• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Panthers Practice August 14th

Icege

1 minute ago, Ricky Spanish said:

No argument here. We'll see how much was Bryce and how much was personnel and or play calling this year.

I honestly have no clue what the chicken or the egg is with Bryce. It wasn't just the lack of downfield plays, it was the lack of explosive plays in general. There were no pass plays where a guy took a quick slant an additional 30 yards, or plays where a receiver made a guy miss and took it to the house. It was all quick curls, out routes, and 0 YAC all year long. How much of that was Bryce not getting the ball to the right guy/giving them a chance at YAC, and how much of that was Reich's terrible scheme?

The new coaching staff gives hope that those plays CAN happen, but is Bryce capable of getting the ball to the playmakers for explosive plays? No way to tell until the season starts, unfortunately.

Overall we agree here.

As far as Bryce individually we've all gone into the weeds on the size and strength discussion enough to last us a lifetime. Now it's either we see it or we don't. It's simply that cut and dry.

Last years staff was clearly not it and at times simply abysmal. But there's been so much bad with this franchise the last 4 years that you just have no way of knowing how much of it was this variable or that variable. I wish i could say Bryce's failures last year were 80% scheme coaching and protection failures. What gives me pause is we've already done this a couple times. After we fired Rivera. After we fired Rhule. Now it's Reich's turn. I caution anyone to make Reich the complete scapegoat until we see what Canales can make work here.

• Pie 2

18 minutes ago, mrcompletely11 said:

If I was a gambling man I would put a lot of money on the Saints, especially if they sit young and the starters all preseason.  poo that is a lock if I have ever seen one, opened at 4.5 now at 5

It's a win/win.  Either we look better than you expect or you make some money.  Even you have to be happy with that!

• Pie 1

7 minutes ago, frankw said:

Overall we agree here.

As far as Bryce individually we've all gone into the weeds on the size and strength discussion enough to last us a lifetime. Now it's either we see it or we don't. It's simply that cut and dry.

Last years staff was clearly not it and at times simply abysmal. But there's been so much bad with this franchise the last 4 years that you just have no way of knowing how much of it was this variable or that variable. I wish i could say Bryce's failures last year were 80% scheme coaching and protection failures. What gives me pause is we've already done this a couple times. After we fired Rivera. After we fired Rhule. Now it's Reich's turn. I caution anyone to make Reich the complete scapegoat until we see what Canales can make work here.

I'm reserving judgement and not making any proclamations until like week 6. I think we'll know by then if it was Bryce or if it was Reich.

Two worst case scenarios:

• Bryce gets hurt so we can't properly evaluate him and miss a chance at a QB in the draft next year even though we'd have a high pick.
  • Bryce is juuuuuuuuuusst good enough, low middle of the pack QB, we finish outside the top 10 in terms of draft position and Bryce gets another year of evaluation in Canales scheme. Think Derek Carr.

Two best case scenarios:

• Bryce is him and we have a franchise QB.
  • Bryce sucks so bad we get a top pick and draft his replacement.

• Pie 4

1 minute ago, Ricky Spanish said:

I'm reserving judgement and not making any proclamations until like week 6. I think we'll know by then if it was Bryce or if it was Reich.

• Bryce gets hurt so we can't properly evaluate him and miss a chance at a QB in the draft next year even though we'd have a high pick.
  • Bryce is juuuuuuuuuusst good enough, low middle of the pack QB, we finish outside the top 10 in terms of draft position and Bryce gets another year of evaluation in Canales scheme. Think Derek Carr.

Two best case scenarios:

I think if he gets hurt, you gotta plan to take another QB and move on.  Worst case scenario you have a Drew Brees/Phillip Rivers situation.  And I'd rather have that problem than the problem of having no quarterback.

• Pie 3

1 hour ago, frankw said:

Legitimately I think I've seen one or two people here who actually wanted to be proven right about something like this. One of them was Ickmule. He's no longer here.

I've moved on and accepted the choice we made. That was my approach entering training camp. Everything now is just pure unfiltered observation.

This is why we cannot have conversations about this. You are acting as if Bryce Young has shown anything to this point that makes it ridiculous that anyone would have a hard time believing in him and giving him the benefit of the doubt for ugly turnovers. Did you watch those same games I did to end the season where we got the doors blown off and Bryce couldn't even lead a scoring drive against a Trevor Lawrenceless Jaguars team?

