• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

need advice/help

iBBB

hello board,

i'll go straight to the point.

im curently stuck with a deadend job that pays 15 bucks an hour doing granite and just do see it going anywhere.

i have alot of experience with computers. i know'em in and out. from networking, to hardware, to web design. mostly everything and i learned it from on my own and from back in high school.

i would rather do something that involves computers but cant find anything at all because i never went to school for it.

do any of yall work in a computer-environment and could help me out get in on that? maybe something entry level

what would u do in my situtation.

i'm 23 and am considering going to school next fall semester but thats a long shot, because i'm probably gonna have to do part time school because of my full time job.

any advices?

ps. i cant take my job anymore, but i need every $ right now.

I can't help you right now, but have you thought about freelancing (on the web design side of things)?

That's how I worked my way into a few jobs. I had a similar experience: I framed houses during and after school. Came home and started roofing, and while doing so I started freelancing a few pieces here and there.

Now I've got a full-time job, and I make much less than I did roofing (and less than you are making now). Why did I major in English again?

But, I'm getting much-need experience in my field. I hope it'll be worth it in the long run.

English is only good for teaching and law school.

Kinda like History, my major.

Hooray!

English degrees can lead to other writing and communication jobs, but they are much tougher to get your foot in the door and still don't pay very well.

Still holding out for Hollywood screenwriter or advertising copywriter.

Do you plan to teach?

English degrees can lead to other writing and communication jobs, but they are much tougher to get your foot in the door and still don't pay very well.

Do you plan to teach?

I know a guy who manages a bank with only a BA in History. In some cases it's more about having the degree itself than what the degree is in.

But yeah, originally I thought I wanted to be a teacher. I was going to get my Master's-level license in secondary social studies, but I realized during my internship that I hate kids. So now I'm going with my other option, law school.

Do you plan to teach?

and hell even with a Communication degree it is difficult finding a job in the field where I am at right now.

Back to the primary topic......Without a degree the best and only way is to start freelancing, only way you are going to get anywhere without going to school

bigblackcat...I am pretty sure you could start doing some freelancing outside of your regular work hours...whether you offer to do some web design or repairs etc for friends or advertise to get your name out there and start building some clients. You'd have to decide at what point you thought you could make enough money to support yourself doing it fulltime. We so often get caught up with the almighty $$$, and yes, we need money to live...but there's more to life than money. Doing what you want to do is worth lots too!

Archived