• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

A Joe Person production: Panthers 53-man roster projection August 12th new edition primetime let's go

10 hours ago, Jaxel said:

Need to pick up a developmental QB that gets cut. Hopefully one of the rookies around the league gets axxed because of numbers. Looking at you Milton/Rattler.

It's funny that you mentioned Spencer Rattler. He was the 150th overall pick in the 2024 draft and wasn't taken until the 5th round.

After we picked Legette at the end of the 1st, I was of the opinion that Carolina should have strongly considered taking him once he dropped out of round 3. Rattler & Legette had a great connection at USC. Rattler also has a better arm than Bryce Young. If the team struggles out of the gate in 2024 (a definte possibility after watching how poorly Bryce performed last season), I think having Rattler on the roster  would at least give the Panthers the possibility of attacking downfield and keeping the defenses honest.

• Pie 2

30 minutes ago, SCO96 said:

It's funny that you mentioned Spencer Rattler. He was the 150th overall pick in the 2024 draft and wasn't taken until the 5th round.

After we picked Legette at the end of the 1st, I was of the opinion that Carolina should have strongly considered taking him once he dropped out of round 3. Rattler & Legette had a great connection at USC. Rattler also has a better arm than Bryce Young. If the team struggles out of the gate in 2024 (a definte possibility after watching how poorly Bryce performed last season), I think having Rattler on the roster  would at least give the Panthers the possibility of attacking downfield and keeping the defenses honest.

If Rattler really does have that good of an arm, it's hard to believe he will be cut.

1 hour ago, SCO96 said:

They aren't going to bring in anyone that's going to challenge Bryce, because it would cause problems.  Nobody is going to root for the backup to enter the game when its Jack Plummer.  Neither the fans or players.

• Pie 1
  • Beer 2
  • Flames 1

I miss the glory days when this forum would eviscerate Joe Person after every poo tweet, article, or press conference question.  Just the looks Rivera would give him.  Or that gem when he walked through that video on the practice field.

• Pie 1
  • Beer 2

19 minutes ago, PNW_PantherMan said:

They aren't going to bring in anyone that's going to challenge Bryce, because it would cause problems.  Nobody is going to root for the backup to enter the game when its Jack Plummer.  Neither the fans or players.

This narrative about not wanting to "challenge Bryce" and cause problems might have more credibility if we didn't have a borderline top-10 QB2 on the roster.  You guys keep talking about the FO not wanting to invest in a QB3 in order to coddle Bryce but that ain't how the hierarchy works lol QB3s don't threaten QB1s.  Dalton is plenty enough threat to Bryce; unless you're brand new to the Huddle then you should know that there were absolutely people rooting for him to enter the game over Bryce last season...and Bryce's leash is even shorter this year.

• Beer 1

1 minute ago, MasterAwesome said:

This narrative about not wanting to "challenge Bryce" and cause problems might have more credibility if we didn't have a borderline top-10 QB2 on the roster.  You guys keep talking about the FO not wanting to invest in a QB3 in order to coddle Bryce but that ain't how the hierarchy works lol QB3s don't threaten QB1s.  Dalton is plenty enough threat to Bryce; unless you're brand new to the Huddle then you should know that there were absolutely people rooting for him to enter the game over Bryce last season...and Bryce's leash is even shorter this year.

Yes people wanted to see Dalton play, but he's going to be 37 and was brought in with Bryce to basically be his coach.

For example, let's say we drafted Joe Milton and he made those plays in a Panther uniform last week.  That's a different situation.  Nobody thinks Dalton is the answer.  He hasn't gone into the season as the intended starter in 5 years.  People just want the best QB on the roster to start.  And if that guy is 20 something years old and has showed potential?  The pressure from both the locker room and the fans is going to be a lot greater.

• Pie 3

3 minutes ago, PNW_PantherMan said:

Yes people wanted to see Dalton play, but he's going to be 37 and was brought in with Bryce to basically be his coach.

For example, let's say we drafted Joe Milton and he made those plays in a Panther uniform last week.  That's a different situation.  Nobody thinks Dalton is the answer.  He hasn't gone into the season as the intended starter in 5 years.  People just want the best QB on the roster to start.  And if that guy is 20 something years old and has showed potential?  The pressure from both the locker room and the fans is going to be a lot greater.

