• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Camp Observations: Turnovers define the day 

Yo. I'm diggin Canales right now. I was afraid they'd try to turn him into some kind of pocket passer (which he is not).

While Canales and his staff have been working to lower Young's throwing time, the quarterback's physicality and aptitude to make off schedule plays is something they're reminding him he's more than capable of, even at the NFL level. As such, those scramble plays, like the one to Marshall Jr., are ones that Canales wants to see more and more out of Young.

"We love emphasizing scrambles whether it comes up in seven-on-seven or any other drill right there," Canales said. "The thought that I have in my mind is always, there are great plays out there. There's explosives that can happen on the second part of the play.

"While I would like to see the ball come out in time in those situations, sometimes we get a win on a rush. Sometimes things happen and all of a sudden you got to go to the second play."

• Pie 1

I am a bit surprised to see the emphasis on scrambling. It doesn’t seem like a great plan to me after what that looked like last year. Or looked like far too often. 

OTOH the best plays I’ve seen from him were mostly when he had space around him (and probably could see), lord lord lord what are we doing?.

I’ve been saying, they need to protect his 6 with a shadow if they are gonna do that kind of stuff because people regularly chased him down when he bailed out to the right. I say right because that's the way my mind remembers a couple of the better outcomes, it isn’t quantified to numbers.

Edited by strato

7 hours ago, strato said:

I am a bit surprised to see the emphasis on scrambling. It doesn’t seem like a great plan to me after what that looked like last year. Or looked like far too often. 

OTOH the best plays I’ve seen from him were mostly when he had space around him (and probably could see), lord lord lord what are we doing?.

I’ve been saying, they need to protect his 6 with a shadow if they are gonna do that kind of stuff because people regularly chased him down when he bailed out to the right. I say right because that's the way my mind remembers a couple of the better outcomes, it isn’t quantified to numbers.

I think early on he underestimated the speed of the NFL. But after a couple of games, guys weren't easily just running him down when he escaped the pocket. He's actually a pretty good running QB. Not fast or big, but very elusive. He's shown a unique ability to make guys miss in the open field. Enough where it's an actual thing, not an anomoly. 

But scrambling and creating something out of nothing (passes) when the play breaks down is probably why he was picked #1 overall. Otherwise, they would have definitely chosen Stroud or even AR. That's the part of his game that you can't teach and what he's probably better at than his classmates - at least in college. 

• Beer 1