• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Why Dave Canales needs live reps with his first-team?

2 hours ago, Davidson Deac II said:

Meh.  I think people feel that way only because its been done that way in the past. IMO, preseason is immensely important for the second/third/fourth stringers, but for the known starters, I doubt it really matters much.  I know that most of you are probably thinking of Bryce, but the reality is that the 15 or so passes he would have made in preseason are highly unlikely to make any difference in his performance this year.  

DeMeco Ryans disagrees with you.

• Pie 1
  • Beer 2

28 minutes ago, WUnderhill said:

I’m not saying reps don’t matter at all, but I just don’t think our whole season rests on whether the starters get like 5 extra reps in a preseason game.

Yeah people are acting as if we are a normal team with normal team questions.  I just don’t think the regular concerns need apply. Because this isn’t really going to be a competitive NFL team this year, most of the time. 

I don’t have any ambition past evaluate the QB over 17 games, and work the offense the first few weeks and see what it gives you.

Defense is going to be okay this year, the head coach needs to get his routine straight and we need to see where the QB stands. Other stuff, sure, but it’s that QB that is the priority and most of us know it. 

• Pie 1

1 hour ago, strato said:

Yeah people are acting as if we are a normal team with normal team questions.  I just don’t think the regular concerns need apply. Because this isn’t really going to be a competitive NFL team this year, most of the time. 

I don’t have any ambition past evaluate the QB over 17 games, and work the offense the first few weeks and see what it gives you.

Defense is going to be okay this year, the head coach needs to get his routine straight and we need to see where the QB stands. Other stuff, sure, but it’s that QB that is the priority and most of us know it. 

QB and it would be nice to see the team get better in a few other areas.  Running game, rushing the passer etc... 

4 hours ago, Davidson Deac II said:

Occam's razor could apply to either playing him or not playing him though.  🙂

Simplest approach - playing him as teams have always done

Simplest approach - sitting him because a few reps in a preseason game are irrelevant.

How's the Occam's razor? I was using a Gillette and then switched to a great value Gillette knock off and it's decent but I'm always up for a suggestion on a good razor.

• Pie 1

8 minutes ago, Davidson Deac II said:

QB and it would be nice to see the team get better in a few other areas.  Running game, rushing the passer etc... 

Main thing is offense and naturally the whole thing includes a new staff and new playbook and how that goes. Will Brooks add a dimension to the offense when he gets out there? etc etc What will Legette look like? Sure. 

I have a feeling we’ll be rebuilding the defensive staff and Evero will probably take some players too. So I am hardly going to treat it real seriously. I expect to enjoy them and be pleasantly surprised.

I would also like to see players develop. 

4 hours ago, LinvilleGorge said:

I don't care about the process. If it gets the results then whatever. If we start out 0-4 looking like trash then it'll be fair to start criticizing the preseason approach.

Yep. The season starts on September 8. That is what matters. 

I feel like it would be pretty insane to go into week 1 at the Saints without Canales and Bryce having any practice reps with the headset communication in an actual game setting. Seems like a pretty important thing to get comfortable with, especially since it's a rookie head coach, first time starter at Center, and Bryce in a new playbook. 

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

6 minutes ago, Jackie Lee said:

I feel like it would be pretty insane to go into week 1 at the Saints without Canales and Bryce having any practice reps with the headset communication in an actual game setting. Seems like a pretty important thing to get comfortable with, especially since it's a rookie head coach, first time starter at Center, and Bryce in a new playbook. 

I think there's a real possibility of that being the case.  I just hope Canales can learn from his mistakes.  I expect a lot of them from a first time HC.

• Beer 2

31 minutes ago, PNW_PantherMan said:

I think there's a real possibility of that being the case.  I just hope Canales can learn from his mistakes.  I expect a lot of them from a first time HC.

I really hope the jets give their 1s the game off, it would be perfect for our 1s to go vs their 2s. Have a nice long sustained TD drive and escape with improved confidence and health.