• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Any tips on flying out of Charlotte?

methodtoll

My wife and I are flying out of Charlotte for Las Vegas in a couple of weeks and I wanted to see if anybody can give us a few pointers when arriving at CDI. For example:

How busy is Charlotte Douglas on Saturdays?

Where is the best place to park?

Where is a good place to grab some lunch before we leave?

How fast is the security lines?

It has been a while since I have flown and the last time I flew was right before 9/11 so obviously I haven't been through the heighten security. My wife and I are planning to head out pretty early. Our flight leaves around 2:30 but we plan on leaving home around 10 since our drive is about 2 hours which puts us there around noon. I figured that would give us plenty of time to get checked in, get through screenings, and grab some lunch before we take off. Does that sound about reasonable?

Look for two wings and at least one working engine. You're good past there.

Anything more than an hour and a half before hand is overkill. Personally I shoot for 45 minutes (make sure to print your boarding pass before you leave the house though).

Tip-

Get on the airplane and you WILL fly out...

If not, well guess where you will be ;)

slip on/off shoes

no metal belt

no change in pockets

no guns ;)

no weed:)

check only 1 bag if you can

print your tickets online at home

carry as little as possible on the flight

dont get drunk and talk crap to the security folks

...best i can do :)

Just don't be an idiot. Read the signs, and do what is asked of you. I flew out for the BCS National Championship in early 2009 on a freaking Wednesday, and it took me a little while to get through because they people in front of me couldn't understand that all metal needed to be removed from their pockets.

I repeat, read signs and don't be an idiot, and it should be fine.

I think I heard on the news that one of the security check points was going to be closed for a bit while they are installing those new body scanners. It may already be done, but it was supposed to be happening in April (and I think another one in a couple of months)

Relax and don't stress about it.

If I am flying out for a day or so I actually will pay the extra money and park in hourly. It's $12 a day max IIRC and you can basically park right up next to the terminal.

It's more than that now. I think the daily maximum is like $36 now or something crazy. I paid $12 for 4 hours a few weeks back when I picked up my mom's car at the hourly.

It's more than that now. I think the daily maximum is like $36 now or something crazy. I paid $12 for 4 hours a few weeks back when I picked up my mom's car at the hourly.

It did? It must have been a pretty recent change. The website is showing $16 max at hourly. Valet is only $10?????

Archived