• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Injuries begin to stack up after joint practice with Jets

During 2016-2021, a total of nearly 1,700 games were played, divided almost equally between artificial and natural surfaces; about three-quarters of the artificial surfaces were slit-film. The overall injury rate per game in this period was 1.92.

Whalen's group found that each of the following types of injury -- ankle, hamstring, groin, calf, quadriceps, anterior cruciate ligament (ACL), medial cruciate ligament (MCL), leg/ankle/foot fractures, and Achilles tendon -- were more frequent on artificial surfaces (both slit-film and monofilament) than on natural grass, by 2% to as much as 62%.

For example, rates of ankle injuries were 0.561 per game on artificial turf versus 0.498 on natural grass. The 62% higher rate was seen for MCL injuries, for which per-game rates were 0.089 on artificial surfaces versus 0.055 on grass.

• Pie 5

38 minutes ago, thennek said:

What is the deal with so many groin and hamstring injuries?  These guys not stretching properly or something?  This is crazy.

Black cat mascot doesn't help. But we've also had a sketchy training staff and bad luck with injuries for what feels like forever.

• Beer 2

40 minutes ago, Leeroy Jenkins Ph.D. said:

During 2016-2021, a total of nearly 1,700 games were played, divided almost equally between artificial and natural surfaces; about three-quarters of the artificial surfaces were slit-film. The overall injury rate per game in this period was 1.92.

Whalen's group found that each of the following types of injury -- ankle, hamstring, groin, calf, quadriceps, anterior cruciate ligament (ACL), medial cruciate ligament (MCL), leg/ankle/foot fractures, and Achilles tendon -- were more frequent on artificial surfaces (both slit-film and monofilament) than on natural grass, by 2% to as much as 62%.

For example, rates of ankle injuries were 0.561 per game on artificial turf versus 0.498 on natural grass. The 62% higher rate was seen for MCL injuries, for which per-game rates were 0.089 on artificial surfaces versus 0.055 on grass.

But how does Garth Brooks perform on artificial turf?

• Beer 1
  • Flames 5

4 hours ago, Leeroy Jenkins Ph.D. said:

Well training camp has been on grass soooooooooooooo

• Pie 1

3 hours ago, PNW_PantherMan said:

But how does Garth Brooks perform on artificial turf?

I think he was built for it.

I’m with people on the injuries.I don’t remember this many hamstrings being a thing and there is the groin injury. It begs questioning. And I went on a too cheap to take care of his players rant a couple weeks ago, i agree we need grass. 

Edited by strato

3 minutes ago, strato said:

I think he was built for it.

I’m with people on the injuries.I don’t remember this many hamstrings being a thing and there is the groin injury. It begs questioning. And I went on a too cheap to take care of his players rant a couple weeks ago, i agree we need grass. 

But they have been playing on grass…

13 minutes ago, Panthercougar68 said:

But they have been playing on grass…

That's right! when I read your post the grass popped into my mind’s eye. Got me there. I was being a sheep on that one.

Still a grass fan though. Just an ignorant one.

Edited by strato