• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

The Jets Joint Practice Thread: HOT Take Edition

4 minutes ago, PNW_PantherMan said:

Hot take:  We seem to be the only team that thinks preseason is useless.

I don't think it's useless.  I think it's as useful as a joint practice.  One is just televised and presented more as an actual game.  The number of snaps most starters get in the preseason is usually pretty low.  

I do think it doesn't mean anything when it comes to the regular season.  If we went 3-0 in the preseason I would be excited, but I wouldn't change my record prediction of 6 wins being a good season. If we go 0-3 I still probably have the same expectations. 

2 minutes ago, ForJimmy said:

I don't think it's useless.  I think it's as useful as a joint practice.  One is just televised and presented more as an actual game.  The number of snaps most starters get in the preseason is usually pretty low.  

I do think it doesn't mean anything when it comes to the regular season.  If we went 3-0 in the preseason I would be excited, but I wouldn't change my record prediction of 6 wins being a good season. If we go 0-3 I still probably have the same expectations. 

I get what you're saying but there's no way a practice field scrimmage is a replacement for being in a game situation under the lights.  Even if it's just an exhibition.  It was a big deal in high school playing in front of basically nobody.  It seems like that gap would only widen as you get into college and the pros.  But that's just how I see it.

Just now, PNW_PantherMan said:

Now that I could see happening.  Regular season goes to 20 games.

That's probably a very long way off and by then the league would probably look much different (international, 2-3 bye weeks, etc.). But I do see it going to 18 games within the next 2-3 years and if the NFLPA has their way that'd cut it down to 2 preseason games.

Honestly, the amount of preseason games the NFL has had historically is kinda ridiculous. I get it's not a direct comparison with other leagues since the sports are different along with roster construction, but NHL has 6 preseason games compared to 82 regular season, and NBA is 4 and 82. That's 7.3% and 4.9% of their regular seasons respectively. NFL for a long time was 4 preseason and 16 regular season, 25% of the regular season length... Now down to 17.6% but that's still just really high to me. 2 preseason, 18 regular season seems to make sense, although I get the NFLPA pushing back on extending the regular season.

3 minutes ago, PNW_PantherMan said:

I get what you're saying but there's no way a practice field scrimmage is a replacement for being in a game situation under the lights.  Even if it's just an exhibition.  It was a big deal in high school playing in front of basically nobody.  It seems like that gap would only widen as you get into college and the pros.  But that's just how I see it.

Right but those couple extra reps the starters get can be useful but not as impactful as some people are making it out to be. Like last year for example, we could have played Bryce all 3 games all series and I truly don’t believe it changes our season unless he got hurt. 

Plus most of these guys have played under bright lights and big crowds before. High school I’m sure it’s hitting different. 

5 minutes ago, t96 said:

That's probably a very long way off and by then the league would probably look much different (international, 2-3 bye weeks, etc.). But I do see it going to 18 games within the next 2-3 years and if the NFLPA has their way that'd cut it down to 2 preseason games.

Honestly, the amount of preseason games the NFL has had historically is kinda ridiculous. I get it's not a direct comparison with other leagues since the sports are different along with roster construction, but NHL has 6 preseason games compared to 82 regular season, and NBA is 4 and 82. That's 7.3% and 4.9% of their regular seasons respectively. NFL for a long time was 4 preseason and 16 regular season, 25% of the regular season length... Now down to 17.6% but that's still just really high to me. 2 preseason, 18 regular season seems to make sense, although I get the NFLPA pushing back on extending the regular season.

Well first of all, the NBA has summer league for the real young guys.  And secondly, the first quarter of the NBA season is basically the preseason.  That's always how Shaq treated it.

There's just not enough games to waste them getting ready in the NFL.  It's a lot easier to overcome losing a few games when there's 82 of em.

3 minutes ago, ForJimmy said:

Right but those couple extra reps the starters get can be useful but not as impactful as some people are making it out to be. Like last year for example, we could have played Bryce all 3 games all series and I truly don’t believe it changes our season unless he got hurt. 

Plus most of these guys have played under bright lights and big crowds before. High school I’m sure it’s hitting different. 

Well if they come out week 1 and drive down the field and score, I'll eat my crow.  But if they come out and suck an egg, well.. nobody's gonna shut up about it.

Edited by PNW_PantherMan

40 minutes ago, Butterflyj30 said:

God these types of 'highlights' are freaking worthless. Hate this dumb trend where you can't actually see anything contextual. Looks like nice placement and a good catch though.

• Pie 1

1 minute ago, PNW_PantherMan said:

Well if they come out week 1 and drive down the field and score, I'll eat my crow.  But if they come out and suck an egg, well.. nobody's gonna shut up about it.

I'd be surprised if we are clicking that early regardless.  Pleasantly surprised though!

12 minutes ago, PNW_PantherMan said:

I get what you're saying but there's no way a practice field scrimmage is a replacement for being in a game situation under the lights.

Not a replacement, but to act like there's not a reason coaches and players aren't skewed towards it is wild.

Edited by Rags
  • Beer 1

16 minutes ago, KSpan said:

God these types of 'highlights' are freaking worthless. Hate this dumb trend where you can't actually see anything contextual. Looks like nice placement and a good catch though.

It’s part of that whole “we want to show you but not the whole play” thing in the NFL. Fortunate to be there today in person and It was honestly the best throw I’ve seen Bryce make here.

• Beer 2

1 hour ago, CPF4LIFE said:

Exactly. It's childish and sad. 

Hot take

So are the ones hijacking a practice thread where he had a really good day to talk about him being bad or to complain about people saying he looked good.

43 minutes ago, PNW_PantherMan said:

Ricky!  I'm outta fire again.  Hit me! 

giphy.gif

🔥Hot Take🔥

Boiling hotdogs is the best way to cook them because then you get delicious water when you're done.

Ask and ye shall receive

🔥Hot Take🔥

David Tepper is a relatively patient owner, he just sucks at making good choices.

• Pie 1
  • Flames 1