• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Why Dave Canales needs live reps with his first-team?

5 minutes ago, Davidson Deac II said:

Meh.  I think people feel that way only because its been done that way in the past. IMO, preseason is immensely important for the second/third/fourth stringers, but for the known starters, I doubt it really matters much.  I know that most of you are probably thinking of Bryce, but the reality is that the 15 or so passes he would have made in preseason are highly unlikely to make any difference in his performance this year.  

A 1st time HC who is also the play caller is going to redefine what preseason means, or this is a mistake.  I'll go with Occam's razor here.

• Pie 4
  • Beer 1

5 minutes ago, Davidson Deac II said:

Meh.  I think people feel that way only because its been done that way in the past. IMO, preseason is immensely important for the second/third/fourth stringers, but for the known starters, I doubt it really matters much.  I know that most of you are probably thinking of Bryce, but the reality is that the 15 or so passes he would have made in preseason are highly unlikely to make any difference in his performance this year.  

I sort of agree. Things are different with the 3 game preseason and people have just been slightly adjusting it, not taking a totally rethought approach. It seems like they are doing it out of habit more than logic.

Putting the least experienced out there asap makes sense, at least on one hand. Getting started with that in week 1 might not be dumb.

Because we have a new staff, and the QB didn’t have enough help and now he has help, I just wanted to see it.  Been waiting a long time. I was frustrated by that and a predictable performance by mostly scrubs, but am not really arguing agaionst it after thinking about a little.. 

Man, it makes for a really horrible game watching experience. Not that any preseason is much good. 

1. Preseason is supposed to be where you find out, just what you have, and hopefully use the next practices to identify and work on weaknesses. Bryce getting injured… big whop. If his quality of play, lack of evasiveness and leaky line plays out like we all think it will, there is a pretty good stinking chance that he will not finish the season having played every game. It’s probably going to happen no matter what is done.

2. not playing Bryce and the starters so that people don’t see just how unready you are… automatically makes people suspicious of… just how unready you are. What did these guys work on all camp? 

3. I’ve heard dawgs culture this offseason, but we don’t want them to get hurt so they just won’t play. But other people in the room I guess are less important so they have to suit up? All should play some. All the other guys are risking injury and their career. Show some sack. 

Edited by Gapanthersfan
  • Beer 4

You really only benefit if you hide something good though. Because if you suck the cat will be out of the bag game 1. 

I don’t see the point of hiding a shitty team. I wouldn’t hold them out with that motivating it. 

At the same time, players get better by playing (in games) in a way they do not get from practicing,. 

Edited by strato
  • Pie 1

Yeah, but to be real, they could have a perfectly traditional approach to preseason and with a new offense, new staff, where everyone almost has been promoted to a new higher level, 0-4 is just 0-4 and who would be surprised at it? I mean however they practiced.

33 minutes ago, PNW_PantherMan said:

A 1st time HC who is also the play caller is going to redefine what preseason means, or this is a mistake.  I'll go with Occam's razor here.

Occam's razor could apply to either playing him or not playing him though.  🙂

Simplest approach - playing him as teams have always done

Simplest approach - sitting him because a few reps in a preseason game are irrelevant.

Edited by Davidson Deac II

12 minutes ago, strato said:

You really only benefit if you hide something good though. Because if you suck the cat will be out of the bag game 1. 

I don’t see the point of hiding a shitty team. I wouldn’t hold them out with that motivating it. 

At the same time, players get better by playing (in games) in a way they do not get from practicing,. 

That's why I don't think he is hiding it.  I mean we sucked just as bad in Week 18 (maybe worse) than we did in Week 1.  I don't think having starters get more snaps in preseason was going to change that.  People like to point to last year, but we were just bad last year preseason aside.  I think he is genuinely trying to see what he has for depth/roster spots.  He wants to see if these guys who have little to like live game reps are capable of doing so at a high level.  

• Pie 3

48 minutes ago, Davidson Deac II said:

I think it depends on the situation.  Bill Belichick didn't need preseason w/ Tom Brady. 

Canales has never been a HC.  Canales has only called plays 1 year.  Canales is now going to be doing BOTH....and on top of that doing it with a green not very good QB. 

and most really good QBs, like Mahomes, Allen, Burrow want reps going into a season.  You only get 17 games.  They ain't got time to go in cold and figure out.   I guarantee you a Mahomes would want get out there for example with his never been a center center and see some real reps with him before the season starts.  Probably wants that OL that features not a single person who has played beside someone before to take some live shots and reps before it matters.  Practice far too controlled and predictable. 

• Pie 4

We don't look like an  NFL  football team. What we saw last week is what we've watched the last few years. WE ARE 32nd worst football team

We can not look at our schedule and pencil in a W on any one game.  Currently we'll will be the underdog in every game. 

You don't get better watching from the sidelines .  

• Pie 8