• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Bryce bashing needs to stop

NAS

8 minutes ago, MRenshaw said:

They didn't have much talent last year. Their receivers were rated lower than ours at the start of the 2023 season, and their line was decimated by injuries all season, and they had no running game. 

I am talking to a guy who doesn’t know anything about football.  Shoe fly

Did we let Kerry Collins develop? NO. we replaced him with Beuerlein & got a good 1999 season. Instant offensive improvement.

Did we let Jeff Lewis develop? No. He was tossed before he could even see game day.

Did we let Chris Weinke develop? No. We got a place holder in Peete, who knew the offense, as we plugged in QBs to compete with Weinke. Weinke lost to Fasani and then Delhomme. It was all about which QB wasn't going to mess up and lose the job. Led to a quick SB.

Did we let Clausen develop? No. We ditched him for Cam who showed instant success & rode that to another SB.

Did we let Kyle Allen develop? No. We messed up by loading in 1st round retreads at the cost of draft building the roster. Kyle Allen had more success than Bryce. Should have kept Allen & Cam while letting QBs compete to hold onto the starting spot.

There have been 64 QBs to make it to a championship game in the last 25 years. How many struggled for 2 to 3 years without any competition so they could develop?

You load up QBs & bench Young until the other QBs fail to hold on to the starting spot. You'll get that QB who will be ready every week much faster.

There is no way Young would win an open QB competition.

Imagine if we took this development approach with Lewis, Weinke & Clausen. We'd be wondering if the Panthers could ever get to a SB.

• Pie 4
  • Beer 1

Fresh NFL QB index... Only one behind him is Daniel Jones and that's probably because Bryce got the little rushing td

Rank

Bryce Young

Carolina Panthers · Year 2

2024 stats: 1 game | 43.3 pct | 161 pass yds | 5.4 ypa | 0 pass TD | 2 INT | 12 rush yds | 1 rush TD | 0 fumbles

The reclamation project couldn't have started much worse. Young never appeared comfortable against the Saints. He missed open receivers (throwing two interceptions), struggled to make the most of scrambles and only occasionally navigated the pocket well enough to find targets amid the madness of an NFL play. The Panthers lack talent and were buried before they even had time to blink, forcing them into a pass-heavy approach that only made the situation worse for Young. He did throw a few nice passes in garbage time, but getting him right is going to be a long process.

PFN..

28) Bryce Young, Carolina Panthers

It’s just one week, but so far, Bryce Young doesn’t look any better under new head coach Dave Canales and with an improved supporting cast on offense.

Young finished Week 1 as PFN’s fourth-worst quarterback of the week, with Watson being the only non-rookie starter with a worse grade.

Perhaps the most worrisome sign with Young was his 52.1 passer rating from a clean pocket.

On 8/14/2024 at 8:15 PM, NAS said:

Just give him support and let him have the season to prove he can be the guy. Otherwise we move on. This whole bashing is problematic. Many of you made up your minds a long time ago. I remain skeptical but am honestly hoping he can still live up to the expectations.  

I wanted Stroud but that’s water under the bridge. You can’t go back in time and redo the pick, we know Tepper fugged up so just support your team, let him develop and stop calling for his head because there is nobody waiting in the wings to replace him.  

Rant over 

Those who never wanted Bryce Young, which is the majority, are going to tear him down every day there is an opportunity to do so.  

They will never stop. It makes being on the huddle pretty pointless unless you want your hated to be affirmed by others. 

Edited by pantherclaw

3 minutes ago, pantherclaw said:

Those who never wanted Bryce Young, which is the majority, are going to tear him down every day there is an opportunity to do so.  

They will never stop. It makes being on thenhuddle pretty pointless unless you want your hated to be affirmed by others. 

I don't think there is a majority that didn't want him.

Some did, more didn't, but most (like me) were willing to take a wait and see attitude.  As one of the wait and see'rs, at this point there is going to be a lot less willingness to wait if we don't see something positive.   

• Beer 1

8 minutes ago, Davidson Deac II said:

I don't think there is a majority that didn't want him.

Some did, more didn't, but most (like me) were willing to take a wait and see attitude.  As one of the wait and see'rs, at this point there is going to be a lot less willingness to wait if we don't see something positive.   

As one of those, myself, I'm willing to give him this season without freaking out over one horrendously bad game by the entire team,  against the Saints. 

48 minutes ago, Day1PanthersFan said:

He has had 18 games 

He only looked half decent in one of them 

He has proven he is not the guy

The Bryce excuses need to stop 

Anyone would be better than Bryce 

There are a lot of NFL employed QB "anyones" that wouldn't be better than Bryce. The issue is that there aren't a ton of them that would be demonstrably worse.

5 minutes ago, pantherclaw said:

They will never stop. It makes being on the huddle pretty pointless unless you want your hated to be affirmed by others. 

I didn't have the sense that most people didn't want him. I caught so much poo for saying it, maybe it was the vocal minority.  Doubt him in writing and wince at the replies ha ha. The tide took a long time to turn on that. 

Now that he is widely panned, I am still arguing out of habit. In my defense I have been arguing a year and a half.

I realize that is the case and I was trying to be hopeful headed into that game. While staying 'realistic'. 

So what happened? Bryce threw gasoline on the fire.