Virtually everyone wants the team to be good again. I'm the same. I don't care if Sir Purr is the QB as long as we aren't a doormat anymore.

Okay. So how does it help you as a fan to point out every single deficiency of one player - with almost no context? I didn't say Bryce did anything to show he was a franchise QB. I actually have never posted that. And there are probably a lot less of those across the board than your memory is creating. I call the good plays when they're good. I call the bad plays when they're bad. I point out good protection and tough catches when they happen. I point out crappy protection and drops when they happen. I point out bad play designs when they happen. I point out great play calls when they happen. I point out a lack of deep passes attempted by the QB. I point out the receiver's culpability when bad things happen too. I guess I consider my approach to the team and QB an objectively optimistic one. Optimistic because that's my personality type. Objective because well I guess personality type too. It's just a lot more fun to cheer for the Panthers to me, than to cheer against them. That's all. Maybe you're the opposite. And that's ok. Just don't agree that you should try to convince me that your approach is better than mine. I just remember playing football and never thinking this team sucks only because of the QB or vice versa. To me, a QB's success is only as good as his supporting cast. I mean Tom Brady had his best season ever with Randy Moss. If it didn't matter, then it wouldn't have been his best season. 

• Flames 1

2 hours ago, Navy_football said:

Love it!

Bryce testing his limits - in practice rather than games.

Defense making his butt pay for mistakes, and actually catching INTs. This is how a real practice should go. Everyone is getting better. 

Testing his limits getting picked on an out route (almost every single one he threw last year was in jeopardy of getting picked)......and picked by a DT?  Testing his limits would be getting picked on a 40 yarder downfield where his WR lost a 50/50 battle. 

• Pie 1

9 minutes ago, Ricky Spanish said:

Two best case scenarios:

I wouldn't mind waiting another year for a QB. Nobody in this class screams generational to me like Caleb/Stroud did.

• Pie 2

1 minute ago, CRA said:

Testing his limits getting picked on an out route (almost every single one he threw last year was in jeopardy of getting picked)......and picked by a DT? 

Yeah, you're just making that up. It's ok. I understand your pain. 

And I'm sure a DT didn't intercept an out route. If so, what the heck is a DT doing in the flats?! That's a diabolical defensive playcall!

12 minutes ago, Ricky Spanish said:

Two best case scenarios:

Another potential worst case scenario is Bryce sucks and is benched by week 7 and the red rocket wins us 6 games and we finish with like a 7-10 record.

Edited by therealmjl
  • Pie 1

I am highly skeptical of Bryce, but I also acknowledge that he was in a terrible situation last year. I would think that any honest Panthers fan will acknowledge that truth. And all that being said, right or wrong, Bryce is going to get his opportunity to show that his decidedly terrible play as a rookie was more the result of bad coaching and being in a bad situation than just being bad. I have doubts, but, intellectually I know that the possibility that he's markedly better than he showed last season is just that: a possibility. As such, I'm not interested in taking part in a whole lot of back and forth about how much he sucks. It just doesn't interest me. I'm just going to wait and see what unfolds and develop my opinion from there. Y'all have heard me say it before: Crystal balls are overrated. 

I'm certainly not going to set any opinion in stone based upon the disjointed collaboration and unholy concoction of coaching that took place last season. We were a sh¡t show on offense for multiple reasons, outside of Bryce, and it's impossible to figure out what players (coaches, coordinators and managers included) bore what percentage of the responsibility. 

• Pie 2
  • Beer 2

3 minutes ago, Navy_football said:

Yeah, you're just making that up. It's ok. I understand your pain. 

And I'm sure a DT didn't intercept an out route. If so, what the heck is a DT doing in the flats?! That's a diabolical defensive playcall!

Um, it's a message so there is a bit of extra flavor on that....but making it up? No.  Bryce Young's out routes sucked last year.   Tons were almost picked.  

Didn't say the DT intercepted an out route.  There were 2 different picks acknowledged.  The out route and then the DT one.  You claimed Bryce was testing the limits.  Nothing about those plays suggests that.