• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

What is the benefit to benching starters for the preseason?

hepcat

1 hour ago, kungfoodude said:

Yep. The warning signs were there. 

And even having a HOF QB didn't matter. He was the worst stsrting QB in the NFL that season and played terrible.

It was our game to lose and we fuging lost.

That's one I will never forgive Ron & Co. for. 

I mean, it would have taken the best game of the season.....because we were going to have to win a game tilted for Peyton's proper ending. 

Refs 100% influenced the outcome of that game.   If the big moments in that game where called correctly, Carolina wins IMO. 

• Pie 2

2 hours ago, CRA said:

I mean, it would have taken the best game of the season.....because we were going to have to win a game tilted for Peyton's proper ending. 

Refs 100% influenced the outcome of that game.   If the big moments in that game where called correctly, Carolina wins IMO. 

I think even so our coaching staff shooting themselves in the foot was the bigger factor. 

Do I believe this went to script for the NFL? Absolutely. 

• Flames 2

7 hours ago, WhoKnows said:

What did I say that was wrong? I’m not moving any goal posts. You were using veteran QBs who’ve played for the same coaches and then pointed to Herbert with a new coach and you didn’t realize he was hurt all preseason until Monday. Personally, I’ve never said that I think sitting vet QBs is a problem.

I just gave you a list of Young’s closest peers and showed that Young was the only one not taking snaps and he has a brand new coach and a brand new OL.

Sorry you couldn’t argue against valid points.

The goalposts have been moved so much you don’t even know what the original point was, so here’s a summary:

OP: “the best teams in the NFL are all playing their starters in the preseason”

Me: “That is factually incorrect” gives multiple examples, not just QBs.

Somebody else: Well a team with new coaches, schemes, etc. needs to play their starters. (Goal posts moved)

Me: Gives Justin Herbert example (bad example due to injury).

You: Herbert a bad example because he is injured. Talks about OL needing to play, which I would agree with but I think part of that has been minor injuries and whatever “personal matters” Damien Lewis was dealing with. Either way, moving goal posts to the OL.

Me: Ok, but what about Hurts, Mayfield, etc. (I lost sight of the original Justin Herbert point at this point because, you know, the moving goal posts. However, Mayfield and Hurts are 2 examples I gave that are working with new coaches, plays, etc. which was the Justin Herbert point)

You: Vets versus first round QBs drafted the past 2 years. Goal posts moved again.

The original point was simply that it’s incorrect to say all the best teams have been playing their starters this preseason.

5 hours ago, WUnderhill said:

The goalposts have been moved so much you don’t even know what the original point was, so here’s a summary:

OP: “the best teams in the NFL are all playing their starters in the preseason”

Me: “That is factually incorrect” gives multiple examples, not just QBs.

Somebody else: Well a team with new coaches, schemes, etc. needs to play their starters. (Goal posts moved)

Me: Gives Justin Herbert example (bad example due to injury).

You: Herbert a bad example because he is injured. Talks about OL needing to play, which I would agree with but I think part of that has been minor injuries and whatever “personal matters” Damien Lewis was dealing with. Either way, moving goal posts to the OL.

Me: Ok, but what about Hurts, Mayfield, etc. (I lost sight of the original Justin Herbert point at this point because, you know, the moving goal posts. However, Mayfield and Hurts are 2 examples I gave that are working with new coaches, plays, etc. which was the Justin Herbert point)

You: Vets versus first round QBs drafted the past 2 years. Goal posts moved again.

The original point was simply that it’s incorrect to say all the best teams have been playing their starters this preseason.

Sure thing. You gave examples for Young that started with Herbert and I pointed out that while the new coach fits, he was hurt. You then changed it to a bunch of vets who I agree don’t need preseason time. I then mentioned the first and 2nd year QBs who are new just based on being in 1st/2nd years as better examples and showed how Young was the outlier this year. Seems like a logical progression following your changes.

Also, neither Hurts nor Mayfield has a different HC this year and both of their OCs have been NFL OCs before. Young has a new HC and a 1st time OC. Even though they are slightly similar, Young is still in a situation where more reps make sense, especially considering his youth and new OL, new HC, 2 new key WRs and an OC who’s never been an OC.