• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Why Dave Canales needs live reps with his first-team?

1 hour ago, Davidson Deac II said:

Meh.  I think people feel that way only because its been done that way in the past. IMO, preseason is immensely important for the second/third/fourth stringers, but for the known starters, I doubt it really matters much.  I know that most of you are probably thinking of Bryce, but the reality is that the 15 or so passes he would have made in preseason are highly unlikely to make any difference in his performance this year.  

What's the threshold for the amount reps that you think would make a difference?  Whatever number you come up with is how many he should get IMO.  Bryce was terrible last season, he should be out there earning his keep just like anyone else on the team who is being dismissed as a bum or camp fodder.

Edited by Newtcase
  • Pie 2

I like the fact that we are doing more to shore up the bottom of the roster. We pretty much know who our starters are going to be and those at the top of the roster who will contribute to a better season than what we had last year. 10-15 plays in a live game during preseason will not be the deciding factor to how successful we will be. Finding diamonds at the bottom of this roster who can step up when a starter goes down should be more of our focus. We saw what this man did with Baker Mayfield and we can mostly agree that Bryce is a better QB. We have dawgs, and there is no need to let them off the leash to sniff around for food. They get enough live reps in practice and will be well rested for the joint sessions with the Jets. If they play, they play. If they don't, they don't, but from what I have watched, I expect them to be more than prepared when the season starts.

• Pie 1

Preseason is for two things:

1. Knocking the rust off for the starters so you don't have to play catch-up week 1.....getting back used to what it felt like to get hit. (There's a reason there was a week 3 rehearsal for the starters when we had 4 preseason games).

2. Evaluating the depth of your team

Come week 1, if you need a half to get back into the swing of things, then you most likely are already down at halftime and gonna lose that game. Starting off the year 0-1 is something we've come accustom to, and it just so happens we are also usually the ones who just lollygag the preseason with no plan in mind.

• Pie 1
  • Beer 2

1 hour ago, Davidson Deac II said:

Meh.  I think people feel that way only because its been done that way in the past. IMO, preseason is immensely important for the second/third/fourth stringers, but for the known starters, I doubt it really matters much.  I know that most of you are probably thinking of Bryce, but the reality is that the 15 or so passes he would have made in preseason are highly unlikely to make any difference in his performance this year.  

The only issue with that logic is our starters are second/third/fourth stringers on most rosters and the HC is a rookie. They need reps in a live game environment real real bad 

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

11 minutes ago, ForJimmy said:

No doubt Plummer was hard to watch.  He also limited our offensive reps because we couldn't get any first downs.  

The drops didn't help much either.  I do wonder if the early drops impacted his confidence a little.  But his pocket presence was terrible.  

They were 2-15 and those 2 wins took miracles. Super easy to be looking at a 0-17 team.

They lost more talent than gained. Didn't have a true 1st or early one since it went to the bears

Maybe 8 guys don't need PS snaps- Dbrown, moton, Woods, AT, Clowney, Hunt(maybe), and a couple of others overlooked. Hill is one and the ST crew. 

Everyone else ESPECIALLY Young and Ickey needs to better themselves via reps. It's the only way to get better is to play.

• Pie 2

I can't wait to see what comes out about all of this. Not looking like a poorly coached and managed team is the bare minimum and if they are hiding from that then they are so screwed...again. 

It's hard to accept there is some master plan beyond that yet for me and given our recent history that's tough but fair. It's weird and unnecessary, just get guys some reps and get ready to try and not be the laughing stock of the league. 

• Pie 1

2 minutes ago, Davidson Deac II said:

The drops didn't help much either.  I do wonder if the early drops impacted his confidence a little.  But his pocket presence was terrible.  

The drops came WR's that were starters on a 2-15 team. The terrible pocket presence was from 2nd, 3rd and 4th stringers mildly trying to protect him..

• Beer 1

1 hour ago, OceanPanther said:

We don't look like an  NFL  football team. What we saw last week is what we've watched the last few years. WE ARE 32nd worst football team

We can not look at our schedule and pencil in a W on any one game.  Currently we'll will be the underdog in every game. 

You don't get better watching from the sidelines .  

1_Rw-qU4UayhMCXpeAcSwSnQ.thumb.jpg.b1d20f6e3732de8b940f7140ed662737.jpg

images.jpg.f54486fa607fc6f34a1d25c4cecff0ff.jpg

images.jpg.7222d4359c7f217d8b280074e0ddc9fb.jpg

licensed-image.thumb.jpg.8cb3b31b31ea8452976b721fbff79622.jpg

I mean you CAN get better from sitting on the sidelines...

I get what you're saying though and it doesn't apply to Bryce because he started week one last season.

22 minutes ago, Davidson Deac II said:

I absolutely think those drops killed it for him. 2 great throws that would have gone for big first downs.