• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Patrik Laine?

Nope, nope and more nope.

I was high on this guy a few years back when he was with the Winnipeg Jets, but he's since proven himself as a locker room cancer. He was a pain in the ass in Canada, got moved to Columbus and guess what? He's right back at it. He couldn't get along with Scheifele and Wheeler in Winnipeg, because neither really wanted to play on the same line as Laine. Coach in Winnipeg at the time was Paul Maurice.

If he wasn't such a spoiled, entitled asshat, he could have stayed and made the Jets a much better team. But no, he gets shipped to Columbus and, last season, suffers a concussion (it was not a clean hit) and later, a broken collarbone. He ultimately ended up in the Player Assistance Program. 

Wouldn't surprise me if he does a Kuznetsov and heads back to his native Finland. I'd be very surprised is anyone wants to take a chance on him for the kind of money he'll probably want. And, Waddell is trying to move him even though he has a 10-team NMC. Not often you see a GM of Waddell's caliber want to move someone with that kind of a cap hit. He must know Laine won't come close to earning $8.7M this season.

And, he's carrying an $8.7M cap hit.

Edited by Anybodyhome
  • Pie 2
  • Flames 1

I’m in the minority but I’d do it.

1. We have too many system players, we need more guys that can be creative and put the puck in the back of the net. Laine was once a 40 goal player and a healthy Laine should be able to put up 20 goals alongside his buddy Aho. Let’s not forget that Laine and Aho were magical at the World Junior Championships in 2016. Orlov did Kuzy some good and I think Aho would do Laine some good.

2. Laine’s contract is up in two years and the salary cap will only continue to go up. The Canes are one of the few teams that would still be in a fine position after acquiring Laine’s contract. In fact, the Canes could trade for Laine and then sign Jarvis to a two-year bridge deal and once Laine’s contract expires they can just give Jarvis the money that Laine was getting.

Kotkaniemi and a third sounds like a reasonable deal.

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

22 minutes ago, MillionDollarCam said:

I’m in the minority but I’d do it.

1. We have too many system players, we need more guys that can be creative and put the puck in the back of the net. Laine was once a 40 goal player and a healthy Laine should be able to put up 20 goals alongside his buddy Aho. Let’s not forget that Laine and Aho were magical at the World Junior Championships in 2016. Orlov did Kuzy some good and I think Aho would do Laine some good.

2. Laine’s contract is up in two years and the salary cap will only continue to go up. The Canes are one of the few teams that would still be in a fine position after acquiring Laine’s contract. In fact, the Canes could trade for Laine and then sign Jarvis to a two-year bridge deal and once Laine’s contract expires they can just give Jarvis the money that Laine was getting.

Kotkaniemi and a third sounds like a reasonable deal.

They would have to retain on him for me to be interested.... that and the Injuries I can get over how bad he is playing D but he's made of glass.

• Beer 1

Laine went to the Habs for a former 3rd round pick in D-man Jordan Harris and a 2026 2nd round pick. Columbus retains no salary.

Harris signed a 2-year extension in February for $1.4M AAV.

In other words, Columbus unloaded Laine for peanuts .

18 hours ago, Anybodyhome said:

Laine went to the Habs for a former 3rd round pick in D-man Jordan Harris and a 2026 2nd round pick. Columbus retains no salary.

Harris signed a 2-year extension in February for $1.4M AAV.

In other words, Columbus unloaded Laine for peanuts .

to a non contending team who can afford to find out if there's anything there. and as you said previously--it seems pretty likely that his next stop goes exactly how his last few have