• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

What is the benefit to benching starters for the preseason?

hepcat

10 hours ago, ProcessBlue2 said:

A) They recognize there is no depth at all behind the starters.

B) They have no money and are trying to get guys reps because if we get thin somewhere this season there isn't much money for outside help.

C) Trying to prevent any injuries to the starting group so item B (see above) does not happen. 

Not ideal, but they are playing it safe.

This is why.  I get that everyone want a to see Bryce and our high priced guards play.  After safety, we are about as deep at other positions as a kiddie pool on your yard in August after a week of straight sun.

Most of the players we're watching won't be in the team.  The staff wants to see who is a gamer, who plays better than practices. 

Right or wrong doesn't matter.  It's a practical issue.  We didn't fluke in to 2-15 last year.  We earned it.  If we look lost the first month of the season, call it a lesson learned.  

Preseason is not great.  No one wants to show their cards.  You limit your game plan.  If Bryce owns the 2nd team jets, what does that tell you?

I'm pretty sure the only way to make any of y'all happy is to play well and win in the regular season.

• Pie 3

9 hours ago, pantherclaw said:

Yet other teams have sat their starters. 

The Jets sat their starters. Mr Rogers hasn't played significant football in almost 2 years.  

Yet they weren't worried about him. 

I know...he wasn't a rookie last year. He only didn't play at all. 

If you're going to talk out of your ass, please Don't speak like it's factual. 

Aaron Rodgers is a literal HOF QB who missed last season with injury who the Jets have gone all in on….

comparing a horrible 2nd year Bryce Young to Aaron Rodgers just doesn’t equate 

some guys sit….vets, guys off injury, proven mobile QBs….every example of the few who don’t see preseason have no comparison to Bryce Young 

• Beer 2

I did not read the thread, so excuse me if I steal an idea-I think I will here.  Too many zingers and repeated sarcastic attempts at humor that victimizes the favorite team--so here we go:

1. Injuries

2. They have the inter-squad scrimmages where you have 1s vs 1s that protect the qb and the players are not finishing plays (tackling) with a lot of aggression.  In the preseason.  Remember when that asshat Bill Romanowski for the Broncos broke Kerry Collins' jaw in a preseason game?  You have 1s vs 2s or 3s and it gets dangerous.

3. You really do build the roster from the bottom up.  By giving the bottom half of the roster extended reps in a game, you see what you have--less likely to make a mistake when you have to waive / cut players.  Other teams get more extensive tape on these players.

I would like to add that three games is not necessary if teams are going to do this.  2 practice games are enough.  

• Pie 3

16 hours ago, chknwing said:

Carolina needs to know 100% what Bryce can do with a healthy team.  If he is poo, they will look to draft his replacement.  They are giving him every chance without creating an injury excuse for Tepper to utilize.  Bryce stinks it up, Tepper will be on board to drafting another qb.

But since they can do nothing about it until the draft, why do you play him in preseason?  It seems to me that you have 17 games to see how bad he is if the draft is the answer. 

8 minutes ago, jfra78 said:

If they gonna do this they need to stop charging for preseason games

I had the same thought--or open them up to people who can't otherwise afford a Panther ticket--admit them for $5--they have people who pay for these tickets as part of packages and dont attend.  If they donated these tickets back to the team, they could admit them for free, sell them for $5 to support a local charity, and make a ton more on parking and concessions.

• Pie 4
  • Beer 2

17 hours ago, thunderraiden said:

Players not playing = no starters with injuries

i think thats all they care about considering we have zero depth at any position outside ironically QB

Yeah this is what DC said in week one. Joint practice gives you reps and limits injuries. He wants to evaluate our depth and keep our guys healthy. It’s a trade off.

3 hours ago, MHS831 said:

I had the same thought--or open them up to people who can't otherwise afford a Panther ticket--admit them for $5--they have people who pay for these tickets as part of packages and dont attend.  If they donated these tickets back to the team, they could admit them for free, sell them for $5 to support a local charity, and make a ton more on parking and concessions.

If I was an owner of an NFL team, I would do this.  But then again, that's probably why I'm nowhere near a billionaire.

7 hours ago, Gapanthersfan said:

Saints game plan on defense is pretty easy. Send the house the entire first half and reevaluate at halftime. 

It’s a no win for the Panthers at this point. No starting line or Bryce screams weakness. Showing how weak in preseason doesn’t help the cause.

It’s send the house. Only thing changing this is if they get burned with some nasty screens, toss sweeps or end arounds that the CB or safety overplays. This is where Canales has the chance to really impress me. I’m not sure the inside run has a chance in hell. It’ll be 2nd and 11 at best. Starting the game with a screen would be epic. 

Bryce is incapable of defeating g the blitz.

What's it like in your world?  That's not reality.