• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

CMC/Moore/Burns

7 hours ago, Newtcase said:

2024 - Our "full reset" is actually more like a soft reset since Morgan's qualifications are questionable at best and a complete Fitts understudy at worst.  We still have Bryce and that still brings plenty of questions.  We added a complete unknown quantity at coach as well.  So if, or should I say...when the Panthers stink it up again in 2024 where is the blame going to land?  Bryce, Morgan, Canales?  Take your pick!  The beauty of Tepper's management style is you can never truly isolate the problem.

EDIT: Any combination of the above can be true at the same time.

Bryce will be on the chopping block for this season, assuming it goes terribly. They have rightfully attempted to help him succeed this season with investments in guard, wr and rb.

Tepper will attempt to be patient.

New coaches mean new qb, and Canales, if he is still here, will get the chance to call his shot.

A disaster of season probably drives Tepper to fire everyone again and start over.

9 hours ago, KSpan said:

Him, Chris Harris, and Kurt Coleman all fall into the 'flash in the pan' category, guys that captured lighting in a bottle for whatever reason and over-achieved for a season before fading away into JAGness again. It really is crazy just how forgettable, if not outright bad, the safety play has been for 30 years aside from Mike Minter.

The irony is Fox played safety, and Rivera was a defensive guru. 

• Beer 1

8 hours ago, PNW_PantherMan said:

I'm taking the bait.  I argued Moore was not a top end elite #1 receiver, but he was very good.  (We're talking Justin Jefferson, Tyreek Hill, peak Smitty etc.  This is a very high bar for me.)  I still don't think I'm wrong about that, but his contract was a steal.  Trading him was horrendously stupid.  He also elevated his game further after the trade to Chicago.  I did not expect that.  Chicago is historically where WRs go to die.

He definitely made sure to make us look as dumb as possible.

He is just different. Doesn’t look like typical rangy number ones nor Smitty type. But he was thick and strong and didn’t mind putting his back into a block. And an excellent WR. 

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

11 hours ago, PNW_PantherMan said:

He was sold on the "point guard" thing.  You can just tell by the way he talked about it.  I don't think it was his idea but they sold it and he bought it.

It wasn’t but most people in here thought that was the proof that he hand picked Young over everyone else’s wishes. There were two key things IMHO. First when Fitterer said that he was on Young as his top QB for two years. I think that he fell into the blinders that always caught Marty 2.0 (see Little dropping like a rock at the combine for every team except us). Second, Thomas Brown was the one who talked up the whole point guard analogy in a team article in February a couple months before Tepper repeated it in April. I think Tepper was just parroting to be one of the cool kids.

• Pie 3

9 hours ago, PNW_PantherMan said:

I'm taking the bait.  I argued Moore was not a top end elite #1 receiver, but he was very good.  (We're talking Justin Jefferson, Tyreek Hill, peak Smitty etc.  This is a very high bar for me.)  I still don't think I'm wrong about that, but his contract was a steal.  Trading him was horrendously stupid.  He also elevated his game further after the trade to Chicago.  I did not expect that.  Chicago is historically where WRs go to die.

He definitely made sure to make us look as dumb as possible.

I know what you are saying about Moore so don't beat yourself up. Personally, I wanted a QB in 2023 so I was open to trading anyone so we WOULD NOT need to trade up. I would have gotten rid of Burns first, then Moore (QB help) and then CMC (most QB help) but for what we got, we shouldn’t have made any deal. GB offered us a 1st for Moore which ended up being pick 15 or so in the 2023 draft. We know what turned down for Burns and we got basically a mid 2nd value for CMC.

Instead of 3 1sts, 2 2nds and a 3rd plus we got Young and DJ Johnson plus lost the 1st pick in 2024. Basically a swing of 4 1sts/2 2nds which is franchise changing and made worse by the fact that we appear to still have a hole at QB.

• Pie 2

37 minutes ago, WhoKnows said:

It wasn’t but most people in here thought that was the proof that he hand picked Young over everyone else’s wishes. There were two key things IMHO. First when Fitterer said that he was on Young as his top QB for two years. I think that he fell into the blinders that always caught Marty 2.0 (see Little dropping like a rock at the combine for every team except us). Second, Thomas Brown was the one who talked up the whole point guard analogy in a team article in February a couple months before Tepper repeated it in April. I think Tepper was just parroting to be one of the cool kids.

Number one: That seems logical. First time I felt like it made sense.

Number two: I always thought Brown was suspect, I mean, he was a running back what the hell makes him the guy to unlock that outlier? I could never resolve him being a running back that had never been an NFL coordinator before. 

And now it just hit me. Tepper was probably trying to pimp another minority HC prospect so he could get a draft pick. Just like Evero. Who I am gonna miss. 

But he is figuring hey I have all these QB experts I don’t need another one at OC. I can stash this guy at OC and parlay it into looking really smart, on the back of my guaranteed success number one QB. And get a pick! (rubs hands on brass balls while emitting Gollum type utterings).

Edited by strato