• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Mayfield and darnold

Sam can be fine as long as he plays within the structure of the play. He never needs to go off script. If a play breaks down just tell him to throw it away. 
Baker is a solid QB IMO. Give him some playmakers and he will get them the ball and have the offense running well. 

• Pie 3

1 hour ago, kungfoodude said:

Okay, so when he fails in this situation, are you going to finally give up on him? I will say that this is just simply an inevitability because it is.

The point I have made many times when people chase these reclamation project QB's is that if literally everything around you needs to be perfect for you to come close to be successful, aren't you just not a good QB in the first place?

JaMarcus Russell had a howitzer of an arm and all the requisite skills but he had a 10 cent brain that didn't want to do any of the work necessary to be an NFL player.

Ryan Leaf had every tool that Darnold has and more. But he was a nutcase that wasn't mentally prepared to do what it takes to be a successful NFL player.

Those are just two of the Sam Darnold types that had all the tools but didn't have it between the ears. That's not accidental. That's one of the most common and most obvious separation points between being a good college player and being a good NFL player. 

After all, how could any Panthers fan argue that Kelvin Benjamin wasn't capable of being a good NFL player? We saw it happen. But ultimately once a few things didn't go his way, he didn't have the mental ability to battle back nor the work ethic to excel. 

Rinse and repeat, it's a story told dozens of times every single NFL season. It's very perplexing how so many keep getting blinded by a guy like Darnold who is just so incredibly clearly never going to be a successful NFL player because he doesn't have that in him. You can't be an NFL QB if you consistently struggle to read the field(this wasn't a shock, he also had these struggles at a smaller scale at USC).

Thanks, kfd. I do know the downside of athletic talent is too often lots of unused space up in that brain area. That post, those guys, that’s a harsh environment for nuance to thrive. You definitely made your point with those two. 

I doubt Jamarcus’ switch clicks, like ever. Leaf’s finally might have, long into adulthood and way too late for the NFL. I thought it did once before and then read more stuff... who knows. Bless his heart. 

You might could have fooled me with Leaf, though, in ‘1998 or whenever, before I had tools to watch video and read and learn, yeah could have fooled me easy. And you still might have fooled me if I had the internet.  I still wouldn’t have had access to his shrink.

Jamarcus, I don’t think he’d have conned me very easily. He was sort of an open book. 

I appreciate you man, and I hope one day very soon they find the drug that will cure the Darnold Derangement Syndrome sufferers, who all deserve to live a normal and happy life 😉 

Edited by strato
  • Beer 2

36 minutes ago, strato said:

Thanks, kfd. I do know the downside of athletic talent is too often lots of unused space up in that brain area. That post, those guys, that’s a harsh environment for nuance to thrive. You definitely made your point with those two. 

I doubt Jamarcus’ switch clicks, like ever. Leaf’s finally might have, long into adulthood and way too late for the NFL. I thought it did once before and then read more stuff... who knows. Bless his heart. 

You might could have fooled me with Leaf, though, in ‘1998 or whenever, before I had tools to watch video and read and learn, yeah could have fooled me easy. And you still might have fooled me if I had the internet.  I still wouldn’t have had access to his shrink.

Jamarcus, I don’t think he’d have conned me very easily. He was sort of an open book. 

I appreciate you man, and I hope one day very soon they find the drug that will cure the Darnold Derangement Syndrome sufferers, who all deserve to live a normal and happy life 😉 

It just goes back to my general mantra of you don't base your decisons on outliers. Unfortunately those cases are probably at least 90% guys that just don't figure it out.

• Pie 3

8 minutes ago, kungfoodude said:

It just goes back to my general mantra of you don't base your decisons on outliers. Unfortunately those cases are probably at least 90% guys that just don't figure it out.

So, just for fun, did you nail Darnold as a prospect, or after he got into the NFL?

1 hour ago, strato said:

So, just for fun, did you nail Darnold as a prospect, or after he got into the NFL?

I was a little skeptical of him as a prospect but I never figured that he would be the level of bust that he has been. Which, realistically he has improved only minimally over what he was at USC, another classic bust characteristic.

That is something to look out for this year for Bryce. Very minimal improvement two years in is typically a pretty bad sign for a highly drafted QB prospect.

• Pie 4

14 hours ago, kungfoodude said:

Okay, so when he fails in this situation, are you going to finally give up on him? I will say that this is just simply an inevitability because it is.

The point I have made many times when people chase these reclamation project QB's is that if literally everything around you needs to be perfect for you to come close to be successful, aren't you just not a good QB in the first place?

JaMarcus Russell had a howitzer of an arm and all the requisite skills but he had a 10 cent brain that didn't want to do any of the work necessary to be an NFL player.

Ryan Leaf had every tool that Darnold has and more. But he was a nutcase that wasn't mentally prepared to do what it takes to be a successful NFL player.

Those are just two of the Sam Darnold types that had all the tools but didn't have it between the ears. That's not accidental. That's one of the most common and most obvious separation points between being a good college player and being a good NFL player. 

After all, how could any Panthers fan argue that Kelvin Benjamin wasn't capable of being a good NFL player? We saw it happen. But ultimately once a few things didn't go his way, he didn't have the mental ability to battle back nor the work ethic to excel. 

Rinse and repeat, it's a story told dozens of times every single NFL season. It's very perplexing how so many keep getting blinded by a guy like Darnold who is just so incredibly clearly never going to be a successful NFL player because he doesn't have that in him. You can't be an NFL QB if you consistently struggle to read the field(this wasn't a shock, he also had these struggles at a smaller scale at USC).

Agreed. Wasting time with those types of qbs. Anything less than a top 12 guy and you're basically running up the white flag.....and the fan base knows it. A killer for ticket sales. 

• Beer 1

• 4 weeks later...

I don't know if Baker and Darnold will have long term sustained success, but I would give up my left nut to have either of them as my QB right now.  At least they have redeeming physical qualities and look like they belong on an NFL field.  They were both amazing yesterday.

• Pie 2

1 hour ago, NAS said:

I don't know if Baker and Darnold will have long term sustained success, but I would give up my left nut to have either of them as my QB right now.  At least they have redeeming physical qualities and look like they belong on an NFL field.  They were both amazing yesterday.

I missed that in Mayfield and wasn't feeling him being signed. And this is two years later but I gave him little chance. 

Thats the thing with young he doesnt even have the physical traits to succeed in the nfl even if he started making the correct decisions and started processing the game quicker.  At least with levis who also had a bad game yesterday you can see he has the ability to make nfl throws

39 minutes ago, fanpanther said:

Thats the thing with young he doesnt even have the physical traits to succeed in the nfl even if he started making the correct decisions and started processing the game quicker.  At least with levis who also had a bad game yesterday you can see he has the ability to make nfl throws

Yes and I would put Justin Fields in the same category.  He failed in Chicago but he has special abilities that still make him dangerous.  He may just flourish in Pittsburg.  

On 8/16/2024 at 9:29 AM, ForJimmy said:

Sam can be fine as long as he plays within the structure of the play. He never needs to go off script. If a play breaks down just tell him to throw it away. 
Baker is a solid QB IMO. Give him some playmakers and he will get them the ball and have the offense running well. 

I didnt watch the game, but in the highlights it seemed having JJ helped....

KOC is a good coach as well.

I could not help but think, if only the panthers had some real good coaches when all the QB turnover was happening......darnold could have been good enough if the coaching was on point. People can say darnold always plays good a few and then fails, idk....the jets and panthers never gave him a chance by the looks. SF had a legit QB already starting and knew the system. Darnold could pull a geno. 

• Pie 1