• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Fan Interest

Bring back Jeans Day Friday and we MIGHT get back on the right track.  Everyone gave Richardson sh*t for not being able to put a winning team on the field back to back seasons, but he's 1000% better than Tepper.  Tepper killed this team, killed the fan base, and even if he starts winning, I don't see myself ever having the same interest in the team as I did.  My time is too valuable to spend it watching, let along attending a game, especially with the current suckage the team displays.  Hope they get it turned around, but I'm not going to be there to witness it.

Just now, d-dave said:

I do appreciate that.  As fans, we are frustrated.  Why pay for this kind of poo product?  Hopefully they got the right coach and GM, and we see some fruit from the FA and draft picks.  We'll see.

I'm pretty sure Morgan is not the right GM already and wasn't big on his hire to start with. He was part of the previous regime and should have been shown the door, not promoted. DC is a wait and see thing, but his start isn't promising.

• Pie 4

It's a lot harder for me to keep up with the team just because of my life and obligations. So I actually see a benefit there because even if I wanted to I couldn't watch every game this year or keep up with the ins and outs of the team and players. 

Aside from that, there's nothing to get excited about right now. They traded away the two best players on the offense to trade up to draft the smallest and most physically limited QB ever drafted #1 overall. To make matters worse, they passed on CJ Stroud, who I and many other fans and maybe even the coaching staff wanted, who turned out to be very very good. 

If Bryce can show something early in the season I think you'll see a lot of fans start keeping an eye on the team again, but if Bryce is a bust, it's going to take a long time for the fanbase to recover from the destruction of the Panthers since Tepper purchased the team. I really never thought it would get this bad. 

• Pie 1

I am exactly as interested in the team as they give me reason to be interested.

I can slog through watching a bad team. I've done it before. I've rallied on Sunday mornings knowing we were in for a shellacking, and still managed to muster some enthusiasm.

But what, I ask you, what is there for me to get excited about right now?

Okay, snarkiness aside, I have one thing to look forward to, and that's to watch a punishing defense again. But on the other hand, I don't know if that is worth enduring offensive ineptitude, and even that comes with the creeping dread that when Evero gets poached, we're back to having nothing to get excited about.

3 hours ago, CamWhoaaCam said:

When you have a new owner and he's shown you he doesn't know how to run a team I can't fault people if they find another team to root for.

Tepper stinks and so does the team. I'm not wasting my time on the Panthers if they aren't showing any signs of improvement. I missed 8 games last year. If we continue to suck I'm sure I will miss even more games this season.

I don't think many owners have been great immediately?  Most jobs take time to become really good at them and mistakes are made. He has shown that he's willing to spend whatever and that he wants to win.  Those are the two pitfalls to most bad owners.  I'm not saying he hasn't been a bad owner so far,  I'm just saying I don't think that it's nearly as hopeless as a lot of people want to act.

As far as owners starting off bad, JR for all his faults had us in the NFCCG year two. He very nearly fulfilled his pledge of a SB in the first ten years.

Now we have the next guy thinking he can take a season to look at the football side and fix it. And he hasn’t done anything but make it worse. Even if he is earnestly trying his best, it is what it is.

52 minutes ago, Panthercougar68 said:

The first two years under Tepper were Richardson‘s people in charge of football and things went downhill. The biggest issue was hiring Rhule and that will always be the catalyst of why things are the way they are but to not have any hope about Dave Canales, which seems to be a very prevalent sentiment across this fanbase is just weird to me.

it took Richardson a few years in the 90s to get things right to find some stability.

The NFC Championship game in the 2nd year wasn't too shabby, right?

Anyone defending Tepper's record when contrasting the JR era simply hated JR.  There's no logical reason to defend Tepper. It's been one misstep, bungle, humiliation after another. Granted, we were never a perennial powerhouse under JR, but at least we would make some noise every so often.  We are the laughingstock of the NFL right now.  I listen to sports talk every morning on the way to work.   Remember how the Browns and Jets would be the butt of every NFL joke? Well, now, it's the Panthers! Seriously, just happened the other day where this team was a punchline.  We were bad under JR from time to time, but the team would inevitably bounce back.  Under Tepper we have fallen into the cellar and can't find the way out.

10 minutes ago, 45catfan said:

The NFC Championship game in the 2nd year wasn't too shabby, right?

Anyone defending Tepper's record when contrasting the JR era simply hated JR.  There's no logical reason to defend Tepper. It's been one misstep, bungle, humiliation after another. Granted, we were never a perennial powerhouse under JR, but at least we would make some noise every so often.  We are the laughingstock of the NFL right now.  I listen to sports talk every morning on the way to work.   Remember how the Browns and Jets would be the butt of every NFL joke? Well, now, it's the Panthers! Seriously, just happened the other day where this team was a punchline.  We were bad under JR from time to time, but the team would inevitably bounce back.  Under Tepper we have fallen into the cellar and can't find the way out.

NFC championship was great but 97-2001 was a doldrum era too we just didn’t have internet to bitch about it.

• Pie 1

14 hours ago, Dave Gettleman's Shorts said:

this is the first preseason in a LONG time were I have not kept up with training camp/preseason. normally, I am hyped for the upcoming season and seeing new rookies, FA pickups, and further development of current players. but we all know, this will the same Tepper shitshow upcoming

yeah I only watched probably 10 minutes of preseason action so far. In previous years I'd easily watch 3+ hours total, sometimes watched full games but pretty much always tuned in for the starters at least. Also, only training camp day I've followed was the Jets joint practice, in previous years I'd read up the highlights from every day of camp. Really damn hard to get interested/invested in this team any more, which is just sad.

9 minutes ago, Panthercougar68 said:

NFC championship was great but 97-2001 was a doldrum era too we just didn’t have internet to bitch about it.

A couple of 7 win seasons, a 8-8 season and one of the top offenses in the League.  Only missing the playoffs on a distant tie-breaker (point differential)while running up 45 points on the Saints in the final game.  Total doldrum. Yes, the internet was around and yes, there was a Panthers message board around as well.  I know, I was on it.

• Pie 2

12 minutes ago, 45catfan said:

A couple of 7 win seasons, a 8-8 season and one of the top offenses in the League.  Only missing the playoffs on a distant tie-breaker (point differential)while running up 45 points on the Saints in the final game.  Total doldrum. Yes, the internet was around and yes, there was a Panthers message board around as well.  I know, I was on it.

yeah I was sending emails before the Panthers ever played their first game

Guess I'm the minority.  Grew up in Charlotte-Metro.  Watched the team since the beginning.  They suck, sure, but I will watch the games.  Shake my head.  Enjoy my beer. I do tend to tune out if they are just getting dominated and you know that it isn't going to change from quarter to quarter (you can just tell sometimes).

I guess I'm able to compartmentalize and watch Panther games as "entertainment" via a recorded youtubeTV instance - fast forwarding commercials, half time, saving a lot of personal time.  I've never purchased any panther gear.  I've only been to a couple games when my company gave us tickets or someone needed a wing mate and had an extra ticket.  I guess you could say I've never been financially invested.  When they suck, it doesn't ruin my day. I simply don't dwell on it. 

It's hard for me to relate with the true anger/frustration that some fans feel with their sports teams, but I can appreciate it.

• Pie 3