• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

PFF: best and worst grades from Panthers' preseason loss to Jets

21 minutes ago, electro's horse said:

A 5th for mayfield is fine. A 6th for Gilmore is something you do every single time. 

also ftr trading up to the first overall pick was the right play, they just ate poo on execution. 

Fine for a team not in rebuild mode, i.e. like saying no to the Rams deal for Burns. If you aren’t planning to keep these players longer than a year or even just a handful of games, why bother.

I just used every trade where we have 0 from that trade to show just how much we pissed away for basically nothing. It’s truly astonishing how many draft picks we have wasted.

I too have been wanting a rookie QB since I led the Tank for Trevor discussions and yes we ate complete poo. Not only did we pick the wrong guy, we took all the wrong steps. If you know you are planning to go after a rookie QB, you 1) need to figure out who you want around the QB, 2) figure out how to get the best pick for drafting the rookie and 3) decide who you don’t need that could help you in 2). We decided Burns was more important than CMC and Moore, which is stupid. We decided that we should finish 2022 with a vet coach that players could rally around instead of a guy who’s doing a great job to get you a top pick and went from 1-4 to 7-10 getting pick 9 instead of 2, 3 or 5 (Colts had a tie). Trading Burns for 2 1sts and a 2nd was a no brainer when you didn’t want to pay him $30M and you’d need draft picks to go get the QB or more weapons. As I’ve said before, we looked like a better team for 2023 than the Rams did so it’s very probably that we could have given away the Rams 2024 1st instead of ours. We could have take Williams or gotten a bounty to replace the picks we lost for Young.

• Pie 1

3 hours ago, WhoKnows said:

Fine for a team not in rebuild mode, i.e. like saying no to the Rams deal for Burns. If you aren’t planning to keep these players longer than a year or even just a handful of games, why bother.

the panthers weren't in rebuild mode in either of those. They missed the playoffs by one game in 2022 and looked fantastic down the stretch. The talent was clearly there; the coaching was not, until rhule was fired. And rebuilding or not, you need a QB that can actually like run practices and show up on sunday and paying a 5th rounder for one is completely reasonable.

And you're not remembering the circumstances around Gilmore. The defense, especially early in the season, was looking like it was good enough to compete. the team was fuging 3-1, coming off a loss in dallas with a ton of bullshit. Never forget Jeremy Chinn hitting that white tight end so hard he fumbled, ut because he was literally stopped in time like he was hit by Thanos gauntlet the refs called hi forward progress stopped? They had just lost Horn to a strained eye lash, they'd acquired CJ Henderson, and Gilmore fell into their lap. He wasn't even a 2022 6th; he was a 2023. You take that deal every single time.

In closing, the team was 3-1, had what looked like a very good defense, and had an all pro caliber CB fall into their lab for a 6th round draft pick in the following draft. Only a moron doesn't take that or thinks it was a bad trade.

• Beer 1

On 8/19/2024 at 3:05 PM, electro's horse said:

A 5th for mayfield is fine. A 6th for Gilmore is something you do every single time. 

also ftr trading up to the first overall pick was the right play, they just ate poo on execution. 

No the right play would have been keeping cmc and Moore and trading burns. Instead we traded guys that we still had to eat large chunks of dead cap and did 0 with the return we got for them. Now shitterers assistant is in charge of the team.  Taking it back even further the right play would have been starting will Grier instead of bringing in Bridgewater taking our lumps in year one of rhule and starting a rebuild instead of trying to get to 8-8. If ever there was a perfect year to tank it was 2020 with no fans in the stands and they would have taken very little backlash

Edited by toldozer

On 8/19/2024 at 3:05 PM, electro's horse said:

Agree with all points

edit: also agree with another poster that said we shoulda traded Burns instead of Moore, which is part of eating poo on execution. Or even better traded Burns to the Rams and used one of those firsts in place of the player in traded up to #1

Edited by JawnyBlaze
  • Pie 1
  • Beer 1

1 hour ago, toldozer said:

No the right play would have been keeping cmc and Moore and trading burns. Instead we traded guys that we still had to eat large chunks of dead cap and did 0 with the return we got for them. Now shitterers assistant is in charge of the team.  Taking it back even further the right play would have been starting will Grier instead of bringing in Bridgewater taking our lumps in year one of rhule and starting a rebuild instead of trying to get to 8-8. If ever there was a perfect year to tank it was 2020 with no fans in the stands and they would have taken very little backlash

I don’t think making any of those moves would have mattered at all. 

Remember that the one thing that wouldn't have changed it the idiots coaching, idiots making FO decisions and the idiot owning the team.

This is why I don't get too invested in the "what ifs" under Tepper. This mess starts at the top.

• Pie 2

1 hour ago, electro's horse said:

Okay how far back are we going 

right move would have been to fire Ron at the start of 2013 and promote Sueliman after firing hurney. 

I thought Sueliman was in on decisions like not trading Burns, for one. Is that wrong? He’s gone too, probably for a reason. 

• Pie 1

1 minute ago, strato said:

I thought Sueliman was in on decisions like not trading Burns, for one. Is that wrong? He’s gone too, probably for a reason. 

Yeah I thought we wanted Brandon Beane.  He's better than what we got but they don't have any titles either.

• Beer 1

On 8/19/2024 at 6:29 AM, electro's horse said:

I loved Jordan Matthews in college and wanted the panthers to draft him originally but man he looks washed out there. 

There are those players every year on every team. For example, I LOVED Brady Christensen at LT because while I was scouting Zach Wilson, BC looked like a frikkin stud. No one was happier than me when we drafted him. Don't get me wrong, I still think he can contribute backing both guard and tackle pots, but in my mind he was the franchise LT we'd been missing for years, and the steal of the draft.  The NFL is a totally different beast than college ball.

Edited by shaqattaq
  • Pie 1

what bothers me about this:  I watched the replay to see what we have in Jack Anderson---he was OK--and he was playing LG--not RG as PFF states.  Did they get the names confused (Mason Brooks, 71, was playing RG and he looked better that Anderson, but my focus was on Anderson).  So was the 90 PFF score awarded to our LG or RG?   I actually hope the 90 score went to Brooks RG because we have Zavala as LG depth.

Edited by MHS831
  • Pie 1

Note that Mason Brooks #71 is at RG.  I watched him and he did well.  Gonna look more into it, but I think the PFF scholars made a mistake.  The score was not Anderson's 90, it was possibly Brooks' score.

image.png.2087ae6f984186b985b8c0445609ac96.png

• Pie 1