• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Our all time greats at every position

8 minutes ago, PNW_PantherMan said:

I didn’t know they also played RB

Can't directly compare different positions. But you can look at their contributions and see what they meant to the roster. True MVP's.

I think it's important to note what some of the best players here did with some truly mediocre at best teams around them and just decent enough coaching. Cam and Steve Smith especially. They are indisputable MVP's.

I don't think the Panthers at any point have been as stacked across the board as the 49ers are. Especially on both lines. Add in the coaching and the lack of any real powerhouse competition in the NFC anymore and you're a perennial SB contender with a guaranteed playoff spot with homefield. Not having to fight for that alone is a huge boost.

If the NFC and our division were this weak with Cam and Luke in their prime I have no doubt we would have at least one Lombardi Trophy in the Carolinas. If Steve Smith were in the picture too? It's not even a question.

• Beer 1

5 minutes ago, frankw said:

Can't directly compare different positions. But you can look at their contributions and see what they meant to the roster. True MVP's.

I think it's important to note what some of the best players here did with some truly mediocre at best teams around them and just decent enough coaching. Cam and Steve Smith especially. They are indisputable MVP's.

I don't think the Panthers at any point have been as stacked across the board as the 49ers are. Especially on both lines. Add in the coaching and the lack of any real powerhouse competition in the NFC anymore and you're a perennial SB contender with a guaranteed playoff spot with homefield. Not having to fight for that alone is a huge boost.

If the NFC and our division were this weak with Cam and Luke in their prime I have no doubt we would have at least one Lombardi Trophy in the Carolinas. If Steve Smith were in the picture too? It's not even a question.

Sure but that has nothing to do with CMC being the most talented RB to ever play for the Panthers.  He's most likely going to be a Hall of Famer.  If he was still on the team, he would have been #1 on everyone's list.  Some of us can step back and see that, and others can't.  And that's okay.

I like the topic but can’t fully participate due to food coma. I will just choose now and go with SS89 and Cam because they were the only two players who were the face of the franchise and carried the team during their respective “reigns.” 
with those two there was always hope that if they were on the field there was a fighting chance even if everything else was falling apart. 

I mean if you were suiting folks up for a fantasy game and you wanted to win….everyone is picking CMC at RB.  Stew getting a bump for time plays and CMC dinged.  Even DWill got a vote 

3 minutes ago, PNW_PantherMan said:

Sure but that has nothing to do with CMC being the most talented RB to ever play for the Panthers.  He's most likely going to be a Hall of Famer.  If he was still on the team, he would have been #1 on everyone's list.  Some of us can step back and see that, and others can't.  And that's okay.

HOF seems like his to lose at this point. But then again we don't know what father time holds and at 28 he's approaching that wall period for many other backs over the years.

If given the option I'm likely picking CMC first on the all time Panthers RB list. But I also can't say what a few other greats like Stephen Davis and Jonathan Stewart in their prime might have been able to accomplish with that 49ers offense and staff.

Yeah that's one of those things where opinions vary. But it's also one where we just unfortunately never got to see McCaffrey dominating the way he has in San Francisco with the Panthers and us actually winning anything of value to the franchise in the process. We just don't have those memories. We saw glimpses of his potential and often that was at the expense of the rest of the offense around him. One man show if you will. You could argue none of the coaches we had properly utilized him and were too overdependent on him. At the same time if you look at the snap count numbers the 49ers actually use him as much or even more than we did. Take the Super Bowl for example. People were arguing he needed the ball more. But he already had 30+ touches on the game. In the 80's or 90's the Niners win that Super Bowl. But it's the time of the versatile QB now. Without one you're out of luck. Game managers can only do so much.

• Pie 2

Just now, frankw said:

HOF seems like his to lose at this point. But then again we don't know what father time holds and at 28 he's approaching that wall period for many other backs over the years.

If given the option I'm likely picking CMC first on the all time Panthers RB list. But I also can't say what a few other greats like Stephen Davis and Jonathan Stewart in their prime might have been able to accomplish with that 49ers offense and staff.

Yeah that's one of those things where opinions vary. But it's also one where we just unfortunately never got to see McCaffrey dominating the way he has in San Francisco with the Panthers and us actually winning anything of value to the franchise in the process. We just don't have those memories. We saw glimpses of his potential and often that was at the expense of the rest of the offense around him. One man show if you will. You could argue none of the coaches we had properly utilized him and were too overdependent on him. At the same time if you look at the snap count numbers the 49ers actually use him as much or even more than we did. Take the Super Bowl for example. People were arguing he needed the ball more. But he already had 30+ touches on the game. In the 80's or 90's the Niners win that Super Bowl. But it's the time of the versatile QB now. Without one you're out of luck. Game managers can only do so much.

The all time greatest and my all time favorites are a completely different roster.  I posted it earlier in the thread, but Stephen Davis is my favorite Panthers back of all time.  Even though he really only had one good year.  I just loved the old school running style.

• Flames 1

1 hour ago, Gapanthersfan said:

I loved watching Stephen Davis tote the rock. 

Looking over the list, I never thought I would praise Hurney for his drafts but lord man.

Jake and Cam’s injuries derailed some really good years this franchise could have had. 

He couldn't manage the cap.  Didn't pick the right players to hand out massive deals to, etc.  We had to let some good players walk, and we couldn't fill out some pretty good rosters.

• Pie 2

Starting 22:

QB: Cam

RB 1: CMC

RB 2: J Stew (I'm opting for 2 RBs instead of a FB since the position is practically extinct)

WR: Smitty

WR: Moose

TE: Olsen

LT: Gross

LG: Wharton

C : Kalil

RG: Trai (was close to picking Norwell)

RT (honestly struggling to think of good RTs for us ever...): Moton I guess

DE: Peppers

DE: torn between Burns and Charles Johnson - I'll go CJ

DT: Jenkins

DT: Short (honorable mention to Star and Brown - both are/were dominant run stoppers)

Strong side LB: TD

MLB: Luke (honorable mention to Beason - dude was a stud but will never be chosen over Luke)

Weak side LB: Kevin Greene (forgot how many freaking sacks he had for us his few years with us)

CB: Gamble

CB: Josh Norman (while he didn't have the INTs, teams just didn't throw at him because he was lockdown + we were pretty bad at the other corner spot)

FS: Mike Minter

other safety: Charles Godfrey (honestly can't think of 1 good strong safety we have ever had)

Special teams: don't care about them

Edited by PleaseCutStewart
  • Pie 1