• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Panthers Practice August 14th

Icege

Shaq Thompson up to start!

• Likes that he's back. Sucked that he was out but had to get healthy to be out there 100%. Only thinking about the defense and they look good but have things they need to tighten up a little bit. Making good progress and is very happy.
  • Jaycee is one of those physical CBs that they need that is going to talk his mess. When he's on the field they know they have a physical lockdown corner that completes the defense.
  • "Forget Brian! We don't need Burns!" Followed up with that's his guy and glad he got paid to go to NY. Happy to be out there with Clowney and the other guys, happy to be Clowney and the young guys' security blanket that can help them out with filling information gaps. Ended it "But forget Burns!" lmao
  • Shaq having good fun with the reporters and asking them to repeat/reword questions. Re-emphasizes that he's focused on the defense and isn't commenting on the offense. Evero is emphasizing turnovers (strip attempts, shots on the football, etc). Top defenses in that category had about 66 attempts per game on the actual football. Have to log more attempts. Sounds like analytics playing a role here. Was hurt and didn't know how many they had last season.
  • No fighting, he's an old head. Just come out and practice. It's a great opportunity for the team and young guys to see how a HoF practices in Rodgers. Limit fights and get the great work.
  • Working on tackling, raking, etc. Every time the ball is in somebody else's hands, take the shot.
  • Shy Tuttle INT was a 10 out of 10. Big man INTs are always the best.
  • Been a little different but been a blessing to get to go home to the wife and kids. Gets to see them before bed and before they go to school which is awesome. Helps a little bit with getting into his routine. Did love the time away from family due to the bonds that were built, but this does get him ready for regular season because that's how it's going to go.
  • Asked about the rookie talent show. "They did aight." Trevin tried to do extra but they told him to stop because his was wild. Graded out as a C, so they need to come back and do better. (I'm willing to bet that Wallace sang "Pound Town" at this point lmfaoooo)
  • 1v1s vs Jets is gonna be game-like reps. Gotta take care of each other but still have to make sure fits are right, take shots on the ball, and have a hell of a practice. Likes to get that first hit in.
  • "Thank you, don't ask for me again!" Sheena Quick responds, "Yeeea right. Thanks Shaq!" 
  • Pie 6
  • Beer 1

7 minutes ago, frankw said:

I'm all for Bryce Young or anyone taking shots downfield but he's displayed some of the same terrible field vision particularly in the middle of the field and to the outside that resulted in instances like this last season.

Right? And when/where is he supposed to correct it? Practice. Right?

• Pie 1

1 minute ago, Navy_football said:

They also play these games that don't count before the season starts.  A lot teams use them for this type of thing, but I've been told otherwise by Panther fans.

Edited by PNW_PantherMan
  • Pie 3
  • Beer 3
  • Flames 1

Just now, PNW_PantherMan said:

They also play these games that don't count before the season starts.  A lot teams use them for this type of thing, but I've been told otherwise by Panther fans.

Agree that everyone could benefit from preseason games. I think that's an opportunity to apply what you've learned in practice before it acually counting against you. Not necessarily where you try new things. Just my opinion though. 

• Pie 1

Tommy Tremble at the podium! Must be my birthday... two of my favorite Panthers today. 😄

• Interrupted his JUGS session with Chuba but is getting right back to it after he's done at the podium. Doesn't have a set number that they go for anymore but go until they get it right because that's what being a pro is. Focused on being perfect in it, not just getting through it. Practice you try to get perfect so that you can execute in the game without thinking. The kind of work ethic him and Chuba are showing is also being showed by the rest of the guys on the team. Feels like nobody being too good for more work is bonding them tighter.
  • Few rookies last year, especially towards the end of the year, were asking how they were asking how Tremble + Hubbard were still out there giving extra. They responded, "This is the dream. What wouldn't you give for your dream?" and that seemed to rub off on them.
  • DBs have been a pack of dawgs since he's gotten here and Jaycee is a baller that can create checkmates. Has been amazing having him back in camp. His game is cool, calm, and collected. Can be technical, physical, play with speed, play with length, etc. Premiere corner.
  • Tries to do as much as he can for the guys in the meetings by paying attention and answering questions when he's been unable to practice. Together they're a team and if he's not doing his best to help everyone around him it becomes a "me" thing.
  • Trust each other, trust what the coaches have taught them, and go have fun against other guys. Will get to tee off a little more and have a good time playing football. At the end of the day, nothing is different practicing with the Jets.
  • Pie 3

1 minute ago, Navy_football said:

Agree that everyone could benefit from preseason games. I think that's an opportunity to apply what you've learned in practice before it acually counting against you. Not necessarily where you try new things. Just my opinion though. 

