• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Stephon Gilmore to the Vikings

mcsmoak

I realize that it is the second team and so much depends on the pass rush, but I have been quietly impressed with the depth--Jackson, Smith-Wade, Bootle, Jaminson even.

I have also been happy with the depth at ILB.

Hard to say until the starters vs starters are out there.  I imagine there will be a player waived who we pick up, however, and likely a CB.   I liked when Morgan said, "Its like a second draft" referring to released players.

• Pie 7
  • Beer 2

Defense, especially secondary, are playing way above expectations. They are playing disciplined football within Evero’s system. For the first time since, ever?, our 2s and 3s on defense are playing better than their opponents. Our 2/3 string players have traditionally been JAG- or PS level, across the board. On average, he has upped the level of play a half point across the board. JAG- bumped up to JAG+. PS up to JAG-. Especially on this team under Tep, that’s just so impressive. 

Our players are actually covering well and breaking up passes without getting a PI call every time. Maybe Dan does know what a good and smart defensive FOOTBALL player looks like. I’ll repeat what I said in the last game thread, aggressive and disciplined defense creates turnovers. This defense (and offense?) will be responsible for a lot of turnovers this season. 

He gone by the end of the season. His dudes show 0 quit. He shows 0 quit, even going back to last year. He will be the #1 HC candidate. He will end up with a powerhouse like Pittsburgh or SF. 

Edited by Gapanthersfan
  • Pie 2
  • Beer 2

59 minutes ago, Gapanthersfan said:

Defense, especially secondary, are playing way above expectations. They are playing disciplined football within Evero’s system. For the first time since, ever?, our 2s and 3s on defense are playing better than their opponents. Our 2/3 string players have traditionally been JAG- or PS level, across the board. On average, he has upped the level of play a half point across the board. JAG- bumped up to JAG+. PS up to JAG-. Especially on this team under Tep, that’s just so impressive. 

Our players are actually covering well and breaking up passes without getting a PI call every time. Maybe Dan does know what a good and smart defensive FOOTBALL player looks like. I’ll repeat what I said in the last game thread, aggressive and disciplined defense creates turnovers. This defense (and offense?) will be responsible for a lot of turnovers this season. 

He gone by the end of the season. His dudes show 0 quit. He shows 0 quit, even going back to last year. He will be the #1 HC candidate. He will end up with a powerhouse like Pittsburgh or SF. 

If I am Canales, I have my future DC learning all he can from Evero.

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

1 hour ago, MHS831 said:

If I am Canales, I have my future DC learning all he can from Evero.

I hope he is. Canales is probably a pretty smart dude. He knows what he has in Evero and sees how the players respond to his coaching style. He knows with each game and every INT collected that his stock rises even higher. 

Edited by Gapanthersfan
  • Pie 1

4 hours ago, mcsmoak said:

Still not sure why we didn’t bring him in.  He was interested in coming and we certainly could use him.

$10M on a 33 year old stop gap CB would've been a terrible decision for a team likely to be drafting in the top 10 again.

• Pie 2
  • Beer 2

59 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

$10M on a 33 year old stop gap CB would've been a terrible decision for a team likely to be drafting in the top 10 again.

what’s funny is the team he went to will be right there with us come draft night 

• Pie 2
  • Flames 1

4 hours ago, Clicheking said:

Our depth is severely laking but I'm very optimistic about some of the young db's we have. Hopefully our coaches can develop them

Since the depth is lacking, I understand why they are playing the bench during preseason.  A. Starters are thin and injuries happen; B.  You get to see if a player emerges.  So far, I can say that the DB play has lessened the urgency to get deeper there.  I noticed that we are really looking for depth at OT--looks like BC is the utility OL and Zavala is going to be the depth at LG.  Njman is coming back--so maybe the OL depth is getting there.  At WR, we need to see the bottom of the Roster--Coker, Smith Marsette, maybe Marshall Jr, but we have 4 who are locks.  TE?  Sanders has been impressive.  OLB/Edge? Leota has shown out.  DL---who is Smith and what is he capable of?  At RB, you had to love 28's (Boone) performance last night--he wants a job. #3 QB? We know he is not on the roster--maybe headed for PS anyway.  ILB---to me, the depth is exciting.  So when we say, "I hope our coaches can develop them," I agree, and I can think of no better way to get film and experience than the preseason.  In my estimation, we will take a few off waivers---I think Zappe from New England, a WR (I think the Packers are a team that is loaded--watch that roster), and maybe an OL.  A CB could be in the cards, but I saw solid play from the secondary.  An Edge?  Maybe, but that would mean they do not like Barno and Chaisson.

Edited by MHS831
  • Beer 1