My point is that I just don't see any world where a raw developmental QB like Spencer Rattler or Joe Milton beats out Andy Dalton as the QB2 this year.  Andy is like the prototypical vet back-up QB that a team would want to step in if the starter gets injured or benched.  I don't think any team in the league would skip over the consistent experienced vet for the exciting but unpredictable raw late-round rookie.  No amount of fan sentiment would have changed that IMO.

So unless you disagree with the above, then we're talking about long-term prospects with a QB like Milton/Rattler.  I would argue that they would be virtually zero threat to Bryce this season, but potentially next season or the season after.  In which case it doesn't matter because I don't think the team is tied to Bryce after this season if he ends up sucking, so why would they care about a Milton/Rattler threatening his spot after this year?  If Bryce shows he ain't it this year, then I'm willing to bet the team will either outright cut him, or draft his replacement and relegate him to the bench.

• Pie 4

1 minute ago, MasterAwesome said:

My point is that I just don't see any world where a raw developmental QB like Spencer Rattler or Joe Milton beats out Andy Dalton as the QB2 this year.  Andy is like the prototypical vet back-up QB that a team would want to step in if the starter gets injured or benched.  I don't think any team in the league would skip over the consistent experienced vet for the exciting but unpredictable raw late-round rookie.  No amount of fan sentiment would have changed that IMO.

So unless you disagree with the above, then we're talking about long-term prospects with a QB like Milton/Rattler.  I would argue that they would be virtually zero threat to Bryce this season, but potentially next season or the season after.  In which case it doesn't matter because I don't think the team is tied to Bryce after this season if he ends up sucking, so why would they care about a Milton/Rattler threatening his spot after this year?  If Bryce shows he ain't it this year, then I'm willing to bet the team will either outright cut him, or draft his replacement and relegate him to the bench.

I agree.  Andy is the ideal backup, and he's cemented at QB2.  I'm making the assumption that if they drafted a guy in the 5th or later, they would carry him as QB3.  My point is just that they've created a situation deliberately where Bryce is the only guy.  It's his show for better or worse.  It's really questionable when you see teams investing so much in QBs in the draft, yet still taking a shot on another one in the later rounds.  That's how important it is to hit on a QB.  It doesn't matter if you traded the farm for the pick, or you took a guy in the 6th or 7th round.  If it hits, it hits.  And until it does, there's no sense in passing on taking one.

We haven't solved the QB position, but it seems like we're not open to even taking a flier on one until they've moved on from Bryce.  That's questionable management to me.  It's either negligence or they've deliberately created this situation.  And just based off the smell of everything so far, it seems like its deliberate to me.  Yeah that is speculation, but that's what I enjoy doing lol.

• Beer 4

5 minutes ago, PNW_PantherMan said:

I agree.  Andy is the ideal backup, and he's cemented at QB2.  I'm making the assumption that if they drafted a guy in the 5th or later, they would carry him as QB3.  My point is just that they've created a situation deliberately where Bryce is the only guy.  It's his show for better or worse.  It's really questionable when you see teams investing so much in QBs in the draft, yet still taking a shot on another one in the later rounds.  That's how important it is to hit on a QB.  It doesn't matter if you traded the farm for the pick, or you took a guy in the 6th or 7th round.  If it hits, it hits.  And until it does, there's no sense in passing on taking one.

We haven't solved the QB position, but it seems like we're not open to even taking a flier on one until they've moved on from Bryce.  That's questionable management to me.  It's either negligence or they've deliberately created this situation.  And just based off the smell of everything so far, it seems like its deliberate to me.  Yeah that is speculation, but that's what I enjoy doing lol.

Fair enough.  I had pretty much this exact same discussion a few days ago about taking a chance at a late-round QB and my argument boils down to there being essentially zero examples of late-round (5th-7th) franchise QBs outside of obviously Tom Brady.  You're having to go back to like the late 90s/early 00s for fringe franchise guys like Marc Bulger, Matt Hasselbeck, and Ryan Fitzpatrick if I remember correctly (I did the research last week lol).  I do understand the argument about shooting your shot though, even if history doesn't bode well for those QBs panning out to anything more than back-ups.  We'll maybe see if Sam Howell amounts to anything and some would argue that Brock Purdy is a franchise QB (or trending towards it) - those guys maybe have the closest chance to buck that trend IMO.  I'll have to see Milton and Rattler in real action before I'd be willing to add them to that list.

• Pie 4
  • Beer 1