• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Inactives: Starters get the night off against Jets

7 minutes ago, pantherclaw said:

This is the by product of only a 3 game preseason, and the importance to figure out the entire roster. Not the starters. 

It's just more important to get the depth figured out.  The 1 or 2 series the starters would get isn't going to change anything.  Except to the fans. 

Weird how basically only Carolina, the worst team in the NFL, views it what way 

• Flames 5

11 minutes ago, pantherclaw said:

This is the by product of only a 3 game preseason, and the importance to figure out the entire roster. Not the starters. 

It's just more important to get the depth figured out.  The 1 or 2 series the starters would get isn't going to change anything.  Except to the fans. 

This is just flat out wrong

NFL game speed is different than training camp, even the practices against other teams.

Getting the starters a series or two in each preseason game will help them be more up to speed and in sync from the opening kickoff would be a massive help.

It's not as important for 30 year old vets, but we have a young team, particularly on the offensive side of the ball.  The game speed reps for them are far more important to this season than to figure out who are going to be the 45-53 men on the roster.

Edited by tukafan21
  • Pie 2

2 minutes ago, CRA said:

Exactly

If KC is playing Mahomes and Kelce in the preseason, then we have ZERO argument to make for not playing Bryce and his young teammates.

If teams don't want to play their 35 year old QB's, then yea, that I understand, or someone coming off a serious injury last year, okay.

But that's not our situation, these guys need game speed reps, it's going to be a rough enough season as is, why are they not trying to do more right now?

• Pie 1

28 minutes ago, bigjohn said:

Not saying I necessarily agree with the approach, but I do understand some of the reasoning.

-We are so thin at some positions, a couple of injuries could make a huge difference. We have such a depth issue, we'd be picking up other teams cuts to start for us.

-With the 17 game season, you can almost make the argument that importance of the first few games is much less than normal.

-Coach may be thinking "We probably aren't making the playoffs anyway, but either way it's more important for us to play better the second half of the season, and we stand a better chance of that if we avoid extra live bullets in the preseason".

-Gives a much chance to see if any of the backups can play at all.

Just some of the thoughts. Those joint practices are better for evaluating talent in some ways anyway.

If it were me, I'd definitely play the starters a series or so in this game.  But I also think some of us are so starved to see these guys, we want that for ourselves.

If we open up the first game with a 14-3 lead at half, I wonder what the reaction would be (besides most of us being drunk off our ass in disbelief)?

Honestly, it's probably as much about delaying the inevitable embarrassment for as long as possible as it is about any actual strategic approach. As long as we're playing scrubs we can act like it'll be so much better once we're playing our starters and game planning. You know, kinda like we were doing this time last year.

• Pie 2

25 minutes ago, CRA said:

They're not the only one. As a fan, I get it. I want to see the starters too.  

I just understand the other's idea of it too. It's called being unbiased. 

27 minutes ago, tukafan21 said:

This is just flat out wrong

NFL game speed is different than training camp, even the practices against other teams.

Getting the starters a series or two in each preseason game will help them be more up to speed and in sync from the opening kickoff would be a massive help.

It's not as important for 30 year old vets, but we have a young team, particularly on the offensive side of the ball.  The game speed reps for them are far more important to this season than to figure out who are going to be the 45-53 men on the roster.

I'm happy you have an opinion of your own. It doesn't make that I posted wrong. I didn't post.my opinion.  I posted what is happening. 

We don't have to agree with it. 

I, at least, understand it. 

Edited by pantherclaw

1 minute ago, pantherclaw said:

Frankly, the fact that the starting oline has gotten so little time together upsets me more than anything.  

Unfortunately this is the modern NFL.  

I haven't liked the NFL ever since the CBA. 

Damn sissy league now. 

Oh yeah, and bring back the grass you fuging idiots! Keep the non football players off it. 

OFF MY GRASS!!!

We all pretty much know this team is going to start off slow week 1 against the saints.

Nothing this team does makes sense. Been like that for the past 7/8 years now. It’s like nobody in that damn building has learned a thing. 

• Pie 4