• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Mayfield and darnold

30 minutes ago, Waldo said:

Darnold is the kind of #2 his team should pray he doesn't ever have to play. He won't last long in Minnesota as a starter, he just never developed the mental side of his game. He looks like a sacrificail lamb to buy time IMO. If they are serious up there then it's going to be a real poo show.

I'd put the odds at around 1% that Darnold ends up being the guy.  And around 99% that the Vikings fans are begging for McCarthy by week 10 or 12.  That's really too bad.  I think he was just signed so that McCarthy could ease into being the starter.  But now they're stuck with him for the whole year.  I think they will realize how good Kirk actually was.  Not that he's a superstar, but he's way better than Sam Darnold.

• Pie 1
  • Beer 2

13 minutes ago, PNW_PantherMan said:

I'd put the odds at around 1% that Darnold ends up being the guy.  And around 99% that the Vikings fans are begging for McCarthy by week 10 or 12.  That's really too bad.  I think he was just signed so that McCarthy could ease into being the starter.  But now they're stuck with him for the whole year.  I think they will realize how good Kirk actually was.  Not that he's a superstar, but he's way better than Sam Darnold.

You will see Mullens play a few games and then I suspect they will try to hit the wire for someone like Flacco. 

As hard as they scrambled for a QB last year, they will scramble harder this year because that coach is going to be fighting to keep his job.

• Pie 2

13 minutes ago, PNW_PantherMan said:

In fairness, Darnold is the backup.  If a team has to go to their backup qb for the entire season, 99% of the time the season is a wash regardless.  

• Pie 4

1 minute ago, Davidson Deac II said:

In fairness, Darnold is the backup.  If a team has to go to their backup qb for the entire season, 99% of the time the season is a wash regardless.  

It was pitched as a "competition" but it probably wouldn't have been very competitive at all. Darnold isn't Brissett, who is going to keep Drake Maye from playing some games early.

Maybe not as big of a joke as the Wilson vs. Fields "competition" that ESPN keeps trying to make an actual thing.

There is a world where JJ looked like poo and Darnold had to be the guy. That isn't what transpired, however.

• Pie 2

1 hour ago, PNW_PantherMan said:

Much less than 1%. Those fans are going to get loud by week 6 IMO. They fugged up thinking he was backup quality and he is at best a #3...the guy who should never play. He creates turnovers at the worst time and makes the wildcat a better option.

• Pie 2

Well now I am the stan. Y’all leave Sam alone! Imma go to reddit and tell everybody how mean y'all are.

My thing is, was, some people are slow learners, late bloomers. Takes them a while to put it together. I know about that personally. Some things take me a little longer to grasp, but once it clicks I’ve got. I’m not gonna say anything important to humanity clicked for me, but that’s how it works sometimes. 

Even today:Wanna ask me if I would Darnold, DJ, and Forman and all those picks, or Bryce Chuba and Theilan? You don’t have to. 

I am just going to have to see him fail in a good stable situation before I write him off because if he just puts the reads together he will win more than he fugs up. Maybe the same system same OC decent team, 2nd year... I think he still has a chance. As I say, I’m a sucker for the tools. 

Every tool is NFL quality. 7th year in the league, still only 27. I can’t look away lol. 

edit: after getting back in the 2022 mode, I thought he was getting close. Close to learning from his mistakes. 

That seems like a LONG time ago. 

Edited by strato

I never thought Darnold nor Baker were the problem, and frankly I think giving up on them both was a huge mistake. I don't think hey would have been world-beaters, but if anything the QB carousel we've seen the last several seasons shows that the QBs under-performing was the symptom, not the disease.

Terrible line. Mediocre talent at the skill positions. Uninspired coaching. No QB could step into the Carolinas for the better half of a decade and hope to be successful.

I was always in favor of trotting out Darnold to be "good enough" to helm a floundering team, and at least have some consistency at the position while we build a good team up around him. Then turn the reins over to an heir apparent.

But for some reason, a huge chunk of this fanbase, and apparently the front office was obsessed with the idea that we needed to spend a high pick on a "franchise QB" now.

Well, how did that work out? No better off in the QB situation, and talent poor as a result of the trades to make our QB situation possible.

Our intolerance for a little spell of mediocrity has earned us a decade of irrelevance.

• Pie 7

5 minutes ago, Captroop said:

I never thought Darnold nor Baker were the problem, and frankly I think giving up on them both was a huge mistake. I don't think hey would have been world-beaters, but if anything the QB carousel we've seen the last several seasons shows that the QBs under-performing was the symptom, not the disease.

Terrible line. Mediocre talent at the skill positions. Uninspired coaching. No QB could step into the Carolinas for the better half of a decade and hope to be successful.

I was always in favor of trotting out Darnold to be "good enough" to helm a floundering team, and at least have some consistency at the position while we build a good team up around him. Then turn the reins over to an heir apparent.

