• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

The Jets Joint Practice Thread: HOT Take Edition

1 hour ago, frankw said:

The Carolina Panthers have been the worst team in the NFL for at least 3 years.

No resting starters isn't some unique thing that just started happening recently. I dont think anyone myself included are arguing that.

But the teams you mentioned along with the Rams have earned some level to a high level of the benefit of the doubt as they have each been competitive. I mean you have multiple Super Bowl contenders in that list with consistent sustained success. The Panthers have earned absolutely not even a sliver of the benefit of the doubt to make bold moves and declarations about anything. We're on our 3rd head coach in 3 seasons lol. Do I hope they are right on this? Hell yes. Do I automatically expect it will turn out fantastic for us? Bluntly no I do not. We'll see how it goes.

You’re skeptical we get it but playing starters seems to be the old school mind and newer coaches tend to not do it across the league. It is what it is 

1 minute ago, Panthercougar68 said:

I tell you I wasn’t impressed with Javon Kinlaw who is with the Jets now. Wasn’t there a contingent of people upset we took Brown over Kinlaw?

That's a rollercoaster one. Kinlaw when in the 20s(?) and some of huddle was mad panthers couldn't predict the future enough to trade back and pick. Rookie year kinlaw started hot best I member and as you know brown struggled for his first 1.5 years or so. Then was having a best 3rd PS TC and had a bad leg injury. Brown turned into King Kong and kinlaw never got over the injury. 

1 hour ago, WUnderhill said:

You are completely missing the point. People are and have been arguing that it’s some unique thing to the Panthers and/or that it’s a barometer of success. You’ve got no problem with people saying Andy Reid plays his starters, but you do have a problem with people saying Sean McVay doesn’t play his starters.

Yeah exactly, I was gonna mention that too but I was already venturing into tl/dr territory. People have no problem comparing us to good teams when it serves their point. But when it detracts from their point, it’s “we shouldn’t be comparing ourselves to those teams”. Frank himself even specifically pointed out Demeco Ryans thinking playing starters was a good idea, clearly to make a point that that’s something good/smart teams do. But when it’s something good and bad teams do in a roughly even split, then it seems like it’s a pretty poor indicator of successful philosophy and rather just a function of personal coach preference. 

• Flames 1

3 minutes ago, MasterAwesome said:

Yeah exactly, I was gonna mention that too but I was already venturing into tl/dr territory. People have no problem comparing us to good teams when it serves their point. But when it detracts from their point, it’s “we shouldn’t be comparing ourselves to those teams”. Frank himself even specifically pointed out Demeco Ryans thinking playing starters was a good idea, clearly to make a point that that’s something good/smart teams do. But when it’s something good and bad teams do in a roughly even split, then it seems like it’s a pretty poor indicator of successful philosophy and rather just a function of personal coach preference. 

Bingo 

6 minutes ago, MasterAwesome said:

DeMeco Ryans has already won a playoff game in his first season as a head coach.

The Panthers haven't been to the playoffs since what the 2017 season?

But we've finally found the formula everyone. No more preseason for us 🙌

• Pie 1

2 hours ago, CRA said:

I love this logic that gets trotted out over and over. 

sports is sports.  drills are drills.  practice is practice.  Scrimmage is scrimmage.  Games are games. Everything is unique and it's own thing.  My son and I even go over this as he is prepping for his football season.   Controls vary.  You have more and less depending on which we are talking about.   There are controls in scrimmage play.  There are pros to that.  Coaches have it.   Looks can be dictated.  Red jersey always a different environment.  To get and see what you want to see.  But Bryce is trotting out a narrative for a reason. Which is what I addressed. 

We have a tiny QB, that struggles behind massive line play......if you remove him getting hit from the equation....it provides a totally different scenario.  QB play changes.  Line play changes.   

I don't have to play QB in the NFL to understand practice, scrimmage, preseason, and an actual games are all different animals.   Bryce needs to rep in his brand new O, behind in brand new OL, where he faces being hit, and operating the O.   Because it puts him in the fullest version of a real game he can get to and brings his biggest issues actually into play with consequences. 

So the answer is no. Got it. Proceed with your unqualified opinions. 

8 minutes ago, frankw said:

DeMeco Ryans has already won a playoff game in his first season as a head coach.

The Panthers haven't been to the playoffs since what the 2017 season?

But we've finally found the formula everyone. No more preseason for us 🙌

Even though this has absolutely nothing to do with my argument, I’ll play this game with you. We’re not supposed to compare ourselves to good teams, so how about we compare two good teams to each other? Sean McVay has won a Super Bowl and been to the playoffs 5 of his 7 seasons - he’s a hell of a lot more accomplished than DeMeco Ryans.  He doesn’t play his starters in preseason. So what conclusion am I to draw from that? Is McVay therefore correct and DeMeco is wrong? See how dumb and pointless this argument is?