• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Panthers Practice August 14th

Icege

3 minutes ago, frankw said:

Let's pause for a sec and not get caught up in this us vs them sillinesss.

If you go back to last season before everything went to hell I was someone who said all along he would likely throw a high number of interceptions. I was fine with that. But that requires context. There is turning the ball over trying to make something out of nothing and get a big gain for the offense. And then there is just borderline throwing blind passes into the middle of the field. The latter is not what you want to see under any circumstances. It's Sam Darnold territory. That's the simple truth.

Then there is the issue of him still underthrowing passes in situations that require definitive zip on the ball in a league where margins for error are razor thin. Upcoming defensive opponents all know about these tendencies on film from last season and BY is still doing it. No amount of hopium can just wash all this away sir.

I don't want another losing season either. But if I'm seeing warning signs I'm not just going to ignore what's right in front of me.

Canales has quite the possible clusterf*ck to navigate it looks like. I hope he's ready. If things go South we need to change gears and just rip off the bandaid for the good of the team.

I could be wrong frank, but it really kinda comes off that you just want to be vindicated in your early assessments. I didn't want to draft a QB last year at all, if they had to move up to do it. But, I can also objectively observe a situation. 

At the end of the day, we're all Panthers fans. We have been for a long time. Teams go through slumps. Players have bad games. Players have good games. FOs do dumb stuff all the time. Enjoy the ride. You only get one 2024 football season for your favorite team. Don't approach it looking for the negative. Cause you'll ALWAYS find it. ALWAYS. 

• Pie 2
  • Beer 2

4 minutes ago, frankw said:

If you go back to last season before everything went to hell I was someone who said all along he would likely throw a high number of interceptions. I was fine with that. But that requires context. There is turning the ball over trying to make something out of nothing and get a big gain for the offense. And then there is just borderline throwing blind passes into the middle of the field. The latter is not what you want to see under any circumstances. It's Sam Darnold territory. That's the simple truth.

So, to be devil's advocate, Bryce didn't throw a ton of interceptions and he didn't have a ton of Sam Darnold boneheaded INTs. He had a few, but he only threw 10 total INTs on the year. League average INT% was 2.3. Bryce was well below that at 1.9.

You can make the arguments that he was playing small ball, not taking risks, etc, but protecting the ball from INTs was one of the few things that Bryce was halfway decent at last season (Fumbles, another story). I have no idea if he was making the RIGHT decisions on a play by play basis because the offense as a whole was abysmal - but he wasn't making the WORST decisions on a play by play basis.

• Pie 6

1 minute ago, Navy_football said:

I could be wrong frank, but it really kinda comes off that you just want to be vindicated in your early assessments. I didn't want to draft a QB last year at all, if they had to move up to do it. But, I can also objectively observe a situation. 

At the end of the day, we're all Panthers fans. We have been for a long time. Teams go through slumps. Players have bad games. Players have good games. FOs do dumb stuff all the time. Enjoy the ride. You only get one 2024 football season for your favorite team. Don't approach it looking for the negative. Cause you'll ALWAYS find it. ALWAYS. 

Wait, wasn't he supposedly not going to post anymore until September 5th after getting called out?

Was it that bad seeing people not be miserable? 💀

• Pie 3

2 hours ago, Icege said:

Realists don't engage in fortune telling.

Just checking the thread out but what a non-sequitur, as if having an anticipated expectation for the future is 'fortune telling'. This is the kind of intellectually-empty statement that made things so divisive last year.

Still have the rest of the thread to check out but bet it's a lot like the prior days. It's realistic to expect things that have happened to continue to do so.

Wonder how the team will look on the field this weekend.

• Pie 5

Just now, Ricky Spanish said:

I honestly think Plummer played so terribly it was impossible to evaluate the other players on offense.

Possible. But they could just play Dalton and the other guy they brought in instead of the starters if all he wants to do is evaluate the backups and bottom of the roster.

Just now, jayboogieman said:

Possible. But they could just play Dalton and the other guy they brought in instead of the starters if all he wants to do is evaluate the backups and bottom of the roster.

If Dalton is healthy I would bet he plays 1-2 quarters and Luton gets the rest.

• Beer 2

1 minute ago, KSpan said:

Just checking the thread out but what a non-sequitur, as if having an anticipated expectation for the future is 'fortune telling'. This is the kind of intellectually-empty statement that made things so divisive last year.

Still have the rest of the thread to check out but bet it's a lot like the prior days. It's realistic to expect things that have happened to continue to do so.

Wonder how the team will look on the field this weekend.

There's a massive difference in "this will happen" vs. "this might happen." You are absolutely correct though about intellectually-empty statements such as "this player can't play because they're not at a height threshold that I have yet to decide upon" are divisive and have been an issue since last year.

It is kind of funny though how the folks that felt called out are limping in after yesterday and today playing the victim. "Heavens to Betsy, I am entitled to my toxicity! How dare they fling a little mud back my way!"

Excited to see how the team gets after it vs. the Jets tomorrow as well! It'll provide a lot of valuable insight into who is going to be able to compete against other NFL rosters.

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

5 minutes ago, Navy_football said:

Legitimately I think I've seen one or two people here who actually wanted to be proven right about something like this. One of them was Ickmule. He's no longer here.

I've moved on and accepted the choice we made. That was my approach entering training camp. Everything now is just pure unfiltered observation.

This is why we cannot have conversations about this. You are acting as if Bryce Young has shown anything to this point that makes it ridiculous that anyone would have a hard time believing in him and giving him the benefit of the doubt for ugly turnovers. Did you watch those same games I did to end the season where we got the doors blown off and Bryce couldn't even lead a scoring drive against a Trevor Lawrenceless Jaguars team?

Virtually everyone wants the team to be good again. I'm the same. I don't care if Sir Purr is the QB as long as we aren't a doormat anymore.

• Pie 3