But for some reason, a huge chunk of this fanbase, and apparently the front office was obsessed with the idea that we needed to spend a high pick on a "franchise QB" now.

Well, how did that work out? No better off in the QB situation, and talent poor as a result of the trades to make our QB situation possible.

Our intolerance for a little spell of mediocrity has earned us a decade of irrelevance.

Let's be completely honest with one another. Tepper pushed for the trade and got what he wanted because he was desperate for some good publicity for a bit.

All we had to do was stand pat and take Levis if we wanted to shoot our shot on a QB. And keep our picks in the process. Even if we still stunk we would still pick 1 and actually have the pick.

But in the end even if you do trade up to 1 you don't play stupid games. You take the best arm talent available. We know who that was now. Some of us knew then.

• Pie 4

5 hours ago, Captroop said:

I'm still baffled on how we made Mayfield look so bad and yet, he gets shipped off to the Rams and looked far more competent, and then plays at least to the level we wanted him to be with our despised rival. Wouldn't surprise me if Darnold is last year's Mayfield although I wouldn't put money on it. If it's not a performance issue, the guy simply cannot stay healthy. 

I still have big respect for Darnold. Say what you will about his head, but bro had heart. I remember him getting the piss knocked out of him several times. His physical ability still is few and far between in the league. He needed/needs a QB whisperer. 

He’s the quintessential system guy who plays off of confidence. Give him a top 10 TE who is always open over the middle and D can* make that throw from anywhere behind the LOS.

Hes a tough sob who I think the team respected. I wish him well. 

• Pie 1

4 minutes ago, Gapanthersfan said:

I still have big respect for Darnold. Say what you will about his head, but bro had heart. I remember him getting the piss knocked out of him several times. His physical ability still is few and far between in the league. He needed/needs a QB whisperer. 

He’s the quintessential system guy who plays off of confidence. Give him a top 10 TE who is always open over the middle and D can* make that throw from anywhere behind the LOS.

Hes a tough sob who I think the team respected. I wish him well. 

A QB whisperer—- I heard something about one of those somewhere…? Maybe someone who could take a similar sized and tooled veteran…say Gino Smith…And help him grow into a decent starter…..

18 hours ago, strato said:

Well now I am the stan. Y’all leave Sam alone! Imma go to reddit and tell everybody how mean y'all are.

My thing is, was, some people are slow learners, late bloomers. Takes them a while to put it together. I know about that personally. Some things take me a little longer to grasp, but once it clicks I’ve got. I’m not gonna say anything important to humanity clicked for me, but that’s how it works sometimes. 

Even today:Wanna ask me if I would Darnold, DJ, and Forman and all those picks, or Bryce Chuba and Theilan? You don’t have to. 

I am just going to have to see him fail in a good stable situation before I write him off because if he just puts the reads together he will win more than he fugs up. Maybe the same system same OC decent team, 2nd year... I think he still has a chance. As I say, I’m a sucker for the tools. 

Every tool is NFL quality. 7th year in the league, still only 27. I can’t look away lol. 

edit: after getting back in the 2022 mode, I thought he was getting close. Close to learning from his mistakes. 

That seems like a LONG time ago. 

Okay, so when he fails in this situation, are you going to finally give up on him? I will say that this is just simply an inevitability because it is.

The point I have made many times when people chase these reclamation project QB's is that if literally everything around you needs to be perfect for you to come close to be successful, aren't you just not a good QB in the first place?

JaMarcus Russell had a howitzer of an arm and all the requisite skills but he had a 10 cent brain that didn't want to do any of the work necessary to be an NFL player.

Ryan Leaf had every tool that Darnold has and more. But he was a nutcase that wasn't mentally prepared to do what it takes to be a successful NFL player.

Those are just two of the Sam Darnold types that had all the tools but didn't have it between the ears. That's not accidental. That's one of the most common and most obvious separation points between being a good college player and being a good NFL player. 

After all, how could any Panthers fan argue that Kelvin Benjamin wasn't capable of being a good NFL player? We saw it happen. But ultimately once a few things didn't go his way, he didn't have the mental ability to battle back nor the work ethic to excel. 

Rinse and repeat, it's a story told dozens of times every single NFL season. It's very perplexing how so many keep getting blinded by a guy like Darnold who is just so incredibly clearly never going to be a successful NFL player because he doesn't have that in him. You can't be an NFL QB if you consistently struggle to read the field(this wasn't a shock, he also had these struggles at a smaller scale at USC).

• Pie 3

19 hours ago, Captroop said:

I don't think Baker was a problem, we uniquely brought out the worst in Baker. 

Sam was basically Sam here.  Sam Darnold is an athlete that just isn't a starting NFL QB.  

• Pie 2
  • Beer 1