• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

The Jets Joint Practice Thread: HOT Take Edition

4 minutes ago, frankw said:

The Carolina Panthers have been the worst team in the NFL for at least 3 years.

No resting starters isn't some unique thing that just started happening recently. I dont think anyone myself included are arguing that.

But the teams you mentioned along with the Rams have earned some level to a high level of the benefit of the doubt as they have each been competitive. I mean you have multiple Super Bowl contenders in that list with consistent sustained success. The Panthers have earned absolutely not even a sliver of the benefit of the doubt to make bold moves and declarations about anything. We're on our 3rd head coach in 3 seasons lol. Do I hope they are right on this? Hell yes. Do I automatically expect it will turn out fantastic for us? Bluntly no I do not. We'll see how it goes.

And you will be called a hater and negative when it doesnt work and you call it out. Thats just how it goes around here.

• Beer 1

5 minutes ago, frankw said:

No resting starters isn't some unique thing that just started happening recently. I dont think anyone myself included are arguing that.

But the teams you mentioned along with the Rams have earned some level to a high level of the benefit of the doubt as they have each been competitive. I mean you have multiple Super Bowl contenders in that list with consistent sustained success. The Panthers have earned absolutely not even a sliver of the benefit of the doubt to make bold moves and declarations about anything. We're on our 3rd head coach in 3 seasons lol. Do I hope they are right on this? Hell yes. Do I automatically expect it will turn out fantastic for us? Bluntly no I do not. We'll see how it goes.

You are completely missing the point. People are and have been arguing that it’s some unique thing to the Panthers and/or that it’s a barometer of success. You’ve got no problem with people saying Andy Reid plays his starters, but you do have a problem with people saying Sean McVay doesn’t play his starters.

• Pie 2
  • Beer 1

7 minutes ago, frankw said:

The teams mentioned also largely have locked in QBs and QBs they paid.  They teams just need their QBs to be healthy.   

We are still trying to grow a functional one and find out if he can be a functional QB. 

• Pie 2

I'm not immune to hope but the Panther's have conditioned me to be skeptical.  It felt a little fresh today hearing some positive reports from the joint practice.  Let's mash them in the mouth Saturday when game conditions are simulated.

• Pie 2

4 minutes ago, WUnderhill said:

You are completely missing the point. People are and have been arguing that it’s some unique thing to the Panthers and/or that it’s a barometer of success. You’ve got no problem with people saying Andy Reid plays his starters, but you do have a problem with people saying Sean McVay doesn’t play his starters.

Sean McVay and Andy Reid can do whatever they damn well please at this point because they are established championship coaches.

You and any other Panthers fan can list off however many successful teams you want to justify your position it still doesn't validate the Panthers position on preseason until they actually prove anything on a competitive level.

It's wild that we have to argue over things like this. The onus is entirely on the Panthers and their first time head coach that is trying to both dig the worst team in the NFL out of a hole and also last years worst starting QB out of the same hole. I'm of the opinion that with all of this in mind full picture maybe it would be prudent to exhaust every avenue possible to increase the possibility that the team will be ready come the start of regular season considering there are new roster additions in a new offense a new scheme with an all new coach and staff. The fact that anyone is trying to insinuate to me that this is somehow an outright unreasonable position is quite amusing.

I guess we will have to agree to disagree kind sir's.

• Pie 2

4 minutes ago, frankw said:

Sean McVay and Andy Reid can do whatever they damn well please at this point because they are established championship coaches.

You and any other Panthers fan can list off however many successful teams you want to justify your position it still doesn't validate the Panthers position on preseason until they actually prove anything on a competitive level.

It's wild that we have to argue over things like this. The onus is entirely on the Panthers and their first time head coach that is trying to both dig the worst team in the NFL out of a hole and also last years worst starting QB out of the same hole. I'm of the opinion that with all of this in mind full picture maybe it would be prudent to exhaust every avenue possible to increase the possibility that the team will be ready come the start of regular season considering there are new roster additions in a new offense a new scheme with an all new coach and staff. The fact that anyone is trying to insinuate to me that this is somehow an outright unreasonable position is quite amusing.

I guess we will have to agree to disagree kind sir's.

I’m not trying to justify my position. I think they should play and it has nothing to do with whether the previous season was good or bad.

19 minutes ago, CPF4LIFE said:

And you will be called a hater and negative when it doesnt work and you call it out. Thats just how it goes around here.

Because the entire premise of the argument is, "This team has not been successful, so nothing they do is right and I am allowed to make demonstrably false claims" which doesn't make sense.

In this case, there's no secret sauce for approach in preseason. People might have their beliefs on how it should be done and why, which is fine. But... if the preseason model doesn't work, then why has it worked before?

38 minutes ago, ForJimmy said:

This is kind of where I am at.

Will it help to play our starters in the preseason?  Sure it will help to a degree.  Definitely not to the degree that some people are acting on here.  Starters usually play limited snaps so maybe it affects our first drive or two of week 1 and that's a maybe.  So there is a risk vs reward...  I mean does anyone think if we played our starters more last year we would have some how had a better record?

We are also one of the worst rosters when it comes to depth.  This mean two things regarding preseason.  The first is a major injury can greatly decrease play on the field for the regular season.  The second is we really need to evaluate our depth for young promising players, and other teams castoffs.  The best way to do this is to play the players fighting for spots to get an in game look at them.

Where I'm at as well.

Everybody agrees for the most part that this was the worst roster in the league last season that would be difficult to turn around in a single offseason. They want to keep the starters healthy and find the best depth that they can in order to see who they can build with. I get wanting to take advantage of the different looks they could create in the joint session vs. another team. I expect the starters to get a series or three during the final preseason game, but if they're worried about depth for a particular group I can see them sitting still.

Was awesome to see a much, much better joint session than last season. I remember Quinnen WIlliams bragging about the sacks, concerns about the OL being shared, and talks about the WRs not being able to separate (Unnecessary Bluntness mentioned it after last year's practice). If the team can follow up a good practice with a decent game, it might be okay for some to hope again. It'll also be their only night time game, so it'll be interesting seeing if that gives anybody a little extra juice.

• Pie 1