The season is less than a month away.  If we can't throw the ball down the field, it's gonna be a complete disaster.  Imagine last year, but now everyone has a year of film our QB.  A more realistic progression would be a sophomore slump.  That's the unfortunate reality we are facing.

It's just become pretty glaring to me why they didn't bring in anyone else.  There would be a literal mutiny.

• Beer 2

Just now, Navy_football said:

Let's pause for a sec and not get caught up in this us vs them sillinesss.

If you go back to last season before everything went to hell I was someone who said all along he would likely throw a high number of interceptions. I was fine with that. But that requires context. There is turning the ball over trying to make something out of nothing and get a big gain for the offense. And then there is just borderline throwing blind passes into the middle of the field. The latter is not what you want to see under any circumstances. It's Sam Darnold territory. That's the simple truth.

Then there is the issue of him still underthrowing passes in situations that require definitive zip on the ball in a league where margins for error are razor thin. Upcoming defensive opponents all know about these tendencies on film from last season and BY is still doing it. No amount of hopium can just wash all this away sir.

I don't want another losing season either. But if I'm seeing warning signs I'm not just going to ignore what's right in front of me.

Canales has quite the possible clusterf*ck to navigate it looks like. I hope he's ready. If things go South we need to change gears and just rip off the bandaid for the good of the team.

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

2 minutes ago, PNW_PantherMan said:

The season is less than a month away.  If we can't throw the ball down the field, it's gonna be a complete disaster.  Imagine last year, but now everyone has a year of film our QB.  A more realistic progression would be a sophomore slump.  That's the unfortunate reality we are facing.

It's just become pretty glaring to me why they didn't bring in anyone else.  There would be a literal mutiny.

okie dokie.

agree that Bryce should take more deep shots though. I think he's been trying that more in practice too. I think Canales is good for him and the rest of the team. Seems to be a different approach thus far. 

• Pie 1

Canales wrapping it up

• Spoke to recapturing work ethic from Wednesday. ST moved well and they got to do a lot of evaluation there. Story of the day was defense and the turnovers. Great day of work and he loves when guys respond to challenges. Dane Jackson's hamstring tightened up on 1v1s, waiting for more info. Nash Jensen had soreness in his Achilles but was fine during the testing. ILB Jackson Mitchell also had a hamstring tightness.
  • Higher amount of attempts punching out the ball == higher % of turnovers. Had potential picks earlier in camp but now guys are finishing and completing the turnover. Need to continue heightening execution. Shy's catch was beautiful and he transitioned immediately into a ball carrier.
  • Loves emphasizing scrambles whether they come up in 7s or in any other drill. Thought in his mind that there are great plays out there, explosives that can happen on the second part. Vice versa, the offense transitioning means the defense has to in those situations because scramble situations are all man. Conditioning plays a factor as well because those plays can extend to 10-seconds or more. While he'd like to see the ball come out on time, some times there's a win on the rush and you gotta go to the next phase.
  • As we get the practices the health of the whole group determines who they can and cannot play. Going to hold off for another couple of days before announcing who will be playing against the Jets in the game.
  • Doesn't have to make any declarations but looks at what is best for the team for the preseason games.
  • Energy is heightened against another opponent so that will be a great practice to simulate game situations and especially work on the mental/emotional aspect (resetting after the play, not holding on to frustrations, keeping good energy, etc).
  • "Turnovers are always something that we want to look at and ask what happened here." INTs happen when we're trying. If we're not throwing picks, we're not trying to make tight throws. NFL football is tightly played. The way the defense is honing in, they're looking to create those. Not worried about it but wants to look and see the cause(s).
  • When Jaycee is out there you see a guy finding his feel. Stays on his leverage, knows where his help is, knows where he can take his shot. All of that is stuff he's finding out while practicing.
  • No update on Wonnum + Barno other than they're working hard and running.
  • DLew had more of a conditioning day today after dealing with some family issues and his shoulder. Were just being smart about it. Diontae Johnson is day-to-day with a mild groin strain and will incrementally have his workload increased.
  • Miles Sanders is a man on a mission. Really looking to show what he can do and return to form. Fantastic back and glad he's here.
  • Relationships that he has with Saleh and Hackett will hopefully help with the practice, but is familiar from experiences together last year. Close friends as well so there's a lot of familiarity with one another's schemes and it will be interesting seeing the wrinkles they throw out at one another.

All done until tomorrow morning!

• Pie 8