• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Would the Carolina Panthers move on from QB Bryce Young?

1 hour ago, ForJimmy said:

I don’t know if the wins matter as much as the performance. 

1 hour ago, Tbe said:

Bryce has to show real signs he can overcome his physical limitations. If it’s plainly obvious his ceiling is low, and we have a high pick, then we have to move on.

Bingo. Just like Canales (though to a lesser degree than Bryce IMO), have to show notable and steady improvement to hold the benefit of the doubt. 2021 Lions were 3-13-1 but got steadily better as the year went on and looked like a competent football team a good amount of the time - gotta be like that. 

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

I told people. He would be like a Drew Brees situation. Brees was too small and played horrible with the Chargers. Sucks on the team that drafted him then get released and go to another team and all a sudden, he becomes legit. From draft day I said he wasnt it if we wanted success now. Go with CJ. 

If he doesn't show any improvement then somebody has to be brought in to push/compete. It'd be criminal not to. Whether it's a first rounder or a fourth will be determined by the team's draft positioning.

heh if they do go back to QB search mode will it be like the coaching opposite thing? You know, players coach, disciplinarian, always to one extreme or the other.

We’ll be scouting no one under 6’7”.  And they have to be known to be dumb. But they can put a football into a coffee can at 50 yards. 

• Beer 1

2 hours ago, frankw said:

The if doesn't even matter. It's about the when at this point. It's a what have you done for me lately league and instant gratification is the norm whether you think it's fair or agree with it or not.

For the Panthers they need to stop operating with the sense they only need to shoot their shot on one QB. They had a layup last year in the draft on that one QB and straight up Million Dollar Baby'd that sh*t. It has to be a learning experience. Whatever happens this season you are still drafting a QB next year no matter what anyway. It's time to start being a serious franchise.

You hit nail on the head. My thing is WHY ARE YOU NOT EVEN CONSIDERING atleast bringing in competition for this guy? That is completely unacceptable. 

• Beer 1

4 hours ago, CRA said:

I mean, yeah, I think Bryce this season is battling for his job to an extent.  I think he has to climb the ladder after such a bad year or any well run team would move on. 

A step stool so he can reach the glasses on the top shelf is more reasonable than a ladder at this point I think. 

• Beer 1

1 hour ago, ncsfinest21 said:

I told people. He would be like a Drew Brees situation. Brees was too small and played horrible with the Chargers. Sucks on the team that drafted him then get released and go to another team and all a sudden, he becomes legit. From draft day I said he wasnt it if we wanted success now. Go with CJ. 

I hope that Young eventually looks as good for us as Brees did in his final two seasons with the Chargers.

• Pie 2

if Young proves that he is going to keep playing small and coming up short of say, top 18 for this year (to be very generous), I actually think they should completely wipe the slate. 

Job is up for grabs. But he is still being paid a lot of money and cost us dearly and we should extract whatever value is in him, however it has to be done. It is 100% business at that point.

I think what that means is you are paying that money, hold him to the deal and keep him on the roster. You bring in someone you expect to beat him out, that is your floor. Ceiling TBD. Either way the new guy is either given the job, or they open it to competition. I prefer a fair competition, but Bryce has had every concession and had no one to beat out and here we are. 

I reiterate for all the people that will be upset at this thought: this is in the event that he convincingly plays himself out of the job. If he doesn’t there is a new equation to look at.

If he does okay, better by a little but not enough to seal it, I would still insist on open competition. Unless he just smacks all his critics down and removes all doubt. To me there is very high bar to reach for him to be the undisputed number one going into 2025. 

And either way whether all hands on deck we are going bear hunting, or whether it’s a lesser bet, we better draft someone that plays QB next year. 

I dont know but I see an extreme meltdown happening on here if Bryce plays subpar this season but just barely enough to keep the job and he goes into next season the starter as well. Mr Completely will probably blow out his O ring with depression and doom posts unfortunately.

5 hours ago, ForJimmy said:

I don’t know if the wins matter as much as the performance. Burrow would do good to get 8 wins with our current roster.

If Bryce plays really freaking well and they are 4-13, I still think they move on from Bryce. Tepper is not patient