• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

What is the benefit to benching starters for the preseason?

hepcat

7 minutes ago, jayboogieman said:

Just started watching, so no cliff notes

Cliff Notes:

• Injury concerns
  • Different philosophies
  • Players need reps, especially QBs
  • Points out how other rookie and second year QBs are impressing in their camps

There's a lot more detail in the 16 minute video

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

2 hours ago, ForJimmy said:

When they get reps in preseason it typically isn't enough to equate to one game.  So yeah they probably will start off slow (kind of figured they would regardless), but even with that 17 games should be enough assuming he is healthy.  That's less than one game of practice he will be missing. 

The counter to this argument is if we do play Young in preseason and he gets hurts and misses a chunk (if not all) of the season.  We would still not have a good evaluation on him.  Imagine if he comes back for the last couple games and plays better.  Do we roll with him again?

I think Canales wants his OL healthy before he inserts Bryce to start rolling out this offense.  I don't necessarily agree with it or not, but it makes a little sense.

If BY were to get hurt in preseason, say season ending, we would have to seriously consider another QB in the draft even if he were capable of returning. Year 3 would be an evaluation year again and year 4 we have to consider 5th year option. 

We're not going anywhere without a QB so if one comes along we like better than BY, it's just business. Let them compete. But dont hamstring the team because you're afraid of hurting his feelings. 

I'm actually a little more concerned about DC than BY. If DC doesn't work out and goes full Frank mode, BY will be on his 3rd head coach in 3 years and that HC will definitely have zero ties to him. This team needs some stability somewhere. I hope we find it. 

• Pie 2
  • Beer 1

5 hours ago, KSpan said:

No one is suggesting that first-teamers play entire preseason games. However, there is little doubt that a team with a new coach, new schemes, and new players at key positions would likely benefit from getting a few drives under their belts during the preseason in true game situations. 

I get that a lot of the league is moving toward this model but when the best in the league do something, such as the Chiefs, 49ers, etc still playing some/all of their guys to varying degrees, it's fair to think that it adds value. Like everything in recent years though, the rubber will meet the road here in 2 weeks and time will tell how Canales' strategy works out this season. 

I think maybe this dichotomy between the teams trying to adapt with a new plan vs the successful ones not changing, might have to do with hey it worked for us why change. Might be some off that in there.

And historically, history shows (who said that first? It’s a quote quiz) that innovators lead the way and you do not want to be a follower  -in that you want to be with the leaders. If what they are doing differently leads to success those ‘old school’ team may find themselves playing catch up. 

18 minutes ago, SmokinwithWilly said:

If BY were to get hurt in preseason, say season ending, we would have to seriously consider another QB in the draft even if he were capable of returning. Year 3 would be an evaluation year again and year 4 we have to consider 5th year option. 

We're not going anywhere without a QB so if one comes along we like better than BY, it's just business. Let them compete. But dont hamstring the team because you're afraid of hurting his feelings. 

I'm actually a little more concerned about DC than BY. If DC doesn't work out and goes full Frank mode, BY will be on his 3rd head coach in 3 years and that HC will definitely have zero ties to him. This team needs some stability somewhere. I hope we find it. 

I’d say DC gets several plus years like Rhule did. He got to bring in his own staff too. People who have worked with/under him before. Frank did not and that’s one of the reasons it got so toxic. 

Sure if Bryce gets hurt early we probably still look at a QB if an upgrade is there, but it will be tough to decide on what’s an upgrade. We need to evaluate him this year so we can make a clear decision next year. 

• Pie 2

8 minutes ago, pantherclaw said:

So now Young isn't being played because of fear of public perception? 

Are you fuging kidding me? Couldn't get any worse by you guys. 

I used to sweep poo under the bed when company was coming... 

Says not playing the starters is a flex by DC and Tim hopes it works out for him.

Says if the team has a slow start, the narrative will be how could they be expected to have a fast start since they hadn't played together beyond practice reps, new play caller, new scheme, etc.

Brings up the injury concerns.

Jokes a bit about DC being so happy to score a TD in the final seconds of the game and how he had an aura about him when he walked into the post game presser.

There's more too.

On 8/19/2024 at 11:01 AM, WUnderhill said:

It’s funny how I just gave clear examples of actually most of the playoff teams last year not playing starters and this post immediately follows. To your first point, Justin Herbert hasn’t played a snap this preseason either with new coach, schemes, players, etc. Y’all really just need to stop acting like this is some Panthers-only, losing teams only, approach so we can have real conversations. And just lol imagining the posts we would have to endure here if Bryce Young had played this preseason to go 2/6 for 11 yards and a sack as Brock Purdy has.

You do realize that Herbert has been hurt, right? Not the best example of not playing in preseason when he literally returned to practice on Monday for the first time since 7/31.

I don’t really care because I don’t think we are any part of contending this year anyway. I don’t get not starting guys who  could use some game time snaps, especially like the OL where our starters haven’t had a single game snap and entire interior hasn’t ever played together before. It is what it is. We’ll know pretty quickly if it’s a repeat of last year or not and if we had a good draft or not.

13 minutes ago, WhoKnows said:

You do realize that Herbert has been hurt, right? Not the best example of not playing in preseason when he literally returned to practice on Monday for the first time since 7/31.

I don’t really care because I don’t think we are any part of contending this year anyway. I don’t get not starting guys who  could use some game time snaps, especially like the OL where our starters haven’t had a single game snap and entire interior hasn’t ever played together before. It is what it is. We’ll know pretty quickly if it’s a repeat of last year or not and if we had a good draft or not.

Ok, what about Hurts, Mayfield, Jackson, Goff, etc.? Like I said I don’t keep up that closely with other teams, just looking at box scores of preseason games since that’s basically all that’s needed to refute some of the claims being made. I gave a bunch of other examples I’m sure they’re not all hurt.

22 hours ago, WUnderhill said:

Ok, what about Hurts, Mayfield, Jackson, Goff, etc.? Like I said I don’t keep up that closely with other teams, just looking at box scores of preseason games since that’s basically all that’s needed to refute some of the claims being made. I gave a bunch of other examples I’m sure they’re not all hurt.

I don’t see an issue with guys who are proven vets. Josh Allen was supposed to start and play but it was raining so they kept him on the bench.

Do you want to know who has played in the preseason? Williams, Penix, Richardson, Stroud, Maye, Levis, Daniels, Nix and McCarthy. Basically every 1st round QB from last year and this year plus Levis has played in at least one of the preseason games. We have the only 1st round plus top of 2nd QB in the past two years that hasn’t played a down in the preseason.

• Pie 1