoy football with zero loyalties or money put into it other than my satellite bill.

Those type dudes are rare and no team sees them more than once a decade or so.

Uh... recent history proves the Panthers are already there. I get what you're saying, but the Panthers haven't sniffed the playoffs, much less a winning season, in almost a decade.

The difference is that college football has existed this way for over 80 years. It isn't going to change because there is no reason for it to do so. Also, there is no central body governing anything. It's competing fiefdoms for an ever bigger part of the pie. Additionally, college football rarely makes money for the institutions. They spend it all and more in an attempt to clamor to the top of this heap.

Hence why I have said they are building an unsustainable and unrealistic model. It will collapse and likely within my lifetime. The demographics and youth interest are not in their favor at all. 

Feel free to search my many dire predictions about the future of college football(and to an extent the NFL). The biggest advantage the NFL has is that it is a collective of some of the wealthiest people on the planet that are invested, so they will find ways to adjust and make sure that doesn't destroy their investments. College football is a disjointed conglomerate of thousands of individuals that care nothing about the future of the sport but are mearly there to suck any many of its teats dry on their way out.

30 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

Portal + NIL basically = pro sports with no contracts. Open free agency with no salary cap following every season. I'm all for the kids getting their piece of the pie but right now it's a complete cluster fug and they may end up killing the golden goose if they don't fix it.

I think the portal and NIL were a net positive. It's the overwhelming greed of the athletic departments and conferences that ripped traditional rivalries apart ans skyrocketed costs for non-revenue sports. The portal and NIL have an extremely minimal impact on the financial health and future of the sport. If anything, they make it a more palatable option for young athletes than the years before.

The fan whining about it is just old people being annoyed by change. What NFL fan doesn't get amped about the offseason signings and the draft? That's what college football now has. It would have been great but instead the future of college football is on a collision course with complete self destruction.

• Pie 1

This is what happens when you try to cheat the game. Tepper flew too close to the sun with wax wings. We were supposed to just tank a season, maybe trade burns maybe not, and get the 1.01 or 1.02 naturally. Instead the team and a lot of you fans were delusional in thinking that we were a playoff team that season despite the fact the team fugging sucked. Tepper had to fire rhule mid season when we was leading us right to a top pick like he was supposed to. Then, when we unsurprisingly missed playoffs bc the team was trash, the FO realized we were fooked and had no shot at a top qb and got bent over a barrel trading up. Could’ve had moore + so much more on the team and been set up for success. Instead, this team feels doomed for another rebuild years from now, sorry “retooling” and we don’t even play our starters in the preseason yet Andy Reid plays mahomes. 2010-2011 was far less painful than these past 5 years of torture 

24 minutes ago, kungfoodude said:

I think the portal and NIL were a net positive. It's the overwhelming greed of the athletic departments and conferences that ripped traditional rivalries apart ans skyrocketed costs for non-revenue sports. The portal and NIL have an extremely minimal impact on the financial health and future of the sport. If anything, they make it a more palatable option for young athletes than the years before.

The fan whining about it is just old people being annoyed by change. What NFL fan doesn't get amped about the offseason signings and the draft? That's what college football now has. It would have been great but instead the future of college football is on a collision course with complete self destruction.

College has always had tremendous turnover with early draft entities and only four years of eligibility anyway. But chewing nails wondering if your favorite players are going to end up playing for a rival next year is going to get old fast.

12 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

College has always had tremendous turnover with early draft entities and only four years of eligibility anyway. But chewing nails wondering if your favorite players are going to end up playing for a rival next year is going to get old fast.

I personally love the NIL.

Kids getting paid to leave for better money and more exposure is great for them. NCAA has been ripping these kids off for decades. It's their time to eat and I fuggin love it!

Edited by CamWhoaaCam

3 hours ago, 45catfan said:

I lurked back then on the Charlotte dot com site, seldomly posted.  I can't remember my handle either, but it wasn't the same as I have now.  There were two dudes always going at it though--Magnus and Colin. Pages of posts because neither would back down from a point being made.

I posted a little more on the Official site, but again, with a different handle and I can't remember which one I used.  It's been over 25 years, lol! 😀

I remember a debate over what a certain pass route was called, if it existed, went for days.

edit: and Colin had some of the best insults. Rickles worthy sometimes. You could hate that he argued over almost everything and talked down to people but had to admire the creativity in those insults.

Edited by strato
  • Beer 1

I still consider myself a big fan, but I've lost a considerable amount of interest over the last couple of seasons. Last year was the first year I didn't care to watch every single snap. I'd frequently change the channel almost immediately after the first quarter or so. This year is the first season I can't even name all the players on the team I'd bet. Before I'd be obsessed with football, now I'm not even sure if it's my favorite sport anymore. I think the nfl in general has gotten more lame, but factor in being a panthers fan it makes it that much worse. 

• Pie 2

2 hours ago, Knaakedup said:

I am fully aware that I am going to get annihilated for this comment. Hindsight is 20/20, etc. 

Buuuuuuut... we would not be in this position, and the fandom would not be in the cellar if... 

we drafted CJ Stroud. 

Oh yeah you will. Don’t you know that Stroud would have been as bad as Bryce was had he come here? Get ready to be educated.

• Pie 2

2 minutes ago, strato said:

Oh yeah you will. Don’t you know that Stroud would have been as bad as Bryce was had he come here? Get ready to be educated.

People don't wanna hear it, but its much more likely that Thomas Brown would be hailed as a genius if we drafted Stroud lol.  The situation was bad, but QB has the biggest impact on the offense.

• Pie 2

28 minutes ago, CamWhoaaCam said:

I personally love the NIL.

Kids getting paid to leave for better money and more exposure is great for them. NCAA has been ripping these kids off for decades. It's their time to eat and I fuggin love it!

I do too. I'm fine with it. It's the combo of NIL + unlimited transfers that causes the current cluster fug.